Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk he seemed to inspire the entire team last year. Really depends on who his assistants are. 

Also could be WGR trying to bump up listeners

And who the goalies are. Goalies determine a coach's fate more than any other position.

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's amazing that the right candidate for open positions just happens to always have been here all along

Karmanos is the only guy here who wasn't under the Botterill/Krueger umbrella 

If only we had known... it was the Saberspacers we made along the way.

8 minutes ago, Kong said:

I was just thinking how different things would be if the Pegulas had taken the $10 million they sunk into the locker room and used it to choose the exact correct coach and GM from the very beginning of their regime, instead of this endless parade of front-office losers.

Except even if they had chosen the right person, it's become apparent that they don't have the ability to see it through on the hockey side because it's not an easy fix once you destroy the team and its farm system to tank.

My question is now: Who is TPeg being enamored by currently who is the team's next savior? The Ehrhoff, Leino, McDavid/Eichel, Mittelstadt, Skinner, UPL, Hall that he sees in a WJC/playoffs and pushes for him to be on the team post-haste. And yes, I've included UPL because of the thread/line here on Sabrespace that TPeg was convinced UPL should have been already in Buffalo ... was it the '19-'20 season? Because that target is the player that Karmanos has to show his power to either approve or rein back the owner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

It was probably already a done deal just did the " Coach search" to make people happy .

I don't think one person got a second interview i wonder why 🤫

I did hear that a few candidates got second interviews

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Of the names I've heard I'm okay with it.

Eh, I was hoping for Grönborg, if only because I don't want to see a certain Swede's meltdown if anyone else is selected.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman also mentioned a few weeks back about Matt Ellis remaining in an Asst Role 

But who will do player development???

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

IMO the Eichel situation needs to be settled before hiring a coach.    It changes the direction of team and what type of coach will be affective.   

And I'm sure some of the veteran candidates have told KA that if Eichel's out, then I'm out.

I respectfully disagree. I agree with you that the direction of the team is going to be affected by the Eichel decision. It would be a mistake to base a coaching decision on how it will affect a particular player. The issue is who is the best coach the roster assembled. A good coach is a good coach. If it is good for the team it would be good for Jack if he stays. 

41 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

My question is now: Who is TPeg being enamored by currently who is the team's next savior? The Ehrhoff, Leino, McDavid/Eichel, Mittelstadt, Skinner, UPL, Hall that he sees in a WJC/playoffs and pushes for him to be on the team post-haste.

Out of the GMs under Pegula, I feel that KA is the only one with a shot of running the hockey operation without meddling from the Pegulas.  I think (hope) he knows how to handle them and convince them that what he wants to do is what they want him to do instead of the other way around.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. I agree with you that the direction of the team is going to be affected by the Eichel decision. It would be a mistake to base a coaching decision on how it will affect a particular player. The issue is who is the best coach the roster assembled. A good coach is a good coach. If it is good for the team it would be good for Jack if he stays. 

I think they probably did determine their coach based off of their decision with regards to Eichel. There was the path w/Jack and the path w/o, they picked the path and then that made the coach choice, from their perspective, obvious 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If it turns out that it is Meatballs, I actually feel it's more likely Eichel stays.  I think it will still be a rebuild/development year but with with Jack still here, I think there will be a solid first line and the middle six will not be given too much of a load and that the team truly will be a solid playoff team. 

It will of course depend on the progress of his herniation.  I was watching a baseball game yesterday and they mentioned that the pitcher had multiple herniations previously and he was lights out good.  Considering the stress pitching puts on a body, I took that as a good omen for Jack's situation.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If it turns out that it is Meatballs, I actually feel it's more likely Eichel stays.  I think it will still be a rebuild/development year but with with Jack still here, I think there will be a solid first line and the middle six will not be given too much of a load and that the team truly will be a solid playoff team. 

It will of course depend on the progress of his herniation.  I was watching a baseball game yesterday and they mentioned that the pitcher had multiple herniations previously and he was lights out good.  Considering the stress pitching puts on a body, I took that as a good omen for Jack's situation.

