Eichel to Meet with Sabres to Discuss Options regarding Neck Injury Next Week

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think you're putting way too much thought into this lol

Fair. Entirely possible.

I will just add: That video immediately - viscerally - struck me as odd when I first saw it. There was no over-thinking it at that point. Just something about it had me like "... huh."

45 minutes ago, darksabre said:

These are just two dudes broing out over some weightlifting. I wouldn't be looking for nuance in their words. Chyeah. 

"Old times sake."

"Still got it!"

I'm not looking for nuance. Those phrases mean what they mean.

Now, I will admit, those meatheads may not have meant (or even known) what those phrases mean or naturally imply.

And yet.

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair. Entirely possible.

I will just add: That video immediately - viscerally - struck me as odd when I first saw it. There was no over-thinking it at that point. Just something about it had me like "... huh."

"Old times sake."

"Still got it!"

Now, I will admit, those meatheads may not have meant (or even known) what those phrases mean or naturally imply.

And yet.

Took the quotes as simply referring to the 2 of them having last trained together 4 years prior & him showing his friend that he can still bring it just like in olden days.

Didn't see it as an indication that he hadn't done that in the interim.  Ymmv.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Took the quotes as simply referring to the 2 of them having last trained together 4 years prior & him showing his friend that he can still bring it just like in olden days.

Didn't see it as an indication that he hadn't done that in the interim.  Ymmv.

Strikes me that maybe he would have laid off certain performative (?) weight lifting feats (like this one), as he moved into professional hockey and got into (prescribed) workout routines more tailored for the pro hockey game. And if this were immediately following an NHL season? More so.

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Strikes me that maybe he would have laid off certain performative (?) weight lifting feats (like this one), as he moved into professional hockey and got into (prescribed) workout routines more tailored for the pro hockey game. And if this were immediately following an NHL season? More so.

Performative?  I mean, it’s a real strength training exercise.

Eichel is well known for lifting a lot of weights.  I don’t think he stopped when he got to the NHL.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair. Entirely possible.

"Old times sake."

"Still got it!"

And yet.

They honestly probably don't mean anything. Like, they could have lifted together the day before and they'd still be saying that stuff because meaningless gym banter is exactly that. 

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's a very common phrase. Given that jack was lifting such that he could put up the numbers he did at the age he did, he is almost certainly religious about form and doing things properly. That doesn't mean that he didn't or can't get injured training but I think that comment won't give us much insight 

Also, religious and committed as he might be in the weight room, doesn't mean he couldn't have gone to a buddy's house, maybe had a few and decided to show off and be stupid. There's no way to know, but IF (stress IF) he did injure himself in some off season dumb way and the Sabres know about it, it might explain their entire attitude towards him. But no way to know. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We literally watched Eichel get injured on ice. There's a video of it where he hurts his neck. 

Jack told us his injuries: a groin/leg injury from last season that was never healed, a broken rib while shooting before training camp and the neck injury from the Isles game.  Why are some people looking for conspiracies about weight lifting?

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Jack told us his injuries: a groin/leg injury from last season that was never healed, a broken rib while shooting before training camp and the neck injury from the Isles game.  Why are some people looking for conspiracies about weight lifting?

No idea. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Wow, all these injuries. Wonder if he was taking any pain medication....

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We literally watched Eichel get injured on ice. There's a video of it where he hurts his neck. 

My sense was, and is, that the neck injury pre-dated that specific incident -- that getting nudged into the boards aggravated it, worsened it.

I'm the one who introduced the weightlifting issue. There's no conspiracy being suggested. I am wondering - sure, speculating - as to whether being an apparent nutter for throwing weights around would have prevented, or maybe  somehow contributed, to his injuries, including the herniation of a cervical disc.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No idea. 

For ready reference, see above.

p.s. This is a message board. And I'm just asking questions.

• Like (+1) 1

Sure. Training camp.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a professional hockey player fracturing a rib  on a slap shot before.

Also, what would the contractual ramifications be if he was injured in the offseason? RK’s vague responses to the injury questions raised my spidey senses.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sure. Training camp.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a professional hockey player fracturing a rib  on a slap shot before.

Also, what would the contractual ramifications be if he was injured in the offseason? RK’s vague responses to the injury questions raised my spidey senses.

Do we know the player who took the slap shot? 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I thought he was hit with a shot practicing tip ins. Is that wrong?

He was working with Matt Ellis at the time but I don't see anything about him being hit with a puck. Of course all of this is shrouded in mystery. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He was working with Matt Ellis at the time but I don't see anything about him being hit with a puck. Of course all of this is shrouded in mystery. 

Matt Ellis? You don't say. And who was going to benefit if Jack got hurt?

• Haha (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

My sense was, and is, that the neck injury pre-dated that specific incident -- that getting nudged into the boards aggravated it, worsened it.

My recollection of the injury is that Jack got a turdburger of a nudge and his head contacted the glass at a strange angle and he couldn't for a brief moment pull himself away, he was almost stuck to the glass, and something happened in that moment. It's fair to wonder if some pre-existing injury contributed to that sequence of events.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My recollection of the injury is that Jack got a turdburger of a nudge and his head contacted the glass at a strange angle and he couldn't for a brief moment pull himself away, he was almost stuck to the glass, and something happened in that moment. It's fair to wonder if some pre-existing injury contributed to that sequence of events.

You snatched the words right off my keyboard.  I thought immediately, "there's something already wrong with his neck."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The thing with the "conditioning" injury was it was never reported just what it was.  We were hearing ribs and also shoulder through the grapevine.  Talking heads were saying rib(s); other sources were saying shoulder.  During the season, Rob Ray actually talked about Eichel playing through a shoulder injury during a broadcast.

And the way he tended to avoid contact when possible would support the rib theory.  The way his shot still had velocity but not the same accuracy supported the shoulder theory.  Hindsight being 20/20, now suspect he was playing through both though the "shoulder" was likely actually the precursor to the severe neck injury that ended up ending his season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.