Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

Brian Burke (yeah yeah) was just commenting that his feeling was that Montour just didn't fit into the Ducks lineup as well as they would want.  He thinks that he'll shine in Buffalo.

The good news is that we'll get to see if advanced stats hold true or if things change. 

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No tears for Guhle?

I've always thought he was overrated as a prospect — great athlete, questionable hockey mind — but he was pretty hyped around here.

Will Paul Hamilton be OK?

A decent illustration of the folly of falling in love with the kids and projecting them out as key pieces of some glorious future — in four to seven years. It almost never works out that way.

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Narrative: Brandon loves it in Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

This is an interesting article:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/2/24/18239015/assess-brendan-guhle-trade-buffalo-sabres-brandon-montour-anaheim-ducks-thoughts-comments-reaction

Not only were Leafs fans/media interested in him, apparently Penguins fans/media were, too.  

I've not seen a lot of commentary on this, but his zone entries and exits drives possession which is something the Sabres sorely need.  Hopefully with Montour we'll see a lot less dump-n-chase.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No tears for Guhle?

I've always thought he was overrated as a prospect — great athlete, questionable hockey mind — but he was pretty hyped around here.

Will Paul Hamilton be OK?

PH won't be ok until Sam Reinhart is no long a Sabre. Dude has a serious ax to grind with Sam. An unhealthy level if you ask me. 

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't see a "we" on this. There is a wide range of opinions on their value on here.

Darcy said it best... paraphrasing: Draft picks are the currency of the modern NHL.

I think fans should pull back on always attributing those picks to a potential player and just accept that it is "money" first and a player second.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ... said:

I've not seen a lot of commentary on this, but his zone entries and exits drives possession which is something the Sabres sorely need.  Hopefully with Montour we'll see a lot less dump-n-chase.

This is definitely what he is good at, and how he should help, but I don't think we do much dump-and-chase any more.

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, ... said:

This is an interesting article:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/2/24/18239015/assess-brendan-guhle-trade-buffalo-sabres-brandon-montour-anaheim-ducks-thoughts-comments-reaction

Not only were Leafs fans/media interested in him, apparently Penguins fans/media were, too.  

Again, being in 'leaf country' aka 'the Great Satan' there was a lot of discussion around the leafs looking to find a way to trade for Montour.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

PH won't be ok until Sam Reinhart is no long a Sabre. Dude has a serious ax to grind with Sam. An unhealthy level if you ask me. 

Evidence?

I see him using Reino as a Swiss Army Knife.  He knows he works well with Jack and by extension Skinner, but he's also good at complementing other players on other lines.  I haven't noticed any anti-Reino bias from HCPH.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Evidence?

I see him using Reino as a Swiss Army Knife.  He knows he works well with Jack and by extension Skinner, but he's also good at complementing other players on other lines.  I haven't noticed any anti-Reino bias from HCPH.

PH = Paul Hamilton 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Evidence?

He unfortunately referred to Paul Hamilton as PH.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Call it unfortunate but he's the original PH. Not sure decreed that Phil is now PH.  

That is true - Ham Sandwich is the OG PH.

Maybe it needs to be GRPH and HCPH?

Also, it's been a minute since I heard GRPH rant about Reinhart, but man do I recall him just hating the player and possibly even the young man himself on some level.

• Like (+1) 2

The late 1st is probably overrated, there was a post here in the last few weeks showing the "knee" of the pick success odds is around #23, meaning picks 23 to 31 aren't much more likely to hit than early second round. It's sticker shock, but in terms of results this wouldn't be much different than giving the Sabres (presumably early) second round pick*. There's just a cachet to "1st round pick".

I haven't been paying attention, did @jame flame-out? I figured he'd be all over this thread.

* I don't know if the Sabres actually have a second this year, it's just an example.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.