This is good to hear, but Hockey has physical contact and pretty much every scrum involving Jack will involve punches or cross checks to His Neck particularly if He is down on the ice. Losing Player for 2 minutes to a penalty is worth it especially  if it knocks Eichel out of the game 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is good to hear, but Hockey has physical contact and pretty much every scrum involving Jack will involve punches or cross checks to His Neck particularly if He is down on the ice. Losing Player for 2 minutes to a penalty is worth it especially  if it knocks Eichel out of the game 

Spot on. Jack will be a target for all kinds of extra-curricular douchebaggerie in an effort to get him off his game or out of the game. 

As well as Granato did, and I saw improvement from several players as well as a better attitude, , he went 9-16 and I don't think that's a good enough record for him to be retained. I'd much rather have a coach with a lot of experience winning in the NHL. A Boudreau or a Gallant. Also if I was Eichel, I'd simply sit out this entire upcoming year and let it heal completely. I think if he comes back too soon or surgically tries to fix it, whatever team he's on, he'll be courting disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman wonders if Adams is waiting to talk to Lane Lambert 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambert was a good AHL coach in Milwaukee, was promoted to Nashville with Trotz, followed him to Washington, Trotz made him Associate Head Coach so he could move from Washington to the Island with him.  I think he has a lot to do with the structure the Isles play with.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Kong said:

As well as Granato did, and I saw improvement from several players as well as a better attitude, , he went 9-16 and I don't think that's a good enough record for him to be retained. I'd much rather have a coach with a lot of experience winning in the NHL. A Boudreau or a Gallant. Also if I was Eichel, I'd simply sit out this entire upcoming year and let it heal completely. I think if he comes back too soon or surgically tries to fix it, whatever team he's on, he'll be courting disaster. 

Who played net in those games? Do you think Boudreau and Gallant would do better with those goalies in net?  I have no problem if someone preferring Boudreau or Gallant but can’t support Granato’s record with those goalies as a reason to not consider him.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I believe that’s Why He has the Associate Head Coach Title 

He has it because Washington weren’t going to let him go to the Island as an assistant coach. That is a lateral move and teams don’t have to allow lateral moves. Giving him Associate Head Coach title makes it a promotion and teams can’t stand in the way of promotions.  He is probably the guy to replace Trotz though if he doesn’t get a HC job somewhere else.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

And who the goalies are. Goalies determine a coach's fate more than any other position.

If only we had known... it was the Saberspacers we made along the way.

Except even if they had chosen the right person, it's become apparent that they don't have the ability to see it through on the hockey side because it's not an easy fix once you destroy the team and its farm system to tank.

My question is now: Who is TPeg being enamored by currently who is the team's next savior? The Ehrhoff, Leino, McDavid/Eichel, Mittelstadt, Skinner, UPL, Hall that he sees in a WJC/playoffs and pushes for him to be on the team post-haste. And yes, I've included UPL because of the thread/line here on Sabrespace that TPeg was convinced UPL should have been already in Buffalo ... was it the '19-'20 season? Because that target is the player that Karmanos has to show his power to either approve or rein back the owner.

Owen Power.  Terry loved watching him on TV at the World Championships.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

As I stated in other posts I believe that the hiring of a HC and the Eichel saga are separate issues. Would the Sabres be better off if Eichel stays? If healthy, without a doubt. But if he wants out or the GM and organization don't believe that he is committed to the team he will be moved. There is a timing issue with Jack that relates to clauses in his contract. If the Jack issue is put off for another year the organization will lose some leverage if they decide to move him later rather than sooner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kong said:

Also if I was Eichel, I'd simply sit out this entire upcoming year and let it heal completely. I think if he comes back too soon or surgically tries to fix it, whatever team he's on, he'll be courting disaster. 

I completely agree with this.  Him trying to rush things just seems really impetuous.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.