Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

36 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd pretty much agree, hence why I think its more or less a smoke screen for him that Buffalo is just playing along with. 

If they actually do trade Skinner, I think the needle moves a bit toward landing Brindy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't believe it STILL has to be explained to people.

The people who are pushing back against the sentiment in the original post are well-aware of Pegula’s meddling and failure. This just isn’t an example of it.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

My hope is that they really insulate him with top notch Assistant Coaches.

I think Granato will be able to bring in good assts.  He's got a lot of connections.  I think one of the development guys (Ellis?) will remain, plus someone from outside the organization.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If they actually do trade Skinner, I think the needle moves a bit toward landing Brindy.

The guys wife is from Raleigh and he's built a life there over the last 20 some odd years. Why on earth would Skinner be some magical thing that not being here changes his mind? He's not coming to Buffalo because it's 12 hours from his home and a dumpster fire team. If I were rich like him I'd take 2mil less to stay in NC. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The guys wife is from Raleigh and he's built a life there over the last 20 some odd years. Why on earth would Skinner be some magical thing that not being here changes his mind? He's not coming to Buffalo because it's 12 hours from his home and a dumpster fire team. If I were rich like him I'd take 2mil less to stay in NC. 

You don't know for sure until you talk though, right?  Everyone keeps dismissing the possibility of RB out of hand.  Until you talk (or he declines) you just don't know.  Sure he could use the Sabres as leverage to get a better deal out of Carolina, but if it doesn't happen, maybe he spends a couple years in Buffalo getting rich and his wife stays behind in Raleigh.  A lot of sports people maintain an off-season home in the city of their choosing and their family stays behind.  The wife and kids can visit when the team has travel breaks but stay back in Raleigh as their home base.

1 minute ago, Nitro60 said:

Sabres will be hard pressed to hire a quality coach who needs to make the playoffs in quick order when there are rumors of a fire sale on the top talent.   

I think this ship has sailed for those in charge 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

Sabres will be hard pressed to hire a quality coach who needs to make the playoffs in quick order when there are rumors of a fire sale on the top talent.   

Other than the guy who has a long track record of coaching multiple teams and almost always ending up in the playoffs who has pretty much said "Hey guys give me a call!". But hey, why make a hire that would give this organization actual credibility when we can go for yet another entry level hire and continue to fail?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Other than the guy who has a long track record of coaching multiple teams and almost always ending up in the playoffs who has pretty much said "Hey guys give me a call!". But hey, why make a hire that would give this organization actual credibility when we can go for yet another entry level hire and continue to fail?

Who?

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I assume he means Gallant. 

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

They did interview Boudreau.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, Flashsabre said:

I think at the end of the day Granato will be the coach unless Lambert blows their doors off.

My hope is that they really insulate him with top notch Assistant Coaches.

FWIW- My kid plays hockey against Ellis' kid's team (and Adams') that was coached by Ellis. They are always among the best teams in N. America despite having no ringers like most of the other top teams.

While its easy to say its because he played in the NHL and has more experience than the other coaches, anyone i know that's talked to him would agree that its really because hes such a student of the game. Also note that there are plenty of other minor hockey coaches that have had similar pro hockey experience as Ellis and they don't move the needle for their teams at all.

Also, the fact that he was able to carve out any type of NHL career was not because of God given talent, but it was because of what he had upstairs. Personally, I think we should keep him. 

Also, i think Girardi brings a lot of credibility for our young D. We should keep him too.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if they wait until the Eichel situation resolves. 

I think this makes sense. They won't want the negative PR being one of the first things in the new coach's tenure. It'll also give them an opportunity to create a new headline. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think this makes sense. They won't want the negative PR being one of the first things in the new coach's tenure. It'll also give them an opportunity to create a new headline. 

Yup, eichel trade, then Granato who can say "I never had Eichel as a player my focus is on ...." and that will be it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.