COVID-19

Indabuff

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think snopes has been wrong as well. Wikipedia? No no no. 

I know that Snopes has taken plenty of heat for not favoring one side or the other (for the most part). They don't claim to be perfect. But it's my understanding that they strive to be as accurate as possible. And the downside of Wikipedia is that it can be a target for vandalism (which is why college professors almost always put on their respective syllabi not to cite Wikipedia as a source). However, citations used in Wikipedia articles can be used.

If anything, they're better than citing some crackpot website.

I guess I could go to WikiLeaks,  if you like...

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Wikipedia is a perfectly fine source. Fifteen years ago? Sure, don’t trust it. It’s come a long way since then but unfortunately hasn’t quite been able to shed its reputation.  

Case in point. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Banned_Wikipedia_users

And this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Go_ahead,_vandalize

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum

3 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

I know that Snopes has taken plenty of heat for not favoring one side or the other (for the most part). They don't claim to be perfect. But it's my understanding that they strive to be as accurate as possible. And the downside of Wikipedia is that it can be a target for vandalism (which is why college professors almost always put on their respective syllabi not to cite Wikipedia as a source). However, citations used in Wikipedia articles can be used.

If anything, they're better than citing some crackpot website.

I guess I could go to WikiLeaks,  if you like...

Yes, go to Wikileaks. Tell me how that works out if your caught downloading classified material. 

If you don't have enough time to evaluate fact checkers by cross-referencing them and the sources, I recommend consulting realclearpolitics.com.  N.B.: they have a slight but definite bias towards conservatives in their editorials.  Most of the main fact checkers (Snopes, Politifact, etc.) are generally very good.  There are also bias checkers I recommend consulting when you read anything inflammatory.

I strongly recommend the Christian Science Monitor for actual neutral reporting.  Everyone I know throughout the political spectrum who read it swear by it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ok back to virus talk and medicine. 

It's amazing how much it's evolved over the course of a month, the previous thoughts of intubation are now being basically disproven, and there is evidence that intubation in its own right is causing the progressing ARDS.

Several different factions and universities are doing many studies and the thought is now that perhaps it's not the lung damage itself or the pneumonia, but the inability for oxygen to Bind to hemoglobin due to iron displacement. The Peep and tidal volume we thought were helpful are the exact opposite in this mechanism of action. 

Granted, nothing is proven and there are several theories, but the number of theories that go against previous standard of care are pretty telling; and this also would help with the ventilator shortage. Many patients are oxygenating in the 60% with a simple nasal cannula or a hi flow mask and doing OK, we call them the "happy hypoxic". Previous thought has us intubating as soon as they are in the 70's for O2 but that's not the case here. 

I know this isn't is total layperson talk, but I find the science and theories being it pretty fascinating, and that is the part of Covid that makes my brain tick. 

Very interesting... a long, long time ago I used to research iron metabolic pathways and molecular mechanisms.  I'll need to dust off that part of my brain and go read some of these current studies.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

Very interesting... a long, long time ago I used to research iron metabolic pathways and molecular mechanisms.  I'll need to dust off that part of my brain and go read some of these current studies.

It's quite unique, we're using ferritin levels as well to help guide us. LDH, procalcitonin, ferritin, C reactive protein and sometimes a DDimer (though I hate the test) we also see trends of low lymphocytes counts. It's almost like a flood the bloodstream with oxygen fix without all the positive pressure. The pathophysiology is interesting. Once you dust your brain off I'd love to hear your thoughts ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ok back to virus talk and medicine. 

It's amazing how much it's evolved over the course of a month, the previous thoughts of intubation are now being basically disproven, and there is evidence that intubation in its own right is causing the progressing ARDS.

Several different factions and universities are doing many studies and the thought is now that perhaps it's not the lung damage itself or the pneumonia, but the inability for oxygen to Bind to hemoglobin due to iron displacement. The Peep and tidal volume we thought were helpful are the exact opposite in this mechanism of action. 

