2019 Off Season

sweetlou

Not sure if it deserves its own thread or not but lots of talk the last 24 hours on Zucker and the Sabres.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-are-perry-s-days-numbered-with-the-ducks~1703053

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-trade-rumors-sabres-contacted-wild-about-winger-jason-zucker/1psohkeocrzg718mjt6c64e6ep

What is the return he would demand?  Also, as another LW, presumably playing second line minutes does Olafsson slide to third line and Sheary to the 4th?  Is it possible Scandella could be sent back as part of this package?   

The TSN  video was added to 2019 trade thread by Hoss. 

Edited by Broken Ankles

11 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Not sure if it deserves its own thread or not but lots of talk the last 24 hours on Zucker and the Sabres.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-are-perry-s-days-numbered-with-the-ducks~1703053

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-trade-rumors-sabres-contacted-wild-about-winger-jason-zucker/1psohkeocrzg718mjt6c64e6ep

What is the return he would demand?  Also, as another LW, presumably playing second line minutes does Olafsson slide to third line and Sheary to the 4th?  Is it possible Scandella could be sent back as part of this package?   

Olofsson plays on his off-wing (RW)

20 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

The TSN  video was added to 2019 trade thread by Hoss. 

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Olofsson plays on his off-wing (RW)

Yep.  Neither Sheary nor Olofsson would slide to 4th line duty.  Girgensons job may not be safe, but it won't be one of them grabbing it.  Olofsson would end up on the RW - with any of the 3 scoring lines being potential landing spots.

4 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

1. I'm not even going to bother listing specific 4th line alternatives to Girgensons and Larsson. If you think those two were the best JB could do these past two years in terms of on-ice production, off-ice leadership, and cap hit...

2. So maybe part of the problem with Okposo and Bogosian in the locker room was that neither ever really felt as dejected as O'Reilly? Seems like too many guys on the Sabres were okay enough with losing. I already said how to get rid of these two: trade our trash for someone else's trash. Change of scenery for both parties. No valuable prospects or high picks need to be included from either side.

3. I just don't see the value of keeping Pominville here any longer, and it has little to do with cap number or contract length or even the roster spot at this point. As a vet, he has already shown here in Buffalo (twice, really) to be incapable of motivating younger players around him. Find someone else who maybe can.

4. If you know JB's clearly stated plan, can you just reiterate it for me here real quick? Is it: build a team that's fast and skilled but physically weak and mentally even weaker? Is it: continue to make no effort to fill glaring roster holes with the big club so to accumulate lottery picks? Is it: focus on player development in Rochester so that these players will be able to carry the Sabres to their first playoff appearance since 2011 about 5 years from now? Is it: completely bomb with your first choice of a head coach hire so to set the stage for RK? Is it: trade away one of the best two-way centers in the game so to secure the next Ales Kotalik?

It's very depressing to see the contortions fellow Sabres fans are making to justify Botterill. I know it sucks to think that Pegula possibly made yet ANOTHER terrible GM hire, but so far it's looking like that's a distinct possibility, so let's at least type candidly about it on an internet message board. The positive news (IMO) is that there is still time this summer to make a successful course correction. The Skinner trade and re-signing was solid. The Amerks are looking healthy. There is nothing objectionable to RK or the past two drafts at the moment. There is a decent core of young talent in place. But for the love of God, JB needs to be aggressive this summer and find two top-6 forwards, move out the roster dead weight, and have a successful 2019 draft. His job depends on it. If the Sabres can't even get back to the Bylsma level of 78-81 points this season, JB might not be given a 4th year. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs by April 2021, no way does he stick around beyond that point.

1. Typical response in these scenarios.  You make an assumption, don't want to do anything to further a conversation.  So, you assume a situation was possible but don't want to actually look into it to see if it's true.  That's fine.  It doesn't prove your assumption, it doesn't disprove those who question you.  It's a stalemate.  End of conversation.

2. Now you are saying it's possibly because they did not feel as dejected.  Okay.  Also, you are just going to go out and grab some trash from somewhere else.  Some overpaid trash no less.  Ever wonder why they were trash on their old team?  Perhaps because they lacked the leadership and never felt dejected enough (or are they just losers too)?  It's all good.  Your fictional solution is out there for Jason Botterill to find.

3. Your assumption is he can't motivate and not that those players he's had around him have really not done anything even when he was not around.  But, it must be his fault, right?  Did he fail to motivate Derek Roy?  That beast?  Or was it Paul Gaustad? or, whomever else was on the Sabres that didn't go anywhere and do anything once they left the team?  But yes, Jason Pominville is the problem. I get it, he hasn't done anything.  So go out and find someone else.  Fine.  Perhaps that person is there.  Perhaps.  No harm.  But i wouldn't go shutting the door on the possibility of having Pominville around if you fail to land someone else who fits the bill and you need a veteran to rely upon.  It's called keeping an option open. 

