Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Kane and Guhle for Montour and O’Regan? Pretty even on the hockey front,  but a big win for the Sabres cap wise.

Haven't read the thread yet, but Charlie must be at his sunniest. He wanted to give up the Mittelstadt pick for Montour.

I like Montour and he confirms JBot’s commitment to Housley hockey. Is he a core piece?

Time will tell.  Really like your point about committing to Housley hockey.  This seems like the type of d Phil wants.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Kane and Guhle for Montour and O’Regan? Pretty even on the hockey front,  but a big win for the Sabres cap wise.

Haven't read the thread yet, but Charlie must be at his sunniest. He wanted to give up the Mittelstadt pick for Montour.

I like Montour and he confirms JBot’s commitment to Housley hockey. Is he a core piece?

Damn that's a good memory. Yeah I've been super high on getting Montour from them for awhile now. He hasn't progressed as well as I hoped he would, but I'll attribute this season to Carlyle being quite possibly one of the worst coaches imaginable

Still, I'm very happy with this. I don't want to part with Risto, but it can't be denied how badly we need a top 6 forward 

24 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Pilut isn't very good right now.

Which is why he's in Ra-cha-cha.  But he should get his confidence back fairly quickly.  And getting 3rd line match ups &  minutes with Bogosian there to step up should people try to take liberties with him will see him settle in just fine.

I don't know anything about this guy so I have one question, how tough is he? If he has a gritty edge to his game I like the deal. If he's another soft speedster like Pilut I'm not so sure.

Seems like the kind of deal a GM makes when a team has done better than expected and is knocking on playoffs door now rather than in whatever time frame the future pick would develop in.

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Pieces are good! Really good. Especially if they are defensmen 

I was going to reply but my wife got pissed with me being on the internet talking about nice pieces.  She just doesn't understand hockey..  ?

• Haha (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which is why he's in Ra-cha-cha.  But he should get his confidence back fairly quickly.  And getting 3rd line match ups &  minutes with Bogosian there to step up should people try to take liberties with him will see him settle in just fine.

I'm not sure it's a confidence thing, he's just not NHL ready.

With all the defensmen callups this year, Guhle only played two games.  Pilut played 25, Nelson 22, Hunwick 8, and Tennyson 4.  His performance in Rochester this year (27P in 50GP, -11 is a team-worst) also plateaued compared to last year (26P in 50GP, +1), and that was on a Rochester team that got a lot better this year.

We bolstered our defense with a young roster player that has potential and is under contract for a while without eating salary or trading out roster players.  I think we're doing alright, especially considering we still have two firsts.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I agree, like I said, he's not ready.

Ready, is Guhle? What knows he of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained defensemen. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be played.

Speaking of Yoda (nice blend, Fozzie! Thank you, Fozzie!) when Guhle came up --- in his first game he negated a breakaway singlehandedly with speed. Then, some games later (maybe the beginning of the next season) he and Jack went on a rush together...  and I did the whole Yoda-head-raising when Luke is lifting the X-wing out of the swamp.

But then... the X-wing sank back into the swamp...  and my Yoda head dipped back down. Sadly, Guhle hasn't done anything since. So, welcome to Dagobah, Montour!

Am I right on the condition?

1) If Stl fails to make the playoffs and the pick is top 10, then the pick is deferred to 2020 and Ana gets SJ's pick

2) If Stl fails to make the plays  but their pick falls between 11-15, we keep the pick and Ana gets SJ's pick

3) if Stl makes the playoffs and is eliminated in the 1st rd and their picks ends up between 16-20, we keep the pick and Ana gets SJ''s pick.

4) if Stl makes the playoffs as does SJ, Ana chooses the best position of the 2 from 21 to 31.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Am I right on the condition?

1) If Stl fails to make the playoffs and the pick is top 10, then the pick is deferred to 2020 and Ana gets SJ's pick

2) If Stl fails to make the plays  but their pick falls between 11-15, we keep the pick and Ana gets SJ's pick

3) if Stl makes the playoffs and is eliminated in the 1st rd and their picks ends up between 16-20, we keep the pick and Ana gets SJ''s pick.

4) if Stl makes the playoffs as does SJ, Ana chooses the best position of the 2 from 21 to 31.

That is how I read it. 

I said it gaes ago Botterill is clearing out everybody that is not his guy and Risto may very likely be next. Botterill couldn;t wait to get rid of OReilly for basically nothing and I figured Guhle and Nylander would go. I do think this is not a bad trade but moving Risto would open a huge hole on a already weak defense.