Granted, nothing is proven and there are several theories, but the number of theories that go against previous standard of care are pretty telling; and this also would help with the ventilator shortage. Many patients are oxygenating in the 60% with a simple nasal cannula or a hi flow mask and doing OK, we call them the "happy hypoxic". Previous thought has us intubating as soon as they are in the 70's for O2 but that's not the case here. 

I know this isn't is total layperson talk, but I find the science and theories being it pretty fascinating, and that is the part of Covid that makes my brain tick. 

Very interesting.  Read from a non-medical source, so take it with a grain of salt, that the reason hydroxychloroquine helps with both malaria and COVID is that both diseases attack hemoglobin and allow the iron within the 4 surrounding molecules to essentially escape (been a long day with a LOT of beer, so bear with the lack of better description, thanks) and the drug prevents the hemoglobin from losing the Fe so the O2 receptors can still adsorb O2.

IF that is the case, once we can start getting enough of the drug available, we should be able to open back up even without a vaccine or herd immunity being built up.  Though people like our elderly parents still need to be extremely cautious.  (As do the rest of us when interacting with them.)

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Very interesting.  Read from a non-medical source, so take it with a grain of salt, that the reason hydroxychloroquine helps with both malaria and COVID is that both diseases attack hemoglobin and allow the iron within the 4 surrounding molecules to essentially escape (been a long day with a LOT of beer, so bear with the lack of better description, thanks) and the drug prevents the hemoglobin from losing the Fe so the O2 receptors can still adsorb O2.

IF that is the case, once we can start getting enough of the drug available, we should be able to open back up even without a vaccine or herd immunity being built up.  Though people like our elderly parents still need to be extremely cautious.  (As do the rest of us when interacting with them.)

I think the issue is that the quinine is only working in mild to moderate cases, and even then the studies aren't 100% effective. I don't expect any study to be that good, especially when rushed. 

The mechanism of action of Quinine is somewhat unknown when it comes to augmenting the binding ability and affect on hemoglobin, there is a theory that the quinine can inhibit some processes of RNA replication, but I haven't dove into the specifics of it. 

We are almost all going rogue on the treatment of this and not awaiting the CDC recommendations, it's actually quite astonishing seeing/hearing from so many hatlcare providers and facilities that have almost no trust for the CDC right now. Whether right or wrong....for the record, I think this is a time to think outside of the box and let cookie cutter medicine fall by the wayside ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/12/2020 at 12:46 AM, darksabre said:

You'll have to see what media conglomerate owns that local station. We get the same junk here. Sinclair in particular loves pushing out of state stories that fit their "brand" to all their affiliates. It's basically propaganda.

There's an entire last week tonight on Sinclair. I would post it to further the conversation but unfortunately it is critical of a certain party and that is banned on this board. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

There's an entire last week tonight on Sinclair. I would post it to further the conversation but unfortunately it is critical of a certain party and that is banned on this board. 

Why don't you just post it in the politics club and stop complaining?

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

If I understood my wife correctly, they're giving it to practically every suspected covid case in her hospital in the Bronx, and it doesn't seem to do anything.

• Thanks (+1) 1

So had a virtual appt with my Doc who said the probable reason for my negative test was that it was too early... full onset of symptoms didnt hit til 5 days later last Wednesday when my fever hit 102.9  The initial low grade fever was just a warning... feeling a bit better but still have a low fever 100.1.  Doc said based on bell curve I should start feeling better in 3-5 days.  Work now wants to test me again tomorrow morning.  Hopefully im on the upswing

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So had a virtual appt with my Doc who said the probable reason for my negative test was that it was too early... full onset of symptoms didnt hit til 5 days later last Wednesday when my fever hit 102.9  The initial low grade fever was just a warning... feeling a bit better but still have a low fever 100.1.  Doc said based on bell curve I should start feeling better in 3-5 days.  Work now wants to test me again tomorrow morning.  Hopefully im on the upswing

Ugh hopefully it is another negative!

• Like (+1) 2