Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

SoggySnivelingAmericangoldfinch-size_res

Thats all have to say to our great owners 

Carvel is a good coach. If he was coming in as an assistant that would be cool but no as HC.  If this team is rebuilding then Granato is the guy.  If they are somehow pulling this thing back on the tracks to try and compete by keeping everyone then there are a lot of vet coaches out there to hire.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If the other options are college and unproven in the NHL coaches I'd rather keep Granato. 

Rangers, on the other hand, are looking at all the veteran coaches people here like, with Gallant as the frontrunner apparently.

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-quinn-gallant-leetch/

This seems likely 

I have a sweet spot for Brind'Amour... who hasn't officially re-signed yet, but will any moment...  and I would've loved Grier on the Sabres staff. Really, Granato is fine if we're going the full youth movement route, but frankly, I want some proven experience as a head coach. Just get someone who hires a top staff, keeps Bales or an appropriate goalie-whisperer, and then inspires the team to attack.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

If the Jets lose, is Maurice on the hot seat?

I have always liked him and would snap him up if available.

I think it’s pretty much a lock Maurice gets fired if they lose the series. I don’t have interest.

I’m still surprised there hasn’t been any talk of Malhotra getting attention as a HC this offseason.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

If the Jets lose, is Maurice on the hot seat?

I have always liked him and would snap him up if available.

I hope he is gone.

PLD and Ehlers might not play and Copper was in a non-contact jersey and didn't play the last game of the season.

I hope that if PLD and Ehlers (I don't expect him to play at least the first 2 games) don't play, it doesn't give Maurice an excuse and Chevy keeps him. He is set to make 3m next two seasons with the 2nd one being a club option. If he's fired, I expect him to be swooped up by Seattle.

He's a good coach for teams with young up and coming players but not sold on him once a team has "come of age". 

15 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I have a sweet spot for Brind'Amour... who hasn't officially re-signed yet, but will any moment...  and I would've loved Grier on the Sabres staff. Really, Granato is fine if we're going the full youth movement route, but frankly, I want some proven experience as a head coach. Just get someone who hires a top staff, keeps Bales or an appropriate goalie-whisperer, and then inspires the team to attack.

Me too.  BTW, I just learned last night that his brother is the GM of the Miami Dolphins

I agree with the post above - if they are not going to go with a proven NHL veteran coach, they should stick with Granato.  He's at least shown something at the NHL level this year.  He's coached at all levels, including the NHL, seems to have the respect of the players, and seems to know his X's and O's.  Players seem to be developing and playing hard under him, which didn't occur under other coaches.  I also like the way he made adjustments.  Rather than rigidly sticking to one system, he altered his game plans based on what the other teams did against the Sabres.  It's also pretty remarkable the success he had against a very difficult schedule with no Eichel, no NHL-caliber goalie and a lot of inexperienced guys.  You have to wonder how he'd do with a full training camp and a complete roster, including NHL-caliber goalies and either Eichel or the players they'd get in exchange for him.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.