Eichel to Meet with Sabres to Discuss Options regarding Neck Injury Next Week

Brawndo

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

will they cover it if they deem “unapproved surgery” forced retirement

Even if they did, the way insurance companies work is even if they pay out, they often try to recover some or all of the payout from a responsible party.  If I slip and fall on an icy sidewalk, my insurance will pay for my injury but then they may try to recover cost from the sidewalk owner.

In a case like this, if they pay out to cover Jack Eichel's contract but deem Jack to be a contributing cause because he had non-approved surgery, then they would try to recover some or all of the money from him (sue him).  If the Sabres approve it, they could get sued too.  So when you ask why would the Sabres take such a hard line, it's likely more related to this than it is to be nice to Jack or appear like good guys to the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If nothing works and Jack is done, then no. First thing to figure out is how to fix Jack, after that things should be more clear. 

...if Jack agrees with the Sabres on how to fix Jack. He probably figures the Sabres have been wrong about everything else...Wouldn't it be typical if the Sabres' medical guy on the bench who pressed Jack's neck on the bench, causing him to wince in pain, might have done damage to it? 

Edited by Kong

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

So when do we get an update on Jack. Surgery? Further rehab? On the trade market?  Did a 180 and loves everything Buffalo? etc...

They should have had a re-scan, consulted with the doctors and have a clear course of action by now.

That said, the fact they've been silent tells me there is no surgery planned, it's healing on schedule and they'll continue with conservative treatment.     KA won't want to embarrass Jack by coming out and saying... "see I told you so, no surgery, you're healing on schedule... be patient".      

If the scan looked bad, then they would've come out and said they're moving forward w/ surgery and give timelines on his recovery... but that hasn't been the case.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

They should have had a re-scan, consulted with the doctors and have a clear course of action by now.

That said, the fact they've been silent tells me there is no surgery planned, it's healing on schedule and they'll continue with conservative treatment.     KA won't want to embarrass Jack by coming out and saying... "see I told you so, no surgery, you're healing on schedule... be patient".      

If the scan looked bad, then they would've come out and said they're moving forward w/ surgery and give timelines on his recovery... but that hasn't been the case.

would be great if you are right

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Interesting take and hope you are right. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is really well thought-out.  Thanks, @pi2000

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

If there is a need for surgery there still might be a conflict between the parties as to which surgery is the best course of action. It just seems to me that the medical people who the Sabres are consulting with aren't on board with what they consider to be the more experimental and less conventional  surgical approach. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

If there is a need for surgery there still might be a conflict between the parties as to which surgery is the best course of action. It just seems to me that the medical people who the Sabres are consulting with aren't on board with what they consider to be the more experimental and less conventional  surgical approach. 

Yep Yes GIF by zoefannet

The two positions are:  Let it heal and disc replacement surgery.  There is a third, though:  the less controversial fusion surgery.  If doctors recommend that  and Jack is not on board, we're back to impasse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yep Yes GIF by zoefannet

The two positions are:  Let it heal and disc replacement surgery.  There is a third, though:  the less controversial fusion surgery.  If doctors recommend that  and Jack is not on board, we're back to impasse.

Third option... amputate

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, JohnC said:

Definitely a possibility.  Although I bet that if this were the case, we'd be hearing rumblings about it in hockey media as both sides use their outlets to own the narrative.

The fact that there has been radio silence on this in the past couple weeks feels like a very good sign to me.  As Pi said, at this point if the news wasn't positive and Jack's doc is still hollering for surgery, I feel like we would have heard about it.

10 hours ago, Shootica said:

Definitely a possibility.  Although I bet that if this were the case, we'd be hearing rumblings about it in hockey media as both sides use their outlets to own the narrative.

The fact that there has been radio silence on this in the past couple weeks feels like a very good sign to me.  As Pi said, at this point if the news wasn't positive and Jack's doc is still hollering for surgery, I feel like we would have heard about it.

I hope you are right that not hearing anything new about Jack's health is a good sign. I also believe that both sides understand that public comments emanating from their respective corners is not productive. It only seems to ratchet up the tensions. 

I've been thinking about this video a lot lately.

Part of the poster's comment is also relevant:

"Jack Eichel hang cleans 275x5 like it’s nothing. This is very, very impressive stuff. If you’re a hockey fan, you know Jack as a NHL All-Star who is one of the best young players in the league. If you’ve followed me for awhile, you’ll recognize Jack as the kid who used to do amazing gym feats with me back in middle school and high school (he cleaned 300 pounds when he was 16). We haven’t trained together for four years since I moved to LA and he went to college and now the pros, so it’s great to have him come visit me and throw some weights around for old times sake. He had an unmatched work ethic as a kid and has continued that into his pro career, which is why he’s been so successful."

+++

I have no idea of whether Eichel's commitment to weight lifting played a role in his neck injury. But the idea that he showed up at his old friend's house and started "throwing weights around" (in an impressive fashion) was potentially concerning at the time, and maybe is even more so in hindsight.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm not sure I'm taking away the same thing from those comments that you are. Why is "throwing weights around" what you're fixating on here? 

He showed up to camp injured. Don’t some people believe that he actually injured himself in the weight room last offseason?

It's a very common phrase. Given that jack was lifting such that he could put up the numbers he did at the age he did, he is almost certainly religious about form and doing things properly. That doesn't mean that he didn't or can't get injured training but I think that comment won't give us much insight 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I'm not sure I'm taking away the same thing from those comments that you are. Why is "throwing weights around" what you're fixating on here? 

The timing of the video sounds like it was immediately following the 2017-2018 season. Eichel rolled by for a visit and a hang (in So Cal). They went into his friend's workout room, and, it seems to me somewhat casually, Eichel did the 275x5 reps for "old times sake." As @Randall Flagg notes, it's not as though Eichel had stopped lifting or anything - presumably not. The scene just seemed sort of ... casual, like I said. As if Eichel showed up, and they were going to go for beers and tacos, but on the fly Jack was like "let me see if I can still hang clean (or whatever) 275x5." Oh, and hear what Eichel says at the end: "Still got it!" Does that not imply that he hadn't done that in a while? I dunno. He herniated a disc in his neck. Could overdoing it with the weights have played a role? That seems possible.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

He showed up to camp injured. Don’t some people believe that he actually injured himself in the weight room last offseason?

I don't believe it - I wonder about it, though.

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The timing of the video sounds like it was immediately following the 2017-2018 season. Eichel rolled by for a visit and a hang (in So Cal). They went into his friend's workout room, and, it seems to me somewhat casually, Eichel did the 275x5 reps for "old times sake." As @Randall Flagg notes, it's not as though Eichel had stopped lifting or anything - presumably not. The scene just seemed sort of ... casual, like I said. As if Eichel showed up, and they were going to go for beers and tacos, but on the fly Jack was like "let me see if I can still hang clean (or whatever) 275x5." Oh, and hear what Eichel says at the end: "Still got it!" Does that not imply that he hadn't done that in a while? I dunno. He herniated a disc in his neck. Could overdoing it with the weights have played a role? That seems possible.

That'll sum up Jack's time here: The Wonder Years.

I'll always wonder about what could have been

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can’t muster the energy to care.  The nuances of Eichel’s workout habits will soon be something for another NHL team (fan base) to concern themselves with.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Sure, but a guy just talking the usual bro speak about lifting just seems entirely inconsequential. 

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think you're putting way too much thought into this lol

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.