Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Living through what we are living through?  I'd pay double.  Goalie purgatory sucks.

Ullmark is a UFA after this season, what should we sign him to?  About the same contract?  Their performances are pretty close over the past couple years.

43 minutes ago, Curt said:

Ullmark is a UFA after this season, what should we sign him to?  About the same contract?  Their performances are pretty close over the past couple years.

If he wants 6x6 Ullmark is nuts. He’s an slightly better than average goalie most nights. Bennington won a Cup which also inflates his value.

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If he wants 6x6 Ullmark is nuts. He’s an slightly better than average goalie most nights. Bennington won a Cup which also inflates his value.

Yeah, exactly.  I think it’s nuts to give Bennington that contract too!

Should be more like $5x3 or something.

10 hours ago, Weave said:

Cuz Jack never hit Matthews level.  

shraderenfreude

Well that's just false.

2018/19 Auston Matthews: 1.074 ppg

2018/19 Jack Eichel: 1.065 ppg

2019/20 Auston Matthews: 1.143 points per game

2019/20 Jack Eichel: 1.147 points per game

But hey, you do you. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well that's just false.

But hey, you do you. 

I was on the “Jack Eichel is a better player than Auston Matthews” train for a long time, but as of right now I think it’s pretty clear AM has been and is better than JE. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I was on the “Jack Eichel is a better player than Auston Matthews” train for a long time, but as of right now I think it’s pretty clear AM has been and is better than JE. 

Maybe this year but they have been pretty even the last 2 years. Considering we know Eichel has been injured since the get go, recency bias going on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, #freejame said:

Mathews has better stats because of the system he plays in and the roster he is on has more producers up and down the line up.

While Mathews is a dr8ving force he has never had to shoulder the burden of carrying a franchise single handedly, Eichel has.

Edmonton has both McDavid and Draisatl and they struggle as a top combo pair to pull their team up every season.

Supporting cast counts, system deployed per players strengths counts, that's just a fact.

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Cuz Jack never hit Matthews level.  

shraderenfreude

stats don't tell the whole story...clearly Jack is no leader (and should not be captain) and AM leads by example (as does McDavid). There is no comparison regardless of what stats are thrown around. 

4 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

stats don't tell the whole story...clearly Jack is no leader (and should not be captain) and AM leads by example (as does McDavid). There is no comparison regardless of what stats are thrown around. 

I don't think you are very in tune with the general narrative on Matthews over the years. Jack has never done anything like what Matthews got in trouble for a couple summers ago, and as recently as 5 months ago the narrative was that he was immature/incapable of being a leader. On the ice, he would disappear for long stretches, being useless when he wasn't scoring goals, since he's a pretty average playmaker.

He's certainly going off right now, through 25 games in a division in which there are maybe 2 playoff capable teams in a normal format, and where none of the teams involved have played a lick of defense all year. But as of this past offseason, I would have been extremely uncomfortable with the idea of trading Matthews for Eichel 1 for 1. 

They have the same amount of playoff series wins as each other ,and considering the rosters and coaching both have received, that says something 

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Well that's just false.

But hey, you do you. 

😀 I wondered when your feathers would ruffle.

27 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I forgot, who is the captain and leader of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Further the question wasn't who is the best leader, it was about being on the same level regarding their on ice place. As demonstrated by the stats, they produce at almost the exact same rate, ergo they are on the same level. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought I'd check in on the NHL production each team has received to date through the pieces exchanged in the BUF-STL trade on July 1 2018. 

Buffalo has received:
184 games played, 16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points, and a +/- of -47. No trophies that I am aware of, though I think Tage was 5th place in Buffalo Sabres ROTY voting
St Louis has received:
179 games played, 48 goals, 116 assists, 164 points, a +/- of +43, along with a Selke and Conn Smythe trophy added to their trophy case (along with what the latter implies)

No pressure, Ryan Johnson!

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Haha (+1) 1