Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

Also, if Jack looks great in Anaheim, and the return ends up to be sort of the milquetoast people are expecting, yet we improve slightly after actually adding a goaltender and a competent coach, with players leading the charge (Cozens?) that Eichel never really got to play with (We never really gave him that 2C after ROR), with Adams properly supplementing the roster, and a return to our old division and competition, I AM going to claim I'd have loved to see Jack with this unit (and have been for a while. Seems a shame to me he's being moved, as others have expressed, just as we might actually be adding youthful talent).

The hardest part of trading Jack, for me, is giving up on what might have been, which I believe could have been the case. Just putting this out there because of something @PASabreFan said in convo the other day. I can tell by your post PA that you'll probably disagree with my take here, and that's fine, but correct me if I am wrong but you alluded to it as somewhat of a chicken and egg/moving the goalposts type deal - wanted to put this out there in advance.

Caveat, also, that being intrigued by and wishing to have seen Jack with a competent roster and expressing said sentiment is not akin to dwelling on it if we actually get a good team. It's still about the results, in the end. 

I think people would have "let go" of ROR by now, too, if we were winners. Like Mogilny.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The hardest part of trading Jack, for me, is giving up on what might have been, which I believe could have been the case. Just putting this out there because of something @PASabreFan said in convo the other day. I can tell by your post PA that you'll probably disagree with my take here, and that's fine, but correct me if I am wrong but you alluded to it as somewhat of a chicken and egg/moving the goalposts type deal - wanted to put this out there in advance.

Caveat, also, that being intrigued by and wishing to have seen Jack with a competent roster and expressing said sentiment is not akin to dwelling on it if we actually get a good team. It's still about the results, in the end. 

I think people would have "let go" of ROR by now, too, if we were winners. Like Mogilny.

I am largely with you -- Just as I think the roster finally will give Jack and Sam the support they need to lead the team out of the wilderness, WHOOSH out the window they go.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I am largely with you -- Just as I think the roster finally will give Jack and Sam the support they need to lead the team out of the wilderness, WHOOSH out the window they go.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if there will be outrage over the Eichel trade.

I don’t sense that here, mostly fatalism, and less love for the player than most would expect.

all those eichel jerseys...  smh

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'll just repurpose my Eichel 15 to a Sheehan. No issue. 

It's an issue for my 11 year-old, for whom Eichel IS the Sabres, and whom now will likely move on to another team or stop watching hockey altogether.  And while that might seem like a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, there are a ton of young potential Sabres fans out there who will be losing their only real connection to a crappy product.  The brand is on serious life support - the folks who take the time to post on this board are the outliers, not the norm.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Cascade Youth said:

It's an issue for my 11 year-old, who only knows Eichel when it comes to the Sabres, and now will likely move on to another team or not watching hockey at all.  And while that might seem like a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, there are a ton of young potential Sabres fans out there who will be losing their only real connection to a crappy product.  The brand is on serious life support - the folks who take the time to post on this board are the outliers, not the norm.

(I'm actually really annoyed about it all and my jersey, too - it's not trivial to me)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

It's an issue for my 11 year-old, for whom Eichel IS the Sabres, and whom now will likely move on to another team or stop watching hockey altogether.  And while that might seem like a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, there are a ton of young potential Sabres fans out there who will be losing their only real connection to a crappy product.  The brand is on serious life support - the folks who take the time to post on this board are the outliers, not the norm.

Bills sucked forever and they turned it all around in a season or two of being good. That's all it takes 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I disagree with this.  The people on this board are the one's who are going to go to the extremes.  Most fans are going to stop caring until the Sabres are relevant again and at that point they will be back.  They aren't going to jump ship.  They don't care enough to do that. They will find something else to provide them value. Day in and day out they just don't care enough.

As for all the young children out there who will lose their connection to the Sabres.  Stuff happens.  Some day they will grow up to understand the business of the sport. The dynamics of human personalities.  Until then, they'll make their decisions based on their limited scope of experience and what they are taught or see from the more experienced around them.

The height at which you place your idols is directly proportional to the probability they come crashing down.

They greater importance you place on your idols is directly proportional to the impact they will have when they hit the ground.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if there will be outrage over the Eichel trade.

I don’t sense that here, mostly fatalism, and less love for the player than most would expect.

After 10 ####ing years, it is hard to conger outrage, but am fairly certain am going to be ticked off at this off-season.

They've finally amassed assets that could allow this team to be more than just the Eichel line & 1 other being worth watching and should they finally have a goaltending battery for the 1st time since before Miller's departure they could actually be good.  Bring back McCabe & Ullmark; add Danault & a goalie as good as Ullmark or better yet better than him and get the coach right and they have a competitive fun to watch team that will only improve over the next 3+ years.  Getting really greedy, come up with a 4C and maybe an extra 4/5D to have no pressure on the kids & to cover until McCabe is healthy.

