Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I've watched/listened to quite of few of TG's interviews and programs. This one is the first where it's him focused on the Sabres and the players only. Great listen and will give you some insight of what he see's and it's very positive.

The *darkest days* where in the mists of the losing streak and some of the most competitive and skilled players had no faith they could win. He had to change that, one of the most difficult coaching tasks a coach could ever have. He firmly believes it happened in the last 2 weeks of the season. He could see it in the way they carried themselves in the locker room, in meetings, practice and in games. They have turned the hardest corner as a team. He thanked 4 players for their leadership and gave him all their support. Sam Reinhart, Kyle Okposso, Ramus Ristolainen and Eric Stall. Eric gave him a great very long text when he got the job.

Did not and will not coach to win. Winning will happen when they learn to play as a team and get better individually and as a team. This team is to young and skilled to go into lock down mode with a one goal lead, they need to learn to play well and not worry about the win/loss column right now.

Most rewarding thing that happened as interim coach was watching Casey Middlestat blossom. 

Stuck Dahlin and Jokiharju together and told them to *figure it out*. *I'll help you, but you need to make mistakes and over come them*.  Was great to watch them learn and grow and get better every game without the fear of being scolded or benched.

Loves Jack, coached Jack before. Has a great coach player relationship and has talked to him a few times and they where great conversations.

Edit:

Forgot the most important part of the interview IMO.

Asked if he sent resumes out for other jobs?

No, and for 2 reasons. Wrong message to the team. Told his team he wanted more than anything to come back here as their head coach at the end of the season, what kind of message would I send job hunting?

Seen to many coaches that he was coaching against get an NHL head coaching job at the wrong time, team, situation and it didn't last and not because they weren't really good coaches. It's a long time if ever, to get a second try. I really wanted this job. It's the right time, team, place players for me. I know I will, and the team will, have success and I may not get another chance like this.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Speaking of Dahlin, there is a sequence that was much talked about here where someone chipped it back to the point but did it bad and Dahlin hesitated to stop the puck carrier and got burned. There is another sequence not 2 games later where something similar happens and there is no hesitation from Dahlin, he just goes for it and makes contact with the puck carrier disrupting the rush. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of Dahlin, there is a sequence that was much talked about here where someone chipped it back to the point but did it bad and Dahlin hesitated to stop the puck carrier and got burned. There is another sequence not 2 games later where something similar happens and there is no hesitation from Dahlin, he just goes for it and makes contact with the puck carrier disrupting the rush. 

It may be the same sequence you are talking about, but that time when Dahlin reached for a puck along the blueline, oiled it over the forechecker, danced to his right and let go a dart for a goal was a thing of beauty, like water rushing over rocks on a creek bed.

Dahlin is Dahlin because low-percentage plays for most guys aren’t low percentage plays for him. You coach him to play the percentages and you take away what makes him special.

His game seems tailor-made for Donnie’s approach.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

A bedraggled franchise, a physically battered coach who seemed destined to never get his shot, an organizational mantra of E to the 3 that OSP wished he had thought of, trading your franchise center AND his tandem bike partner...

IT COULD WORK!

I was just commenting that he looked more in command of his hockey knowledge and understanding than some coaches I have seen.  The fact that he has been getting interviewed about hockey coaching and analysis by TSN, SportsNet, etc. going back a few years is an indication that he's not a clueless oaf.  It says nothing about the hire except that he probably won't be Rolston or Krueger level.  Yes, that's a low bar to clear, but the Sabres have managed not to clear it twice in the 2010's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.