Stanley Cup Final 2021

Norcal

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Tampa looks clearly like the better and more skilled team. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeah, this isn't really even close.... Gonna be a quick, boring series.... Good job NHL

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Tampa has an absurd amount of talent. Start thinking “dynasty” 

That’s what a team that is 23 million over the cap looks like. (I made that number up, but you know what I mean.)

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That’s what a team that is 23 million over the cap looks like. (I made that number up, but you know what I mean.)

18 mil actually. Craig Rivet on the Instigators predicted the would start dealing with the Sabres to make room.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I understand that those are the rules, and Tampa did nothing wrong per se, but there should be something in place per the NHL, like If a guy doesn't play x amount of games in the regular season then they're not eligible for the playoffs.... Or simply, idk, make the salary cap stand pat throughout the whole ****** season; including playoffs. 

It's a shame to see, a guy like Kucherov isnt a small add, Tampa would be a tough out regardless, but that just takes it to a whole new level. MTL has next to no chance. 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I understand that those are the rules, and Tampa did nothing wrong per se, but there should be something in place per the NHL, like If a guy doesn't play x amount of games in the regular season then they're not eligible for the playoffs.... Or simply, idk, make the salary cap stand pat throughout the whole ****** season; including playoffs. 

It's a shame to see, a guy like Kucherov isnt a small add, Tampa would be a tough out regardless, but that just takes it to a whole new level. MTL has next to no chance. 

For instance telling the Sabres Connolly had to play in the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

You'd think that they could make the salary cap just get weighted over what would be the full run of the playoffs & not just the regular season, but there are some logistical items they'd need to address.

How does this affect teams bringing up the players from their farm teams that are eliminated from the AHL playoffs?  Would they need to go to either their preseason model where the cap can now be exceeded by 10% or an NFL preseason model where only the largest say 23 salaries count against the cap?  How does IR fit into this?  How does this affect early season roster construction - teams oftentimes try to bank cap early to be able to add strong players at the deadline; does this effectively lower team payrolls out of the gate, and if it does will the PA sue for collusion?

Seems the easiest way to avoid this problem is to keep the cap accounting system the same as it has been but to require every player on the playoff roster to have been counting against the cap (and not in a hand waving BF-LTIR way) for at least 1 day during the season or to have cleared waivers and been with the AHL affiliate on the last day of the regular season.

(Which is essentially your 1st suggestion.)

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Tampa has an absurd amount of talent. Start thinking “dynasty” 

I remember posting a few years ago how the Sabres and Lightning would be battling in the playoffs every year. Welp.....got one of em right 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

A few of those players won’t be there next season. I am far far farrrr away from thinking dynasty 

They are one cup away after this year from it being a fact, so, get used to it 

In today's day and age, 3 is a dynasty 

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

It's also what it looks like when a Cinderella team, by way of the changing rules of the playoffs and the gimmick North division, gets to the final and plays an actual good team like Tbay. 

How did Dallas look this year? We see this all the time. The adjustment takes place in the final - Montreal is Dallas from last year but a bit worse (north division) 

I am also saying this is someone who was probably the only person I can remember here picking the Habs to make the conference final 

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They are one cup away after this year from it being a fact, so, get used to it 

In today's day and age, 3 is a dynasty 

Well … if others feel that three is a dynasty, good for them. They only have one as of right now. So again repeating myself… I am far far far away from thinking dynasty. And even if they win the cup this year… Me personally… I am far far away from thinking they are dynasty. if they win the cup this year, and they actually keep the band together for the most part and win the cup again next year.… OK I could see the argument being made that one can consider them a dynasty. But from my view… That is far far away where I stand today. You’re not going to change my mind and I’m not going to change yours. So I am not going to “get used to it” until IT actually happens 👍🏼

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Well … if others feel that three is a dynasty, good for them. They only have one as of right now. So again repeating myself… I am far far far away from thinking dynasty. And even if they win the cup this year… Me personally… I am far far away from thinking they are dynasty. if they win the cup this year, and they actually keep the band together for the most part and win the cup again next year.… OK I could see the argument being made that one can consider them a dynasty. But from my view… That is far far away where I stand today. You’re not going to change my mind and I’m not going to change yours. So I am not going to “get used to it” until IT actually happens 👍🏼

I wouldn't ever rule this out. Anyways...

You made me think of this too many times for me not to post it:

17 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

If it weren't the GMs in charge of making these rules to make their jobs easy, I think stealing a version from the NFL might work. You can designate a couple players as PUP/LTIR before the season and you can free up the roster space/cap until the midway point of the season. But then you have to decide to either activate them (and meet the cap requirements thereof) or shut them down for the entire remainder of the season, including playoffs. It's LTIR, it should give you that mid-season option in case they're healing well, but if you use it later in the season, they're out until the start of the next season start (July 1st UFA period).

In this scenario, once we lost McCabe, we could have put him on LTIR to trade for his replacement for the remainder of the year (you know, if we were contenders). But fast forward to next season -- at the beginning of year, McCabe isn't quite ready so we keep him on LTIR until midseason and then voila, he's back.

It could also create an early unofficial trade deadline as LTIRers return midseason and a wave of veterans at modest prices get released to stay compliant.

I have such little interest in these finals. I don’t believe Montreal is a finals-quality team and believe Tampa will continue to slice through them with ease. I want Montreal to win but if game one is any sign I’d rather just see a sweep to get the off-season started.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.