Speculation Risto to Tampa??

Brawndo

I can see Tampa wanting a gritty D man like Risto for their cup run but I can't see them weakening the existing roster to do it so it'd be picks and prospects and that would be like another tear down of our D so I don't like the idea unless it's a huge return.

I wonder if they aren't perhaps actually looking at Bogo for the same reasons, a gritty D man for a cup run? He's had a great year after all and is at peak value. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can see Tampa wanting a gritty D man like Risto for their cup run but I can't see them weakening the existing roster to do it so it'd be picks and prospects and that would be like another tear down of our D so I don't like the idea unless it's a huge return.

I wonder if they aren't perhaps actually looking at Bogo for the same reasons, a gritty D man for a cup run? He's had a great year after all and is at peak value. 

They'd have to move almost $4 million to make the cap hit work in the short term, and probably more to make it work for next year.  Somebody's coming off the roster to bring him in if it happens.  

Just now, Sabel79 said:

They'd have to move almost $4 million to make the cap hit work in the short term, and probably more to make it work for next year.  Somebody's coming off the roster to bring him in if it happens.  

we could be retaining salary to get the prospect.

Just now, WildCard said:

Also think this is a stupid move by Tampa. Why make such a significant move to your already perfect team? I never get why contending teams do anything at the deadline other than get depth 

cause last year they were too soft and they are still worried about it.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, Foote is a better skater. I'd take Foote and Cirelli as part of the package. 

Cirelli scored the ot winner for my gens in the memorial cup final in 2015.  I have many fawn memories of some big time clutch goals.  Would love for him to become a sabre.  He's put up some decent stats in basically his rookie season as well.  No way he would be a centre piece but I would love him to be included.  Don't know much about Foote.  Adams son?

Tampa isn't exactly a perfect fit for what I'd want out of a deal, but they've got a ton of pieces of talks are trending in a direction where Botterill wants to amass several assets.

Foote, Cernak, Cirelli, Raddysh all mentioned already. Callahan's contract could easily be involved. JT Miller has been talked about as a trade candidate.

If we're tasked with taking on Callahan's contract I'd want to get three of the first four names above.

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Tampa isn't exactly a perfect fit for what I'd want out of a deal, but they've got a ton of pieces of talks are trending in a direction where Botterill wants to amass several assets.

Foote, Cernak, Cirelli, Raddysh all mentioned already. Callahan's contract could easily be involved. JT Miller has been talked about as a trade candidate.

If we're tasked with taking on Callahan's contract I'd want to get three of the first four names above.

Good stuff Hoss, so there is some truth to these rumors based on your first sentence? 

Also here are Pronman’s Tampa Bay Prospect Rankings from the Summer

Prospect Rankings

LEGIT NHL PROSPECT

1. Alexander Volkov, RW, Syracuse-AHL

Volkov made a lot of noise at Tampa’s camp and followed it up with a very good first AHL season. He has all the tools you want. His skills are high-end, he makes plays, he has size and he skates well. His toolkit shows a player with top-six forward upside. Over the years he’s shown a willingness to battle, as well, and play a 200-foot game. There were some consistency issues for him as he made the transition to the North American pro game, and there were times I watched him fade a bit into the background, but the indicators for him were much more positive than negative.

2. Cal Foote, D, Kelowna-WHL

Foote was one of the best defensemen in the WHL this season and looked decent at the WJC and AHL levels, too. He’s 6-foot-4, is very smart and poised moving the puck. He can be a reliable defender, as well, who leans on his checks and makes a lot of stops. He’s a steady pillar for his coach to deploy and can play in any situation. There is a bit of an upside question for him as his hands are average, good for a big man but he won’t make standout plays, and his skating is subpar.

3. Boris Katchouk, LW, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL

Katchouk was one of the top players in the OHL this season and led the OHL postseason in scoring. I had my skepticism about his upside going into the season but really liked what he did offensively. He played a lot with Morgan Frost but by no means was Katchouk riding Frost’s coattails. Katchouk showed his trademark energy and physicality but also played with skill, executing difficult plays with his hands and vision. His feet have progressed, too, where he’s able to get up and down the rink at a decent pace. He projects as a guy who can play anywhere in a lineup.

4. Anthony Cirelli, C, Tampa Bay-NHL

Cirelli continued to impress at every level he played at over the past few years. This season it was initially in the AHL and then in the NHL for the second half and postseason. Cirelli’s skill level isn’t that high, limiting his upside to a likely third-line forward, but he has a lot of positives. He skates very well, is an intelligent two-way center who can make plays and works his butt off. His speed allows him to kill penalties well and be a shorthanded threat. He has some hands, but they’re average at best.

5. Mathieu Joseph, LW, Syracuse-AHL

Joseph has become a favorite of mine as I’ve watched him closely the past few years between the QMJHL and AHL. He’s a great skater with above-average skills, and while his playmaking may not be high-end, he showed this season he could be a consistent offensive threat, at times a critical cog running Syracuse’s power play. He also works hard and can kill penalties. Adding more bulk to his lean frame will go a long way for his style of play.

6. Taylor Raddysh, RW, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL

Last season I was impressed by the strides Raddysh made, but I watched him a lot this season and often was left wanting for a little more impact. It’s hard to argue with his numbers, though, and he has talent. Raddysh is a big winger who competes hard for pucks and can make skilled plays. He has good hands, sees the ice well, if not very well, and can finish chances. He’s a great net-front guy on the man advantage who can also make plays down low. The main issue with him is his below-average skating, but I think there’s enough offense to his game to compensate.

7. Erik Cernak, D, Syracuse-AHL

After what seemed like a few seasons of stagnant development for Cernak, who was acquired in the Ben Bishop deal, this season was a notable step forward. Cernak has a lot of intriguing tools. He’s a 6-foot-4 defenseman who skates and moves the puck rather well for a big man. He plays hard, leaning on his checks with his massive frame, and can lay out some big hits. Cernak’s main issue historically is managing risk and his decision making. In the OHL, he simplified his game a lot, to the point that it took away from his offense. But in the AHL, he seemed to find a happy medium, and toward the end of the season, he was running his team’s top PP unit. He has a ways to go still, but he’s trending in the right direction.

8. Otto Somppi, C, Halifax-QMJHL

I wasn’t sold on Somppi last season, but when I watched Halifax this season, I came away quite impressed. I see a well-rounded forward. He’s skilled, he can make plays, he plays with speed and he can be effective on both special teams. I even saw the occasional flash of high-end ability from Somppi as a playmaker. A shoulder injury nagged him earlier in his QMJHL career, but it seems to be behind him, and he made an impact when healthy.

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If we take back Callahan's contract I'll kick the next puppy I run into. The ONLY acceptable reason to take that contract is if we're getting Point, which we know isn't happening. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.