Eichel to Meet with Sabres to Discuss Options regarding Neck Injury Next Week

Brawndo

What there to meet on? I mean honestly, I get the CBA gives ultimate medical power to the teams. But I highly doubt that’s enforceable, like at all. Politics aside, I can’t put in a prenup that my SO has to get an abortion if they get pregnant. Asking for a permit to protest isn’t an enforceable crime, etc. 

If Jack wants the surgery. Jack gets the surgery. I gotta think the Sabres just look Busch league here. 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

What there to meet on? I mean honestly, I get the CBA gives ultimate medical power to the teams. But I highly doubt that’s enforceable, like at all. Politics aside, I can’t put in a prenup that my SO has to get an abortion if they get pregnant. Asking for a permit to protest isn’t an enforceable crime, etc. 

If Jack wants the surgery. Jack gets the surgery. I gotta think the Sabres just look Busch league here. 

They can not stop him from getting any procedure.  However if he gets something done against the advice of the team, it’s in violation of his contract and could be grounds for to void the remainder of the contract.  It’s not enforceable from the standpoint that they can legally bar him from doing something, but the consequences could be cancellation of the contract.

But I think you are missing the point of the meeting.  The meeting is to decide what to do next based upon the test results from after this 12 week rest/rehab period.  Neither side knows what those results are yet.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres saying they have the same goal here is BS: neither have Jack’s long-term health as their priority.

Jack’s goal is to get back into playing shape as quickly as possible, Buffalo’s is to facilitate a trade of their choosing.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres saying they have the same goal here is BS: neither have Jack’s long-term health as their priority.

Jack’s goal is to get back into playing shape as quickly as possible, Buffalo’s is to facilitate a trade of their choosing.

It's understandable why Jack is impatient to get back on the ice as soon as possible. But that doesn't mean that it is in his interest to risk his long-term hockey and health interest for the short term benefit. Whether Jack is traded or not it is in the organization's interest to get him back to long-term health because his value would be increased. Any team that has an interest in him recognizes that the price will be steep to get him. They are going to have their medical staff review the charts and give their opinions on his long-term status. What I stressing here is that with respect to the health issue Jack and the organization's interests are intertwined and are not very different.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

They can not stop him from getting any procedure.  However if he gets something done against the advice of the team, it’s in violation of his contract and could be grounds for to void the remainder of the contract.  It’s not enforceable from the standpoint that they can legally bar him from doing something, but the consequences could be cancellation of the contract.

But I think you are missing the point of the meeting.  The meeting is to decide what to do next based upon the test results from after this 12 week rest/rehab period.  Neither side knows what those results are yet.

Right. I get that. 

It’s not the point to the meeting, but it is the point of the overall process. 

Has any big 4 league ever voided a contract for their star player (or any player for that matter) for differences in medical care? None of the top of my head or a quick google. 

Ultimately think even threatening control over a medical decision will have severe repercussions for the next few years. If I’m a player on the roster there is no way I sign an extension with an organization even threatening that decision. Especially one that’s been trash for a decade. 

3 hours ago, Mango said:

There is a lot to meet on.  His time table for rest is up and he needs to be re-evaluated, the team has every right to be part of that.  

The team needs to discuss where he is at mentally, based on his year end interview they really do need to keep in contact and decide if he has a place here - remember Adams said they wants people that want to be here.  

The Sabres do not look Busch league.  They are doing what they should be doing.  Adams played for 11 years, this is one area of the job that he should be very comfortable with - open and honest communication with a player is good.  

You want to change the culture?   Then the FO needs to be engaged and transparent with all players.  Like the Bills are.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. I get that. 

It’s not the point to the meeting, but it is the point of the overall process. 

Has any big 4 league ever voided a contract for their star player (or any player for that matter) for differences in medical care? None of the top of my head or a quick google. 

Ultimately think even threatening control over a medical decision will have severe repercussions for the next few years. If I’m a player on the roster there is no way I sign an extension with an organization even threatening that decision. Especially one that’s been trash for a decade. 

It wasn't a voiding of a contract, but when the Sabres thought it was in LaFontaine's LT interest to retire and he refused, they gave him to the Rags for a 2nd rounder.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's understandable why Jack is impatient to get back on the ice as soon as possible. But that doesn't mean that it is in his interest to risk his long-term hockey and health interest for the short term benefit. Whether Jack is traded or not it is in the organization's interest to get him back to long-term health because his value would be increased. Any team that has an interest in him recognizes that the price will be steep to get him. They are going to have their medical staff review the charts and give their opinions on his long-term status. What I stressing here is that with respect to the health issue Jack and the organization's interests are intertwined and are not very different.  

Do you think that is what Jack Eichel thinks?

He's getting an updated scan to see where the healing process is at.   They'll collectively decide the next course of action... wether that's surgery or conservative treatment we don't know yet.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you think that is what Jack Eichel thinks?

Ultimately yes. Jack is young and is passionate about the game. His impulse is to get back on the ice as soon as possible is understandable. I'm sure there are people who care for him who are giving him advice that is different from his impulse. 

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There is a lot to meet on.  He time table for rest is up and he needs to be re-evaluated, the team has every right to be part of that.  

The team needs to discuss where he is at mentally, based on his year end interview they really do need to keep in contact and decide if he has a place here - remember Adams said they want people that want to be here.  

The Sabres do not look Busch league.  They are doing what they should be doing.  Adams played for 11 years, this is one area of the job that he should be comfortable with - open and honest communication with a player is good.  

You want to change the culture?   Then the FO needs to be engaged and transparent with all players.  Like the Bills are.  

If the Sabres want to change the culture, they need to not threaten to void a contract based on differences in opinion on medical care. That’s where the Sabres look Busch League. 

It is really that simple. 

They should be involved in Jack’s mental, emotional, and physical health. Of course. It will be difficult for them to take a step back from their previous flex and focus and focus on general maintenance and care. 

In regards to Adam’s. I don’t know. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and not heap all my Pegula baggage on the guy. But the team has been an embarrassment for nearly a decade from ownership down. And promoting your VP of Business Development to your GM feels like a bad move even though he played in the league. He also seems to have a giant hole in his resume from assistant coach in Buffalo to VP of BD. Like what did he do for those 6 or 7 years? Was he a scout?

I would argue that pulling the “it’s in your contract that we can control this decision regarding medical procedure, otherwise your contract can be voided” card, for what seems like the first time in the history of the big 4 in the US, would indicate that this sort decision isn’t in his wheel house. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Eichel’s biggest risk is if he gets the surgery done without the Sabres Permission and gets to the point where he is unable to play due to His Herinated Disk, the Sabres can at that point terminate the reminder of His Deal 

This is fair and have no issue with it. My issue is it feels like the Sabres led with that point and it has tainted the waters. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres physicians have already demonstrated that they have Jack’s long term health in mind. Standard of care for a herniated disc, unless impinging on a nerve, is conservative observation. Waiting to see if it will self-resolve is in no way counter to Jack’s long-term well-being. Waiting is causing no irreversible damage. Now, going to surgery, while may be indicated, is not a benign procedure. Everyone would like it to go well, but sometimes there are complications. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Wrong verb 

PA is a master bater.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

If Jack wants the surgery. Jack gets the surgery. I gotta think the Sabres just look Busch league here. (I assume you mean bush league)

I have to ask, how will the Sabres look if Jack gets the surgery and it doesn't work?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.