4. Let me refer to #1 on this.  I'm not even going to bother listing out the various times Jason Botterill has iterated out how he believes you build a team. 

As for your last point?  It's kind of interesting.  Because while I am contorting over here you managed to point out Skinner, both acquired and re-signed by that GM. You've managed to point out the improvement in the Amerks (who stocked that team, and I wonder if that might be part of his stated plan ?).  So, your points fall in line with what I am attempting to point out to you about the GM you are blasting away on.  Contort away... I'm done here.

Yep... it's all me.  

The Zucker rumors are very interesting as we really need a top 6 LW.  We also need 2 top 9 RWs, and a top 6 center. I think Olofsson grabs one of the RW slots.  

We may also need as many as 2-3 defensemen depending how aggressive Jbot will be building out a second line forwards and depending on how quickly Bogo and Pilut heal from their surgeries.  

It seems right now the plan is to keep Ristolainen.  I’m wondering if this is wise as almost 50% of Risto’s points come on the PP and that roles seems destined to move more toward Dahlin (44 pts as a rookie w 45% from the PP) and Montour.  With reduced minutes overall and on the PP can we really expect Risto to have a 5th straight 40+ pts season?  There are about 15 teams that would pay handsomely for a 40 pts PP QB.  

My other question is how much will Zucker cost to acquire?  Would they take Nylander?  They don’t seem to need cap space, but I know Felton is selling off the “old” guard.  Felton traded Granlund for former Preds 1st rd pick Fiala.  The trades are similar but not exact as Fiala is an established NHL player and Granlund only has this year left on his deal.  

I also don’t think we’ll be in the running for Hayes, Dzingel or Duchene.

It's been stated by some of the more followed Sabres sources on twitter that those wanting to replace Risto if he is moved are "obsessed" with defense, but to me, in a season where winning is paramount, even entering the season with the following D corps seems a tad shaky considering Bogosian and Pilut are likely to be out:

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Scandella - Nelson

---

If Ristolainen is moved with no replacement, what does the defense look like? Dahlin/Montour, McCabe/Nelson, Scandella/Hunwick? Ehhhhh. God forbid there are any further injuries in this scenario. 

Everyone wants a 2C and 2RW and I'm there too, and I'm even ok if Risto is moved in the process, but he would need to be adequately replaced. Gutting the D to address the forwards just keeps us in a vicious cycle. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's been stated by some of the more followed Sabres sources on twitter that those wanting to replace Risto if he is moved are "obsessed" with defense, but to me, in a season where winning is paramount, even entering the season with the following D corps seems a tad shaky considering Bogosian and Pilut are likely to be out:

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Scandella - Nelson

---

If Ristolainen is moved with no replacement, what does the defense look like? Dahlin/Montour, McCabe/Nelson, Scandella/Hunwick? Ehhhhh. God forbid there are any further injuries in this scenario. 

Everyone wants a 2C and 2RW and I'm there too, and I'm even ok if Risto is moved in the process, but he would need to be adequately replaced. Gutting the D to address the forwards just keeps us in a vicious cycle. 

If Risto is moved, someone like Alex Martinez will be acquired to add RD depth.  I think management is counting on Borgen and Pilut to further step into roles this year with the big club by year's end.

If we trade Risto, I'd be looking to acquire Colin Miller from Vegas; I'd even take Reaves' contract to reduce the cost. Miller isn't quite the pest Risto can be but does play a physical jack of all trades role. Reaves for 1 year to be our 12/13/14 forward would also technically fill that physical role we lose with Risto.

• 3 weeks later...

Miller was acquired. I admit I’m not a huge fan, but he is a good puck mover. 

1) We are now over-loaded with RHD and LHD. 

Depth Chart 

RHD:  Montour, Risto, Miller, Bogo (IR) Nelson, Borgen

LHD: Dahlin, McCabe(RFA), Scandella, Hunwick, Pilut (IR)

The Sabres D looks very crowded and more work needs to be done to create a more defensively aware group.

2) 2nd line center remains unresolved.  Potential help - Kadri (trade), Johansson (UFA), Dzingel (UFA).  

Solving this issue - aka the ROR lineup hole, is the key stone for this franchise to become a playoff team as Mitts and Cozens develop.  I’ll take any of the 3 mentioned above, but Jbot May have his eye on someone else (such as Skinner last year) that will surprise and truly help the team.  Fingers crossed.  Failure here means the off-season reboot is likely to fail.

3) RW depth remains an issue.  They LW seems in pretty good shape with Olofsson likely to secure the role between Skinner and Sheary on the LW depth chart, but RW is a mess.  Reinhart is a excellent top 6 RW and Jbot wants him to anchor the 2nd line from the wing. Ok, but that leaves Jack needing a RW.  We also need to determine a role for KO.  Is he good enough to play on Mitts’ wing or is he relegated to 4th line duty with some PP time?  Regardless we need two RWs.  We have bodies that can play 3rd or 4th RW like Thompson and Nylander, but who is good enough to play with Jack on the top line?  Is that guy available through trade or free agency?  Ferlund and Donskoi have been mentioned as UFA candidates, but both have been 3rd line guys most of their careers, although both would be great additions for Mitts’ line.  

