COVID-19

Indabuff

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

Every day we get a little bit closer

Was this meant to be encouraging?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

A preliminary study of patients in Shanghai found that some patients had “no detectable antibody response” while others had a very high response, said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s lead scientist on Covid-19. Whether the patients who had a strong antibody response were immune to a second infection is “a separate question,” she added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/who-officials-say-its-unclear-whether-recovered-coronavirus-patients-are-immune-to-second-infection.html

I think over here they are finally seeing that having most of your manufacturing abroad makes you week in times like these.   

USA might use the defense act to keep all ventilators in the country , all though made by European companies we can't access them.   Same goes for China owning 80 % of pharmaceutical resources in the world.

As for my job its really getting hectic,  working cargo side of an airport, passenger planes come in empty  to deliver and  pick up cargo, extra cargo planes coming in.
A lot of Medical masks, getting phone calls non stop for hospitals all over Europe.   Hope this ends soon so I can do my job normally again instead investing so much time in phone calls and emails.

• Thanks (+1) 2

13 hours ago, inkman said:

I've been working through the whole pandemic.  We make Booze and other assorted goodies deemed necessary.  We just started making hand sanitizer last week.  It's pretty nerve-wracking.  I won't get into details as to why, as I'm pretty out there publicly and I wouldn't want any backlash for me or the company I work for, but I go to work scared shitless every day. I could probably argue to stay at home but all my employees are there and I can't make them work without suffering the same fate.  

Thank you for your service.  You folks making hand sanitizer and masks and ... are just as important as the people wearing the masks and using the hand sanitizer.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think over here they are finally seeing that having most of your manufacturing abroad makes you week in times like these.   

USA might use the defense act to keep all ventilators in the country , all though made by European companies we can't access them.   Same goes for China owning 80 % of pharmaceutical resources in the world.

As for my job its really getting hectic,  working cargo side of an airport, passenger planes come in empty  to deliver and  pick up cargo, extra cargo planes coming in.
A lot of Medical masks, getting phone calls non stop for hospitals all over Europe.   Hope this ends soon so I can do my job normally again instead investing so much time in phone calls and emails.

Thank you for your service.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think we're picking up on that too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the US using emergency powers to keep all the ventilators in the country. 

27 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

using the hand sanitizer.

Or drinking it, in the case of Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Stop making ventilators and make something to sterilize masks.

If everyone in the US had an N95 mask to sterilize we wouldn't need all the ventilators and the next time around this wouldn't happen. This is a new market that can create jobs. Help get our economy back on track. Upgrades in hepa filters to catch smaller particles. Coming up with new ways to protect the air that we breath.

Another invisible enemy can attack us at any time. It might come with a different name and have a whole new degree of stealth and wider range of dispersion.

The flu alone kills tens of thousands every year. 

We can do better then this...

Edited by dog14787
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dog14787 said:

If everyone in the US had an N95 mask to sterilize we wouldn't need all the ventilators and the next time around this wouldn't happen.

Another invisible enemy can attack us at any time. It might come with a different name and have a whole new degree of stealth and wider range of dispersion.

What does this mean?

7 minutes ago, dog14787 said:

If everyone in the US had an N95 mask to sterilize we wouldn't need all the ventilators and the next time around this wouldn't happen.

But..it’s a virus war

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What does this mean?

Everything we are doing now, the social distancing, washing our hands, protecting ourselves as much as possible from someone elses sneeze or cough, also helps protect us from the common cold or flu. 

and saves lives...

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, dog14787 said:

Everything we are doing now, the social distancing, washing our hands, protecting ourselves as much as possible from someone elses sneeze or cough, also helps protect us from the common cold or flu. 

and saves lives...

All that was the norm when I was a kid and teen.  I'm 55 years old and I don't know when all the common sense things stopped being common sense and we are needing big time reminders now to stay a distance and wash your hands often?

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

All that was the norm when I was a kid and teen.  I'm 55 years old and I don't know when all the common sense things stopped being common sense and we are needing big time reminders now to stay a distance and wash your hands often?

Because we live in a culture that punishes people for taking care of themselves and others and we have unlearned the habits that would have come with such a mindset.

Take the concept of sick days for example. A lot of people don't even get sick days. Or they get punished for using them. So people don't stay home, they come to work. Worrying about yourself and the people around you doesn't matter when your job is on the line.

We don't have the excess hospital capacity to handle sickness because the healthcare system is set up only to make insurance companies, lobbyists, and congressmen rich, not provide care. Like Woody noted earlier, our hospitals are normally already overwhelmed before a crisis like this springs up, and that's because someone out there needs the spreadsheet to look good. 

It doesn't need to be like this, but there are a lot of people out there getting rich off of it being this way.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And another thing our PM can go to hell.

After telling us to all stay home, even our Premier 'stayed the balazes home' without his son for Easter, our PM went to Toronto to be with his family for Easter.  Seriously, dude, what the *****!!

Least he didn't make a video montage and declare himself King

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And another thing our PM can go to hell.

After telling us to all stay home, even our Premier 'stayed the balazes home' without his son for Easter, our PM went to Toronto to be with his family for Easter.  Seriously, dude, what the *****!!

But, heard that his eyebrows stayed in Ottawa, so it's all good, right?

?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

But, heard that his eyebrows stayed in Ottawa, so it's all good, right?

?

And his NiceN'Easy die job that looks so terrible, he must be doing it himself.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I meant dye, but what the hell ... this clown pisses me off ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dog14787 said:

If everyone in the US had an N95 mask to sterilize we wouldn't need all the ventilators and the next time around this wouldn't happen. This is a new market that can create jobs. Help get our economy back on track. Upgrades in hepa filters to catch smaller particles. Coming up with new ways to protect the air that we breath.

Just imagine if Ebola was, or ever becomes, airbourne.  Or if it ever reared it's ugly head in anyplace other than the most remote places of Africa.

There would be no stopping it and it would kill hundreds of millions, maybe billions.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

There are several articles out there now about companies creating devices or have already created devices to sterilize N95 masks. And a lot of em’. They are already in circulation and more getting into circulation everyday. Which is great news!

Skeptical heard from my wife that sterilization compromises the masks... see 3M... they wont guarantee their masks after sterilized... Also the chems used cause cancer upon inhaling (peroxide)... We are researching.., ie my wife...

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Skeptical heard from my wife that sterilization compromises the masks... see 3M... they wont guarantee their masks after sterilized... Also the chems used cause cancer upon inhaling (peroxide)... We are researching.., ie my wife...

You better be just as careful with all that cleaning junk, my friend.  We don't want you to, you know ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

PS woke last nite in sweats continued thru the early morning... temp though was low 97.1... risen to 99.0 but had to walk up some stairs will check in a little once I settle in in new hotel... Holiday Inn kicked me out after I accidently told manager was going to get tested to be safe.  I had been there a week.  Whatever... found a nicer one with a cheaper medical discount and as preferred customer at a Hilton!

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2