Eichel to Meet with Sabres to Discuss Options regarding Neck Injury Next Week

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

It’s alarming that an NHL org-an-eye zation doesn’t even know what their contractual rights are. 

It's a new rule under the CBA, probably just getting clarification on a few things as they have tens of millions of dollars at stake.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It's a new rule under the CBA, probably just getting clarification on a few things as they have tens of millions of dollars at stake.

You’re absolutely right, I’m just so salty lately towards ownership I think everything they do I’m going to find fault with. But what you’re saying is certainly reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Has anyone bothered to ask why he wasn't shut down weeks earlier when it was obvious the season was toast and thrown out there where he took a hit that turned an injury into a catastrophe?

Weeks earlier?  I think you are misremembering how the season went.  Before the game on February 28th, Sabres had 14 pts in 16 games.  Jack’s last game was March 7th.

Before the hit he took on March 7, he didn’t have a neck injury.  I don’t think the Sabres would have allowed him to play through a cervical disc herniation.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kong said:

This isn't going to end well.

Not a surprise at all. This is heading for divorce. The only question is how soon?

Something struck me listening to KA on the Instigators Friday. There seems to be a concerted PR campaign in effect on two fronts:

1) Granato - he's sure doing a lot of media interviews. I can't recall the last interim coach getting this much attention after a season before he was named permanent. And every interview makes people like him more.

2) Players wanting to be here - This is the constant drumbeat from Adams in every interview he gives. This along with praise for how certain players did under Granato. It all sounds like he's preparing fans for life after Eichel, etc.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

There’s a Rangers blogger who wrote that the issue is that the Pegulas don’t want to *pay* for the surgery.

That guy’s an idiot, right?

The issue is *how* to treat the herniated disc, full stop. Right?

Overseas that surgery is about $12,000 with the best doctors in Europe. In America, maybe it’s $100,000 with insurance. Whoever said that made a ridiculous statement.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Overseas that surgery is about $12,000 with the best doctors in Europe. In America, maybe it’s $100,000 with insurance. Whoever said that made a ridiculous statement.

Thanks. Here’s the link to the write up. It was like a needle off a record, as the rest of the post seems fine.

https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/06/05/friedman-sabres-might-punt-eichel-to-another-team-trade-discount-incoming/?amp

From what is being reported by people outside the team, Buffalo doesn’t want to pay for the surgery. It’s tough to fault Eichel for wanting the surgery, as it has had good success in other patients. Buffalo doesn’t really have a medical leg to stand on, as NFL players have returned to play following the same surgery. What the surgery doesn’t cover is if this is a degenerative issue. Since I am working off Google, I’m not going to speculate on anything regarding degenerative disc issues. I’m focusing solely on the herniated disc treatment only.”

Edited by That Aud Smell

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks. Here’s the link to the write up. It was like a needle off a record, as the rest of the post seems fine.

https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/06/05/friedman-sabres-might-punt-eichel-to-another-team-trade-discount-incoming/?amp

From what is being reported by people outside the team, Buffalo doesn’t want to pay for the surgery. It’s tough to fault Eichel for wanting the surgery, as it has had good success in other patients. Buffalo doesn’t really have a medical leg to stand on, as NFL players have returned to play following the same surgery. What the surgery doesn’t cover is if this is a degenerative issue. Since I am working off Google, I’m not going to speculate on anything regarding degenerative disc issues. I’m focusing solely on the herniated disc treatment only.

This is interesting, because even ROR's bonus was relatively small peanuts to the Pegulas. It was said the reason they didn't want to pay it was more so on principle. Perhaps they've taken a similar stand WRT Jack. 

Just now, Thorny said:

This is interesting, because even ROR's bonus was relatively small peanuts to the Pegulas. It was said the reason they didn't want to pay it was more so on principle. Perhaps they've taken a similar stand WRT Jack. 

Hmm. I don’t think so. I think the writer has made am erroneous inference.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ya, probably. Though I wish this franchise had proven that we could confidently rule out the most ridiculous rumours. Alas, they've proven that's not the case

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

From what is being reported by people outside the team, Buffalo doesn’t want to pay for the surgery. It’s tough to fault Eichel for wanting the surgery, as it has had good success in other patients. Buffalo doesn’t really have a medical leg to stand on, as NFL players have returned to play following the same surgery. What the surgery doesn’t cover is if this is a degenerative issue. Since I am working off Google, I’m not going to speculate on anything regarding degenerative disc issues. I’m focusing solely on the herniated disc treatment only.”

I have not seen this reported in NFL players. Maybe it has, but I haven’t seen it.

And let’s be clear, if this surgery fails, the rest of the contract is going to be paid. I don’t pay attention to the details, but what is this, $50 million?

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Guys, this post is from “blueseatblog” by “Dave” posting unsourced information, other than the Friedman bit we’re all aware of. He’s got less knowledge of this situation than any of us.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Guys, this post is from “blueseatblog” by “Dave” posting unsourced information, other than the Friedman bit we’re all aware of. He’s got less knowledge of this situation than any of us.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SDS said:

I have not seen this reported in NFL players. Maybe it has, but I haven’t seen it.

And let’s be clear, if this surgery fails, the rest of the contract is going to be paid. I don’t pay attention to the details, but what is this, $50 million?

Yep. 3 years down.  5×$10 remaining to go.

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Insurance would cover the contract if injury makes him unable to play. Two interesting points, would be will they cover it if they deem “unapproved surgery” forced retirement and I’m sure there is no coverage if he can play but not be nearly as good due to said injury or ineffective surgery.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Insurance would cover the contract if injury makes him unable to play. Two interesting points, would be will they cover it if they deem “unapproved surgery” forced retirement and I’m sure there is no coverage if he can play but not be nearly as good due to said injury or ineffective surgery.

A 3rd interesting point is how much the premiums for that insurance rise should he actually have surgery on the neck.  (Presuming the insurance company would deem him coverage.  After a certain point, the premiums & delays on how long he has to be out to start payouts make the coverage unaffordable.)

Sabres paid an outrageous amount of LaFontaine's "insured salary" when he was out that last season he played w/ the Sabres.  And the rates were going to go up even more for that time he was a Rag.

IIRC, the insurance didn't kick in until Patty missed a specified # of games.

Have not looked closely at how insurance is addressed in the MOU nor the CBA it tweaks, but would expect the insurance company won't be keen on paying out for any games missed due to issues arising from an "experimental" surgery.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Can you imagine the Sabres being on the hook with a 'damaged' but playable Eichel for $10m and A 'shot' Skinner?  With almost $20m per year tied up for that much time, this would be a dead team walking for the next 3-4 years at least.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Can you imagine the Sabres being on the hook with a 'damaged' but playable Eichel for $10m and A 'shot' Skinner?  With almost $20m per year tied up for that much time, this would be a dead team walking for the next 3-4 years at least.

That's a real concern I would think all the possibilities are being investigated by the team. Frankly it would seem a possibility they would end up eating part of his contract to move him. Hope it doesn't come to that. 

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The possibility that he could truly be "injury prone" & this time with an injury that will substantially affect his play is the only reason am remotely open to trading him.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.