Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

After watching the Isles make the conference Finals again I sure hope Lane Lambert is on their list. He is a big part of the structure they play with. His title is Associate Head Coach  but I think he would be ready for a Head Coaching gig.

Edited by Flashsabre

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres are going to screw Granato just long enough for him to go elsewhere and then hire an inferior coach with all their slow moving shenanigans. Gallant would have been great before Krueger but here we are. Hire a guy you know has a connection and at least mild success with the group. 

Nah.

Do better.

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

After watching the Isles make the conference Finals again I sure hope Lane Lambert is on their list. He is a big part of the structure they play with. His title is Associate Head Coach  but I think he would be ready for a Head Coaching gig.

The Sabres could do a heckuva lot worse than a good Trotz protege, if that's what Lambert is.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres could do a heckuva lot worse than a good Trotz protege, if that's what Lambert is.

He was a good AHL Head Coach and then coached under Trotz in Nashville, Washington, and Trotz made him Associate Head Coach so he could move from Washington to the Isles.

• Like (+1) 2

IMO the Eichel situation needs to be settled before hiring a coach.    It changes the direction of team and what type of coach will be affective.   

And I'm sure some of the veteran candidates have told KA that if Eichel's out, then I'm out.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

And I'm sure some of the veteran candidates have told KA that if Eichel's out, then I'm out.

Maybe...Maybe not.....Eichel could very well be an enormous pain in the ass to deal with for a coach or fellow teammates. Have you ever noticed that the National hockey media guys never refer to him as a "great guy"... "a great locker room presence".... "character guy"...'leader". He is only referred to in regard to his talent. Doesn't that signal something?

Maybe some coaches won't take the job unless the poison is gone........its a possibility

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Anyone in the org that thinks like the bold shouldn’t be in charge. 

An absolute losers mentality, imo, no offence (as you aren’t running the team)

IMO this is too similar to the prevalent twitter notion of “there’s nothing we can do for years” line of thinking. We haven’t even had a second C or goaltending, if we actually *improved* the roster, a wildcard would be in reach. 

“Not mortgaging the future” for a decade has done a good job ensuring that future never came. What are we waiting for, the player we trade Eichel for to....become Jack Eichel? History is full of teams turning it around in way quicker fashion, and we want to punt away multiple seasons in advance in the name of not being able to compete with the likes of Montreal.

Absolute Losers Mentality?  It’s called reality dude. This team as currently constructed is the vision of three separate GMs and has finished 31st two out of the past four years, it hasn’t worked. The Atlantic  TB, TOR, FLA, BOS, MTL,  OTT,  and The Metro has PIT, NYI, CAR, WSH, NYR. Which team are the 2021-22 Sabres beating for a WC Spot. They have had Their Second Line Center on the roster since the 2014 Draft and only realized it after Eichel’s Injury and the Staal Trade this year. 

There are 387 days until Samson reaches UFA Status and Eichel’s NMC Kicks in, which translates into Adams and Company having one more season to get things right with this group and by all accounts they won’t have the chance. Eliotte Friedman was on the Local NBC Station in Buffalo and mentioned that Eichel, Reinhart and Risto are all looking for fresh starts and that the Sabres are as well.  If you still think Jack is still part of the Sabres Future Plans or that the Sabres are part of His I don’t know what to tell you. 

Even if those three players gave Adams this season to build a winner, how does he do it? The First Overall Pick shouldn’t touch the NHL before March. Danault is the only pending UFA Center who would be a good 2C, but I doubt Montreal let’s Him hit UFA after His Playoffs. RNH? It will be a gross overpay and he couldn’t get the job done with McDavid but maybe He has more Success Here. (Doubtful)  

Goaltending? Look at Toronto, Carolina and Pittsburgh they all need goalies. One of those options will probably be attractive to Ullmark and the other UFAs. 

Which leaves Adams with the choice trading younger players or draft picks in attempt to get better for a team that two best players probably do not want to play for.  I’ll pass. 

Now if the Sabres are truly looking for a Fresh Start as EF Mentioned. Take the players and picks they will get from the Reinhart and Eichel Deals and have Granato develop them.  Look for opportunities to make a Devon Toews type deal from a Cap Strapped Team.  Use the extra cap space they have to take on a bad deal with one year remaining as long as an asset is included. Have a GD Plan and actually see it through for once.

We might be impatient about How Long this mess has been going on, but there is a reason Botterill seemed to be moving so damn slow. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk he seemed to inspire the entire team last year. Really depends on who his assistants are. 

Also could be WGR trying to bump up listeners

I contribute a lot of that to just a new HC in general. Maybe Granato is the best, it's just impossible to say that given what little we've seen. But either way it doesn't get me excited. For one it probably means we're rebuilding; if we weren't we'd get a win now NHL coach with more experience IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

5crxsu.thumb.jpg.e25df9bb8b1dd623c04f56190e4a4794.jpg

If it's Granato then yup

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's amazing that the right candidate for open positions just happens to always have been here all along

Karmanos is the only guy here who wasn't under the Botterill/Krueger umbrella 

Any romcom made in the last 20 years should’ve told you this.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Any romcom made in the last 20 years should’ve told you this.

Adams has hair plugs now and a new wardrobe....I'm just seeing him in a different way than I did before. How could I have missed this? 

44 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Just so uninspiring. 

I'm not worried about being inspired. I want a coach who can make his players get better. I want a coach who can consistently get his players to play hard. I want a coach that not only holds the players accountable but instills an ethic where the players hold each other accountable. In his relatively short stint last season Granato did that. Although he isn't an inspiring selection he would be a good selection. I am an unabashed Granato-stan. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was just thinking how different things would be if the Pegulas had taken the $10 million they sunk into the locker room and used it to choose the exact correct coach and GM from the very beginning of their regime, instead of this endless parade of front-office losers.

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kong said:

I was just thinking how different things would be if the Pegulas had taken the $10 million they sunk into the locker room and used it to choose the exact correct coach and GM from the very beginning of their regime, instead of this endless parade of front-office losers.

Too early to call KA/Karmanos team losers. I think Regier was not a loser and with very limited resources did quite well. The past few GM's I tend to agree although some moves by them were not completely their independent decisions probably.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.