Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Yep 

With Getzlaf, Perry And  Kessler locked into long term deals with NTCs  they need to do something to turn over the roster. 

So they trade their 24 year old promising Right Hand D?  I know some of those old guys are close to untradeable right now but I wouldn't be thrilled as a Ducks fan.

Just now, dudacek said:

No tears for Guhle?

I've always thought he was overrated as a prospect — great athlete, questionable hockey mind — but he was pretty hyped around here.

Will Paul Hamilton be OK?

At a time where they had a GM who wasn't particularly interested in drafting any defense early, he was the only one we had with any potential early upside.  The rest were very long term projects.  Then he goes out and has a solid first camp at the same time while the team defensive depth was at kiddie pool level, it was natural that he was going to get a lot of talk.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Depends on how you view Guhle and the 1st. 

For sure.  But they know the best case for the 1st is 21st overall.  So it's a nice piece but we all know the odds of a 21+ overall pick turning out.  As I said, I guess they really value Guhle (which he could turn out but is a question).

Lots of good content here - my thanks to @TrueBlueGED and @Taro T especially.

From what little digging I did on the advanced stat sites, I had a nagging fear that Mountour could become a bit of a whipping boy for fans owing to the fact that, according to some, he's not great defending the attack in his own end (i.e., that he's average/good in that regard, but excels at other (more modern?) elements of a d-man's game (transition,  puck movement)). 

A notion: If Dahlin promptly becomes a true 1D, Montour may be good enough to skate with him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

For sure.  But they know the best case for the 1st is 21st overall.  So it's a nice piece but we all know the odds of a 21+ overall pick turning out.  As I said, I guess they really value Guhle (which he could turn out but is a question).

I don't understand what you are arguing over? 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I agree. Unless there is something we don't know about the guy. 

This is also reasonable.  From all accounts it does seem Montour took a bit of a step back this year.  Maybe this puts doubt in their mind he can turn into the player many think he can be.

I remember several Sabres analysts, radio hosts etc. wanting Montour for 2-3 years now.  I am forced to listening to leaf media up here and they've been proposing trades for this guy for years.  I'm talking some who were serious about wanting to move a guy like Nylander for.  These are fans and at best arm chair analysts.  It just seems like he's pretty highly regarded around the league.  Maybe the Ducks know something most don't?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't understand what you are arguing over? 

No arguing.  I'm just very surprised the Ducks traded a 24 year old Dman if they will be rebuilding.  That's all.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This is also reasonable.  From all accounts it does seem Montour took a bit of a step back this year.  Maybe this puts doubt in their mind he can turn into the player many think he can be.

I remember several Sabres analysts, radio hosts etc. wanting Montour for 2-3 years now.  I am forced to listening to leaf media up here and they've been proposing trades for this guy for years.  I'm talking some who were serious about wanting to move a guy like Nylander for.  These are fans and at best arm chair analysts.  It just seems like he's pretty highly regarded around the league.  Maybe the Ducks know something most don't?

It's just strange they gave him up for what they did. Guhle can't crack the line up and late number one picks are usually a low percentage crap shoot. So I guess only time will tell. Hopefully we got a real steal here 

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

No arguing.  I'm just very surprised the Ducks traded a 24 year old Dman if they will be rebuilding.  That's all.

They shifted the clock back a few years.  That 24 year old was turned into a 21 year old and a first round pick.  If they're on a 3 year process (there's that number again), that's two pieces they hope to be significant contributes at that point as opposed to a d-man now approaching the cliff.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Maybe this puts doubt in their mind he can turn into the player many think he can be.

Perhaps his "step back" this year just points out that he isn't a Carlyle kind of D-man, but he's a Housley-type.  So the Ducks move on from him, get pieces for the future and the Sabres fill a more pressing need.  Like many trades, it's a question of trading established commodities for futures.  I kind of like the idea that JBot looks to be building for the present (or at least the near future), rather than some distant "post-rebuild" time way off ahead.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yep.  If he's not playing for the Leafs he couldn't be any closer to home.  He might have preferred a trade to the Leafs but Buffalo probably looks like a decent opportunity to him as well.

Face it, Buffalo and Toronto are probably going to be engaged in an arms race for a while.  We won this round.

Edited by Doohickie

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We need to stop looking at low first round picks the way we do. It just isn't the reality of how they are viewed in the league. 

I don't see a "we" on this. There is a wide range of opinions on their value on here.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, shrader said:

It's only one comment, but I like the head on his shoulders after reading that one.

"Let's get after it" implies a Win Now attitude.  This team is starting to get there but they still have a ways to go before the rest of the team really thinks of themselves that way I think.  If you consider the intangible, almost metaphysical aspect of the game, JBot got rid of "We need to be better" implying that we're not good enough, with "Let's get after it" implying that it's time to win.

The Sabres are still in the playoff hunt.  I'm not saying Montour will put us over the top but that attitude won't hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

"Let's get after it" implies a Win Now attitude.  This team is starting to get there but they still have a ways to go before the rest of the team really thinks of themselves that way I think.  If you consider the intangible, almost metaphysical aspect of the game, JBot got rid of "We need to be better" implying that we're not good enough, with "Let's get after it" implying that it's time to win.

The Sabres are still in the playoff hunt.  I'm not saying Montour will put us over the top but that attitude won't hurt.

Along those lines, if makes a similiar trade that brings in a scoring forward who will be here for awhile, that would be nice 

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

'Cause my neighbor who is from Grimsby keeps talking about Gretzky growing up in his town. He could be pulling my leg.

When you drive through Brantford it says “home of Wayne Gretzky” and he built a sports complex there. He might not be meaning to pull your leg, but he’s certainly wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm neither excited nor upset by this trade. I wish however the pick was for our lowest first. I think that's my only gripe

Technically speaking, it's the SJ pick or the St Louis pick if between 20-31.  Either way it's likely the lower of the picks. 

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Perhaps his "step back" this year just points out that he isn't a Carlyle kind of D-man, but he's a Housley-type.  So the Ducks move on from him, get pieces for the future and the Sabres fill a more pressing need.  Like many trades, it's a question of trading established commodities for futures.  I kind of like the idea that JBot looks to be building for the present (or at least the near future), rather than some distant "post-rebuild" time way off ahead.

Yep.  If he's not playing for the Leafs he couldn't be any closer to home.  He might have preferred a trade to the Leafs but Buffalo probably looks like a decent opportunity to him as well.

All their big D took a step back this year, apparently, so it's something team-wide.

I think a D-man like Montour might actually like the idea of the Sabres because of Housley's system; being active offensively has to be more interesting.  We have Dahlin, Eichel, Skinner (for now), we're coming out of a rebuild with a modern system and owners with a rep for spending money and desperate for a Cup.  Also, I think our "hockey town" rep is strong.  

Other than constant sun and flip-flops, there's a lot here to like for a hockey player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.