Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

1 minute ago, MODO Hockey said:

You really think so? i dont agree to a point of looking at goals made. For example, Boston is at 186 goals and Islanders on 178 goals.
They are both 4th and 5th in the league.
Sabres at 176 <-

I honestly believe that if we had a really stable defensive our offensive players would be way more calm and would be able to focus on playing their game
instead of holding back because lack of defensive plays. 

Trading Risto for a offensive player is just stupid in my opinion, give Risto a good defensive partner and things would look really good.

I do, because I'd guess (without looking, so I could easily be wrong) that Boston or Islanders scoring is lot more balanced than ours. If Skinner had gone down with a season ending injury on Saturday we'd be screwed. Reinhardt is finally showing he can produce without Eichel again, but apart from him, who else is going to score if Skinner is gone? Mitts is too young/inexperienced and should have spent the year in Rochester. Svobtka is a waste of a roster spot. Berglund was supposed to fill that role for now, but we saw how that worked out. I don't want to spark the holy war that's become O'Reilly but I wonder how this team would have played if he was our #2 this year.

Also, I'm not saying I think we should trade Risto, but we don't have anything else that would get us a good enough offensive player, ideally a #2 center. Personally I'd rather keep him, but JBots is going to need to make some kind of move this offseason if not later today. I don't know. I don't pretend to be a GM, so I have no idea how JBots is going to improve both our Offense and Defense for next season unless he pulls off another Skinner-type robbery.

Although to me the Skinner deal only really comes off looking great if we resign him. Otherwise we just helped Skinner earn a big payday somewhere else on our way to another mediocre season. It made it a lot more fun to watch than it would have been without him, but 1 season isn't enough.

39 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

You do know that we need defence as much as offense, at the moment were at 17th place and only Dallas above us has same issues as us, rest has more goals than against. 

The issue we have with goals against is not only on our goalies.

Agreed.  I would only add that our team +/- deteriorates during the course of a game as well.  For the season, the team is in the "plus" side for the 1st period.  It goes negative for the 2nd, and even further negative in the 3rd.  The Tampa game was an exception, but otherwise the stats say we start off well, but lose ground in the second and then fall further behind in the 3rd. 

If we can improve our team defense in the second half of a game, this will keep us in games longer and result in more points.

Edited by Carmel Corn

In summation, depending on which #1 pick (StL or SJS) is the piece leaving, the trade is either:

A.  Kane + Guhle   =  Montour + O'Regan + 4th(2019)*   , the pick seems to be surely this year's 4th round since SJS'  3rd(2020) is conditionally traded away now

B. O'Reilly + Guhle = Montour + Thompson + Sobotka + 2nd(2021)

I'm not very high on Guhle. He can skate like the wind, but he is timid with the puck, and doesn't drive play enough.  I was very down on Kane.

So, I'm happy with option A, the Kane trade scenario. 

But, I'm not pleased with the return on the O'Reilly deal.  Montour seems like a player. Thompson will be lucky to turn into our Joel Armia part deux.  Sobotka ain't

anything special.  And a 2nd round pick is certainly not a guarantee to return a player.  So, the only guaranteed return on O'Reilly is Montour in scenario B.  Ugh!

6 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

The only issue I have with this trade - and it's not a huge one - is that it would seem to lock in Housley for 2019-2020, because if you fire Housley this offseason you're burdening the incoming HC with a blue line that is not necessarily suited to his system, and less draft picks to acquire players for the new system etc.

That lock up was stated publicly two weeks ago.  

According to JBot, the Sabres do not need a better coach.  They need a few better players and more experience. 

Edited by Pimlach

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Use these dad ?

"These" show up on my screen as some kind of cruel eye test for 50-somethings. Let's see, doc.. O I F? Uh, G? I O?

12 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

In summation, depending on which #1 pick (StL or SJS) is the piece leaving, the trade is either:

Good to see you posting again. When did you get out?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

That lock up was stated publicly two weeks ago.  

According to JBot, the Sabres do not need a better coach.  They need a few better players and more experience. 

I understand JB gave Phil a public vote of confidence, but I tend not to put too much stock in those.  Structural changes such as a trade of future assets for a player who fits Phil's system, on the other hand, seems far more final.

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

I understand JB gave Phil a public vote of confidence, but I tend not to put too much stock in those.  Structural changes such as a trade of future assets for a player who fits Phil's system, on the other hand, seems far more final.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ready, is Guhle? What knows he of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained defensemen. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be played.

Speaking of Yoda (nice blend, Fozzie! Thank you, Fozzie!) when Guhle came up --- in his first game he negated a breakaway singlehandedly with speed. Then, some games later (maybe the beginning of the next season) he and Jack went on a rush together...  and I did the whole Yoda-head-raising when Luke is lifting the X-wing out of the swamp.

But then... the X-wing sank back into the swamp...  and my Yoda head dipped back down. Sadly, Guhle hasn't done anything since. So, welcome to Dagobah, Montour!

Pilut, we were talking about.

1 hour ago, Ross Rhea said:

I hope they don't trade Risto, Montour is a great addition and like Roman Josi for zone entries, who Housley had in Nashville. Risto, Montour, Bogo, Dahlin, McCabe, I really like those 5. Now they need to trade one or two of Baloo, Nelson, Scandy, Hunwick. Log jam on blue line now. 

Yep this.  I know we need forwards but we finally have a good looking D on paper.  I think this move helps Risto as he was the only legit top 4 Right Hand D on the roster.  Now we can play Risto 21 minutes per game vs the 24 he has historically got.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because they are tanking. 

But he's 24.  Still young, has term left and RFA thereafter.  It's similar to if we traded Risto during one of our tanking season.  Still doesn't make a ton of sense for them unless they are worried about how much they will pay Montour after next season or are in love with Guhle.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

But he's 24.  Still young, has term left and RFA thereafter.  It's similar to if we traded Risto during one of our tanking season.  Still doesn't make a ton of sense for them unless they are worried about how much they will pay Montour after next season or are in love with Guhle.

No it isn't. Risto was 19 in tank 1 and 20 in tank 2. Montour will be 25 next year and they would have to look to pay him. They would rather acquire the 21 year old Guhle and a pick to help with their rebuild. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.