Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

https://sports.yahoo.com/cal-petersen-sparkles-win-over-040008414.html

Cal Petersen stopped 41 shots as the Kings upended the Golden Knights and ended their five-game winning streak. (Isaiah J. Downing-USA Today

The guy is pretty damn good, and some other league news.

Luke Hughes injured, may miss significant time.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/cal-petersen-sparkles-win-over-040008414.html

Cal Petersen stopped 41 shots as the Kings upended the Golden Knights and ended their five-game winning streak. (Isaiah J. Downing-USA Today

The guy is pretty damn good, and some other league news.

Luke Hughes injured, may miss significant time.

What’s Cal’s record overall in the NHL so far?

Nvm. Found it ... 16 W, 13 L. 2.54 GAA

wow he’s already 26 ...

Edited by Zamboni

33 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What’s Cal’s record overall in the NHL so far?

Nvm. Found it ... 16 W, 13 L. 2.54 GAA

wow he’s already 26 ...

Yeah he's been around a few years already after college. The guy can play and is fun to watch. This year he's creepin into Quicks crease

Fifth highest GSAA among goalies.  Among goalies with >600mins of TOI, third highest GSAA/60 at +0.661.

Quick is sub-average at -0.276.

For reference:

Vasilevsky is tops in GSAA and GSAA/60 (>600mins) at +0.745.

Ullmark is a respectable 17th in GSAA and 14th in GSAA/60 (>600mins) at +0.374.

Hutton has a GSAA/60 of -0.713.

JJ trailed just behind Hutton at -0.717.

Buffalo should be inquiring about CAR UFAs Reimer (+0.075) or Mrazek (+1.026 but small sample size), or a longer term trade option in RFA Nedeljkovic (+0.580).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Fifth highest GSAA among goalies.  Among goalies with >600mins of TOI, third highest GSAA/60 at +0.661.

For reference:

This passes the eye test 

21 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

For reference:

Buffalo should be inquiring about CAR UFAs Reimer (+0.075) or Mrazek (+1.026 but small sample size), or a longer term trade option in RFA Nedeljkovic (+0.580).

Brossoit is going to get a starter's job after this season. A really good goalie playing lights out this year. I'll hate to lose him but LB is too good to be a backup.

If Covid resolves and we get a normal 2021-2022 season starting in October...(insert laugh here)...I can think of at least one way to improve the Sabres without doing a thing.  Change to a less competitive division. Wash, NYR, NYI, Pitt, Phil NJD, Bos, etc. in the northeast region all have our number. In addition, if the divisions ever get back to normal, TO, MTL and OTT should probably beat the crap out of us for the foreseeable future.

Back in the Buffalo Bisons AHL days, they were in the Western Division. I don't see why Buffalo can't be moved to a division where they'd be more competitive, maybe even a bottom feeders division. 

11 minutes ago, Kong said:

If Covid resolves and we get a normal 2021-2022 season starting in October...(insert laugh here)...I can think of at least one way to improve the Sabres without doing a thing.  Change to a less competitive division. Wash, NYR, NYI, Pitt, Phil NJD, Bos, etc. in the northeast region all have our number. In addition, if the divisions ever get back to normal, TO, MTL and OTT should probably beat the crap out of us for the foreseeable future.

Back in the Buffalo Bisons AHL days, they were in the Western Division. I don't see why Buffalo can't be moved to a division where they'd be more competitive, maybe even a bottom feeders division. 

Yeah, why would we want to measure our team against anything but the worst?

F it.  Let’s just relegate them like Soccer.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yeah, why would we want to measure our team against anything but the worst?

F it.  Let’s just relegate them like Soccer.

The Sabres could just play the other worst team for 82 games, and maybe one of them would make the playoffs. 

Hint: it probably wouldn’t be the Sabres. 

Tim Peel, because of course:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-investigating-incident-involving-official-caught-hot-mic/

Oh my god the NHL finally took action.  Like the dude was literally a month from retirement but lol

I know the name of ONE current (now former) NHL referee.  Just one.  It is Tim Peel.

If you know a referee's name, it's usually bad.

Also, it appears that I have accomplished the extremely rare feat of scooping @Brawndo, so I have that going for me today.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jason just declined to sign him?

Wikipedia says:

“By June 1, 2018, the Sabres were unable to sign Hagel to a contract and relinquished their rights to him.....”

It’s not totally clear if he refused to sign or if Botterill declined to sign him.  All I can add is that I remember when his deadline to sign passed and he was not signed, but I don’t recall hearing that he refused to sign, like what happened with Cal Peterson.  I feel like we would remember if he refused to sign because it’s quite rare.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

A bit of a shame. He's not lighting it up or anything, but seems like he'd be a homegrown forward we'd enjoy watching 

He was in the Canadiens training camp too and they passed. It’s not just us. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hawks fans seem to be enjoying Brandon Hagel. Why is he no longer in our organization?

Even though I am pretty sure that they had room under the 50 player contract limit for both players, it appears they favored Glotov over Hagel.  Not sure why, except for the fact that Glotov was perceived to be cool because of twitter or some other social media nonsense.  Watching both player over 2-3 rookie and training camps, IMO Hagel was always more impressive.  Glotov was nothing more than a very small and very poor comparison of Max Afinogenov.

I cut Botts some slack because I think the Pegula's had a lot of say in his worst moves as a GM, but in terms of letting Hagel go, Botts really screwed up...especially when you look at how poor the forward prospect ranks were at the time.