Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

10 hours ago, Kong said:

The Hurricanes get woke and promote the "pronouns" business. Can the Sabres be far behind? 🤮

Ugh, to me this truly is too far in terms of bending over backwards for minority populations. 

It's honestly just sad what the world is coming to but this isn't a political thread so I wont go any further.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Ugh, to me this truly is too far in terms of bending over backwards for minority populations. 

It's honestly just sad what the world is coming to but this isn't a political thread so I wont go any further.

I've never figured out how one can go too far when it comes to being courteous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I've never figured out how one can go too far when it comes to being courteous.

Being courteous doesn't extend to bending over backwards in order to merely speak with a stranger at a grocery store or being scolded by a stranger for somehow offending them by calling a group of people "guys." That's all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Being courteous doesn't extend to bending over backwards in order to merely speak with a stranger at a grocery store or being scolded by a stranger for somehow offending them by calling a group of people "guys." That's all.

Is this something that happens frequently to you?

And by bending over backwards do you mean taking a second or two to remind yourself to do something that isn't habitual for you? Like when your mother-in-law expects you to take off your hat when you're at her dinner table? Or when your new wife wants you to put down the toilet seat?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Is this something that happens frequently to you?

And by bending over backwards do you mean taking a second or two to remind yourself to do something that isn't habitual for you? Like when your mother-in-law expects you to take off your hat when you're at her dinner table? Or when your new wife wants you to put down the toilet seat?

Frequent no, but remember courtesy works both ways. That is all, end of discussion.

What is God's name is happening in the COL vs ARI game though? 6 goals in under 6 minutes between both teams!

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d say that’s reasonable actually.

Although I would always try my best to call anyone by the pronouns they wish to be used, I don’t think I’ll be asking everyone that I interact with what their pronouns are at the start of a conversation.  Is that what the tweet was implying that everyone should do?  It kind of seems like it, no?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Frequent no, but remember courtesy works both ways. That is all, end of discussion.

It certainly does. What was discourteous about Carolina's Tweet?

Or are we talking about something else now?

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

lol any other player and everything the announcers say/their entire tone is completely different. That's the definition of an attempt to injure headshot. The league punishes the result and not the act though, and it's McD, so nothing will come of it. 

Good insight.  Of course they would not consider a suspension.  $5k is nothing to him. 

4 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Golden Knights Chandler Stephenson suspended 3 games for this dirty elbow. Yet McDavid has to only pay $5,000 for going out of his way to elbow a player in the head. 

That’s much worse than McDavid’s in my opinion. Bjornfot better be okay, we need him coming back in the Eichel trade. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:55 PM, Curt said:

I’d say that’s reasonable actually.

Although I would always try my best to call anyone by the pronouns they wish to be used, I don’t think I’ll be asking everyone that I interact with what their pronouns are at the start of a conversation.  Is that what the tweet was implying that everyone should do?  It kind of seems like it, no?

That's where I'm at. Change comes slowly in societies. Putting the bar so high risks a backlash. I can't read the tweet in any other way except we're now responsible for using the right pronouns as a matter of respect. That means, from the team's side, their announcers should not say, "He's got a breakaway!" unless the correct pronoun has been determined. We'll get there. I feel like there are bigger fish to fry at the moment. Gay people can still be fired or denied housing in some U.S. states. Transgender or transsexual people surely have even fewer protections.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's where I'm at. Change comes slowly in societies. Putting the bar so high risks a backlash. I can't read the tweet in any other way except we're now responsible for using the right pronouns as a matter of respect. That means, from the team's side, their announcers should not say, "He's got a breakaway!" unless the correct pronoun has been determined. We'll get there. I feel like there are bigger fish to fry at the moment. Gay people can still be fired or denied housing in some U.S. states. Transgender or transsexual people surely have even fewer protections.

Your assertion that gay people can be denied housing or fired for being gay simply is not true.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/supreme-court-holds-federal-law-forbids-91186/

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Your assertion that gay people can be denied housing or fired for being gay simply is not true.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/supreme-court-holds-federal-law-forbids-91186/

To be fair, this ruling only happened last year and the previous administration argued against it and three justices voted against it. The ruling still has that new baby smell.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

To be fair, this ruling only happened last year and the previous administration argued against it and three justices voted against it. The ruling still has that new baby smell.

Not to mention the fact that laws are written on paper and typed on computers and not always what happens out there in the real world.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Also, semantics: you can still get fired for being gay. It's not legal anymore, but some people might not put up a fight.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yes, I concur the ruling is fairly recent, but PA stated some states still practice this. 

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Good. It doesn't address housing though.

Federal Law supercedes state law, Title's 7, 8 and 9.