Speculation Risto to Tampa??

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

More likely, I think.

Also remember that each team can only protect 3 d-men for the expansion draft. So assuming Dahlin and Montour are protected, two of Risto, McCabe, and Pilut will have to be exposed in a couple years.

Would be shocked if all 5 are still Sabres then.

The Sabres will not trade Risto without getting a 2C and another very good player.  Very interesting stuff here but why would the best team in the league make a blockbuster trade like moving Point,  right before the playoffs.  

I can see these scenarios playing out in July, but not now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would be shocked if all 5 are still Sabres then.

I think we would keep Dahlin, Risto, and Montour and then leave McCabe and Pilut unprotected. Our d-men for the start of the 2021-22 season would then look like this:

Risto - Dahlin

Montour - McCabe/Pilut

Laaksonen - Samuelsson

Borgen

This is a very promising d-men corps.

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Sabres will not trade Risto without getting a 2C and another very good player.  Very interesting stuff here but why would the best team in the league make a blockbuster trade like moving Point,  right before the playoffs.  

I can see these scenarios playing out in July, but not now. 

This is where I'm at. If I'm TB, I might like Risto's physicality against the other team's top players, especially in a series --- but why would I ever give up Point going into the playoffs? Ristolainen is not Chara in his prime.

13 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I think we would keep Dahlin, Risto, and Montour and then leave McCabe and Pilut unprotected. Our d-men for the start of the 2021-22 season would then look like this:

Risto - Dahlin

Montour - McCabe/Pilut

Laaksonen - Samuelsson

Borgen

This is a very promising d-men corps.

Should all 5 be Sabres when Seattle is drafting, those 3 would be the ones to protect.  But, not expecting them all to be here 2+ years from now.  Heck, we're hearing rumors that Ristolainen won't be a Sabre at dinnertime tomorrow.

Botterill isn't afraid of big moves & to upgrade the C's will almost definitely require a good D-man going out as part of the package.

Like I said before, seems impossible to do this deal right now, this is just talk for july 1st after Tampa had their run at the SC.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Obviously I've become alot less concerned about a Risto trade now.  Go get us a 2C, JBott.

Less concerned yes, but I still don't think we should.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Like I said before, seems impossible to do this deal right now, this is just talk for july 1st after Tampa had their run at the SC.

Maybe. But I don't see Tampa waiting to get a physical D man like Risto until the off season. If they are going for it, he's a guy I'd imagine they'd want now.

Not to say they even want him, but, if what Strickland says is true, that a rumor won't go away, I can fully see why they'd want him now.

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I, for one, will not shed a single tear if we are in the "unfortunate" situation of having three top-6 centers. 

The 3 top 6 centers are the ones I'd be worried about shedding tears. 1 of them anyway. 

I have to think any deal the lighting plan on making would not entail much of the current roster. So picks or prospects. They have enough deadline cap space to add Risto and wouldn't have to worry about cap implications until the off-season. If Risto is traded for anything not in the lineup making a difference next season, it would be a colossal failure. The players hete are tired of losing, they don't want to do it for another year. These guys are people not robots. (Only top part is directed at you Blue)

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

why would the best team in the league make a blockbuster trade like moving Point

If there’s a reason to do it (I don’t think there is, FTR) it’s that they’re pretty screwed salary-cap wise and need to bleed roster players to keep the core together.  This is a draft-day move rather than now, but with a pending RFA you’d get a better price now.  

Still, nonsense.  

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Trading Risto right now would be one step forward after getting Montour and then taking 2 steps back.  

I agree. I like guys like Cirelli and Foote, but not for Risto, and salary would have to be coming back as well, meaning Tampa would have to up the ante. A Foote/Killorn/first type deal would be god-awful from where I sit.

I could see them really wanting Risto for the playoffs because the one area they have been exposed in is toughness, but would they move someone from their core in a hockey trade? I hope Botterill has no interest in a Risto for lottery tickets type trade.

They might give up Miller, but I'd rather have Risto. Never mind the aggression, he provides almost as much offence. Could Sergachev be on the table? Would we be open to taking Coburn, or Girardi, or, god forbid, Callahan at the right price?

As far as I'm concerned, it would have to be a significant deal to move Risto and why would a team as good as Tampa overpay? It's not like they have a Casey Mittelstadt to offer.

Separately, I'm wondering if Jake McCabe is being discussed (not necessarily to Tampa) for a forward of similar age and value: young, cheap and built for the playoffs. Guys like Jake are in demand this time of year.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree. I like guys like Cirelli and Foote, but not for Risto, and salary would have to be coming back as well, meaning Tampa would have to up the ante. A Foote/Killorn/first type deal would be god-awful from where I sit.

I could see them really wanting Risto for the playoffs because the one area they have been exposed in is toughness, but would they move someone from their core in a hockey trade? I hope Botterill has no interest in a Risto for lottery tickets type trade.

They might give up Miller, but I'd rather have Risto. Never mind the aggression, he provides almost as much offence. Could Sergachev be on the table? Would we be open to taking Coburn, or Girardi, or, god forbid, Callahan at the right price?

As far as I'm concerned, it would have to be a significant deal to move Risto and why would a team as good as Tampa overpay? It's not like they have a Casey Mittelstadt to offer.

Separately, I'm wondering if Jake McCabe is being discussed (not necessarily to Tampa) for a forward of similar age and value: young, cheap and built for the playoffs. Guys like Jake are in demand this time of year.

Agree.  As much as I like McCabe, he is replaceable.  Pilut, Scandella and Baloo can all step into his role, maybe not quite as well, but I'm willing to take JT Miller for him.

Maybe the thought is we can keep Baloo much much cheaper then McCabe and get 80% of the same play of 50% of the $?

As to Risto; before the trade we were Risto, Bogo, Nelson, Borgen as our top 4 RHD.  After the trade we are Montour, RIsto, Bogo, Nelson.  This is a huge improvement.  Why would be want to go back to Montour, Bogo, Nelson and Borgen?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I don't see a trade of Risto to Tampa Bay that I would be happy with honestly. There is no way that TB is subtracting from their roster in advance of the playoff run, and the prospects quality doesn't interest me enough to trade Risto. No interest in futures that are 3-4 years from making an impact.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.