So I don't know Montour. I tend to be pretty oblivious to players on other teams outside the division, especially those in the Western conference. I do like adding an NHL ready player to our RHD since we're thin there and a lot deeper at LHD.

I'm not sure I like giving up a first, but no way we get this guy for Guhle straight up and in the scheme of things a 1st may be a little high, or it might be a wash. It's always so hard to gauge because whoever gets picked with that first isn't likely to be playing in the NHL right away anyways.

Mostly though, I don't get the timing of the trade. We need offense right now. Is this the first step towards trading away someone else (Risto seems to be the most likely that anyone would want to trade for to me) today for some offense? Does Jbots like this guy so much he thought it wouldn't be a move he could make in the offseason? I guess we'll see if anything else happens today. If nothing else happens, I'll be kind of confused.

Personally while I wouldn't mind losing Risto longer term if we get someone good offensively back in his place. Right now though, I don't think we have anyone to fill the minutes or toughness he brings. I already feel like we're too soft if we're building a cup contender as is. And, if we're trading him for prospects or picks though, no thanks. We have enough of those, even after trading away a 1st on this pick.

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

Not sure I like giving up the 1st for Montour.  He's just OK, not a difference maker in any sense.

The loss of Guhle is no big deal; he was beginning to look like a bust.

First round picks are very valuable if it's high. A defenseman 24 years old playing in the NHL is probably not bad for where the pick is. That's why Guhle was part of deal.

29 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

So I don't know Montour. I tend to be pretty oblivious to players on other teams outside the division, especially those in the Western conference. I do like adding an NHL ready player to our RHD since we're thin there and a lot deeper at LHD.

I'm not sure I like giving up a first, but no way we get this guy for Guhle straight up and in the scheme of things a 1st may be a little high, or it might be a wash. It's always so hard to gauge because whoever gets picked with that first isn't likely to be playing in the NHL right away anyways.

Mostly though, I don't get the timing of the trade. We need offense right now. Is this the first step towards trading away someone else (Risto seems to be the most likely that anyone would want to trade for to me) today for some offense? Does Jbots like this guy so much he thought it wouldn't be a move he could make in the offseason? I guess we'll see if anything else happens today. If nothing else happens, I'll be kind of confused.

Personally while I wouldn't mind losing Risto longer term if we get someone good offensively back in his place. Right now though, I don't think we have anyone to fill the minutes or toughness he brings. I already feel like we're too soft if we're building a cup contender as is. And, if we're trading him for prospects or picks though, no thanks. We have enough of those, even after trading away a 1st on this pick.

You do know that we need defence as much as offense, at the moment were at 17th place and only Dallas above us has same issues as us, rest has more goals than against. 

The issue we have with goals against is not only on our goalies.

Edited by MODO Hockey

1 minute ago, MODO Hockey said:

You do know that we need defence as much as offisensive, at the moment were at 17th place and only Dallas above us has same issues as us, rest has more goals than against. 

The issue we have with goals against is not only on our goalies.

Yeah, our defense needs help too, but not as much as our offense IMHO. I think this is a good move for us longer term, but I don't see it doing much this season. We're not anywhere close to a cup contender, so it's going to take more moves and some time for younger guys to mature.

I still think the timing of trading for him now feels like the first step towards another trade to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I also think people overvalue late first round picks. To me all that should mean is someone who plays a high number of NHL games. It doesn't mean someone who instantly plays in the NHL or who is slated to play in the top 6 on offense or top 4 of defense. Teams needs depth and role players. Of course everyone wants that next 1st round draft pick to be a star player, but that's just not realistic IMHO.

1 minute ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Yeah, our defense needs help too, but not as much as our offense IMHO. I think this is a good move for us longer term, but I don't see it doing much this season. We're not anywhere close to a cup contender, so it's going to take more moves and some time for younger guys to mature.

I still think the timing of trading for him now feels like the first step towards another trade to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

You really think so? i dont agree to a point of looking at goals made. For example, Boston is at 186 goals and Islanders on 178 goals.
They are both 4th and 5th in the league.
Sabres at 176 <-

I honestly believe that if we had a really stable defensive our offensive players would be way more calm and would be able to focus on playing their game
instead of holding back because lack of defensive plays. 

Trading Risto for a offensive player is just stupid in my opinion, give Risto a good defensive partner and things would look really good.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.