That SHOULDN'T be hard to find.  1 ####ing year where there is a supporting cast AND a healthy Eichel on day 1 shouldn't be something that couldn't/can't happen ONE ####ing time over 7 years.  And now we're bracing for that not only not happening in year 7, but never.

This sucks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

My loyalty is to the Sabres not players.  I won't be upset if Eichel goes.  I also think we have another chance to be good with a few decisions made correctly.   The more I watch playoff hockey,  the more I think Eichel and Sam are the type of players that would easily get neutralized.  

So I don't want to build with them any longer.  I'm ready to try and build differently. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

My loyalty is to the Sabres not players.  I won't be upset if Eichel goes.  I also think we have another chance to be good with a few decisions made correctly.   The more I watch playoff hockey,  the more I think Eichel and Sam are the type of players that would easily get neutralized.  

So I don't want to build with them any longer.  I'm ready to try and build differently. 

If Eichel and Sam would get neutralized why would other teams trade for them? Sorry I can't agree, when healthy, Eichel is a top 10-15 player in the NHL. Sam maybe in the top 30-40. Moving on from your two best players not the wisest of moves in a team that struggles to score even with them here. I understand if either one really have issues playing here you move them but moving them for asking of making a move to try and ignite something new isn't smart. You get better by surrounding your talent with better talent. 

6 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

My then 10 year old kept asking why we traded ROR while watching him win the Conn Smyth.  Really don't want to go through this again.  Adams should just tell Eichel we are not trading you and we will do everything to build this team(like get a goalie or 3).

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

If Eichel and Sam would get neutralized why would other teams trade for them? Sorry I can't agree, when healthy, Eichel is a top 10-15 player in the NHL. Sam maybe in the top 30-40. Moving on from your two best players not the wisest of moves in a team that struggles to score even with them here. I understand if either one really have issues playing here you move them but moving them for asking of making a move to try and ignite something new isn't smart. You get better by surrounding your talent with better talent. 

There's other ways to be smart with 17 million a season. I just don't think those two play the type of hockey, that if we get there, we'd go far.

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

all those eichel jerseys...  smh

I've got a Reino jersey.  If they trade him I won't have a current player's journey.

9 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Winning fixes all ills.

Edited by Doohickie

Friedman had an interesting choice of words in his Adams/Granato meeting tidbit.

“No finality there yet.” 

Because this has been followed up by Wawrow’s report that the finalist is off to Florida to meet with the king and queen, I’m going to conclude that Donnie is the candidate Terry needs to rubber stamp.

If Kevyn met with Donnie to tell him they are offering someone else the job, that constitutes finality.

I cannot see a scenario where Kevyn met with Donnie in advance to tell him someone else is going to meet with Terry, but he’s still in the running. Donnie knows they are looking at other people. That wouldn’t require a face-to-face meeting.

However, I can see Kevyn meeting with Donnie to say, ‘you are the finalist, but you’ve got one more hurdle, you need to meet with Terry.’ With the understanding that if that meeting goes well, Donnie will be offered the job.

To me, it’s the only scenario that fits with both reports.

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Friedman had an interesting choice of words in his Adams/Granato meeting tidbit.

“No finality there yet.” 

Because this has been followed up by Wawrow’s report that the finalist is off to Florida to meet with the king and queen, I’m going to conclude that Donnie is the candidate Terry needs to rubber stamp.

If Kevyn met with Donnie to tell him they are offering someone else the job, that constitutes finality.

I cannot see a scenario where Kevyn met with Donnie in advance to tell him someone else is going to meet with Terry, but he’s still in the running. Donnie knows they are looking at other people. That wouldn’t require a face-to-face meeting.

However, I can see Kevyn meeting with Donnie to say, ‘you are the finalist, but you’ve got one more hurdle, you need to meet with Terry.’ With the understanding that if that meeting goes well, Donnie will be offered the job.

When Granato is hired it'll represent the only offseason prediction a full 100% of the board got right - the "search" always felt like a means to a conclusion quite simply already penciled in. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

“No finality there yet.” 

Are you forgetting the owner of the team, Kim Pegula?

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

When Granato is hired it'll represent the only offseason prediction a full 100% of the board got right - the "search" always felt like a means to a conclusion quite simply already penciled in. 

This sounds sinister, but is it really?

If Granato was RKv2, in both style and substance, don’t you think he would be gone also? 

Can it also be said that Granatos time behind the bench and his time in front of the fan base earned him the opportunity and most just recognized it?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.