4) To many forwards to choose from and not enough good ones.  I see 6 guys as top 9 players for the Sabres next year. Jeff, Jack, Sam, Victor O, Sheary and Mitts.  After that we have many bodies and not enough jobs.

Holdovers - Girgensons (RFA), Larsson (RFA),  Erod (RFA), Wilson, Sobotka, and KO.  

Kids - Smith (RFA), Nylander, Thompson and Ruotsalainen 

I really don’t like any of the holdovers playing in the top 9, except maybe Erod.  Smith fits in with the holdovers.  The other 3 kids, I can see Jbot thinking that sometime in the near future all 3 could be in the top 9, but this coming season? I’m not so sure.  When (not if) Jbot gets a 2nd line center and at least one RW, it will be interesting to see of these how Jbot disposes of some of these warm bodies.

5) The last question is how quickly these first 4 issues get resolved.  Jbot has qualified all the RFAs mentioned. UFA signing period starts very soon and it will be interesting to see if Jbot jumps into the water when the feeding frenzy begins. Many teams are in serious cap hell with important (expensive) RFAs to re-sign and actually may not be able to spend on much on UFAs which could limit demand for good but not star players. Duchene and Panarin are going to get big money, but where does that leave everyone else?

This might be the perfect scenario for the team with patience and cap room.  Wait to see who gets signed and which teams over-sign players, then pounce on the opportunity of the dwindling destination for good players who miss out in the first few days of free agency and the teams desperate to dump players to get to the cap. Jbot has shown great patience before in getting Skinner in August 2018.  I suspect this will be Jbot’s approach again, but who knows.  He tends to be very opportunistic when given time to think. The Sheary, Skinner, Montour and Miller deals illustrate this, while the Kane and ROR deals reflect issues when under a time pressure. There is no such time pressure now. 

I don’t think we’ll have a real feel for this roster until August.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Guessing it's a joke, but if it isn't, did you see his comments on hating buffalo? No way he signs here.

FGMTM put him in a situation where he needed to make Dominik Hasek look like Rocky Farr for most fans not to treat him like an abject failure.  Although everyone's reactions were understandable, most fans were not fair to him; similarly, he's not putting the blame where it belongs.

So far we have added since the trade deadline

1) Montour and Miller to enhance the D

2) Hired a New HC and assistants

3) Re-signed Skinner

4) Drafted well again

5) Added a potential good forward for this season or next in Ruotsalainen.

6) Added a 3rd line winger in Vesey

7) Added veteran depth for Rochester in forwards  Lazar and Dea, a goalie in Hammond and a D in Gilmour who may be good enough to win an NHL job.

Still no winger for Jack or center for Sam

So far I'm , with the exception of the ROR trade, impressed with what Botterill has done. The additions of Skinner, Montour, Miller and Vesey for what it cost us seem good moves. If he can get us another center then I think we've made good progress.

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Translated: we told Pominville as soon as he wants to officially retire, we'll gladly have "Jason Pominville Night."  Best of luck to you, when clearing your gear out of the dressing room, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord hit you.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So far we have added since the trade deadline

1) Montour and Miller to enhance the D

2) Hired a New HC and assistants

3) Re-signed Skinner

4) Drafted well again

5) Added a potential good forward for this season or next in Ruotsalainen.

6) Added a 3rd line winger in Vesey

7) Added veteran depth for Rochester in forwards  Lazar and Dea, a goalie in Hammond and a D in Gilmour who may be good enough to win an NHL job.

Still no winger for Jack or center for Sam

I think Vesey is the winger for Jack.  Assuming that the Sabres get a true stop-gap #2 Centre:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey

Rodrigues - 2C - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittlestadt - Olofsson

Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Ruotsalainen - Asplund - Smith

I have a fear that he thinks that Sobotka and Thompson belong in the top 9...

7 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I think Vesey is the winger for Jack.  Assuming that the Sabres get a true stop-gap #2 Centre:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey

Rodrigues - 2C - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittlestadt - Olofsson

Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Ruotsalainen - Asplund - Smith

I have a fear that he thinks that Sobotka and Thompson belong in the top 9...

That roster belongs to one of the five worst teams in hockey. There is absolutely no way that they could put that on the ice. If JV is on the top line for the season, they have already conceded to a lottery pick and probably top 5 overall

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Are there enough wingers on the roster now for all of the lines?

We could see Casey get another shot at 2C with actual middle six wings.

Before we trade Risto away I'd rather they see if they could do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.