Speculation Risto to Tampa??

Brawndo

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Miller+ would have been such a nice return for us. Instant upgrade with a legit 2C (on a solid contract) who can slide over to wing in the top-6 once Mittelstadt is ready. I'm so sad this didn't happen. 

Well, he also said that there was more to it on both sides, and that the Sabres didn't like the other pieces on Tampa's side, so we'll never know.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Well, he also said that there was more to it on both sides, and that the Sabres didn't like the other pieces on Tampa's side, so we'll never know.

I wouldn't need much more than Miller, to be honest. Still, hope for the offseason. Is Risto getting to the O'Reilly point where we feel a trade is simply inevitable? 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I wouldn't need much more than Miller, to be honest. Still, hope for the offseason. Is Risto getting to the O'Reilly point where we feel a trade is simply inevitable? 

I hope not.  This board underrates him bigtime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Tampa still has Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev as offensive RD. I believe McCabe fits into Tampa's d plans better.  So if Tampa has to gain cap space instead of Risto could they be looking for a McCabe. Would be a couple of million cheaper then Risto. If they want RD then its Risto or Bogo.

Would you do a deal with McCabe for Miller?  Bogo for Miller doesn't give them cap space so there would be a much bigger deal in place.

If they want Risto, I want Sergachev in return, but this doesn't relieve them of cap space.

Just now, sweetlou said:

Tampa still has Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev as offensive RD. I believe McCabe fits into Tampa's d plans better.  So if Tampa has to gain cap space instead of Risto could they be looking for a McCabe. Would be a couple of million cheaper then Risto. If they want RD then its Risto or Bogo.

Would you do a deal with McCabe for Miller?  Bogo for Miller doesn't give them cap space so there would be a much bigger deal in place.

If they want Risto, I want Sergachev in return, but this doesn't relieve them of cap space.

I'd do McCabe for Miller without hesitation and then do naked cartwheels down my street in celebration at the fleecing. 

16 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If JT Miller is the only major piece coming back then it’s a big flop. He’s a solid number three center. I’m not trading Risto for a number three center. Not even if a solid prospect is attached.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd do McCabe for Miller without hesitation and then do naked cartwheels down my street in celebration at the fleecing. 

This I would be all over.

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I’m not convinced it does. He really doesn’t do a lot of things well. During the Philly came on the penalty kill he had a chance to pass the puck off the boards to himself and clear the zone. Instead he took a terrible angle and passed it off the boards directly to a Philly player who was right there. Then Philly scored.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I’m not convinced it does. He really doesn’t do a lot of things well. During the Philly came on the penalty kill he had a chance to pass the puck off the boards to himself and clear the zone. Instead he took a terrible angle and passed it off the boards directly to a Philly player who was right there. Then Philly scored.

Which is why a return of Miller+ would be really good for us. 

• In addition to my question from Feb 25, this morning, @JeremyWGR reported that there was something in the works with respect to Ristolainen and Tampa. Specifically, he mentioned JT Miller.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
  •  

Problem is, now I have two credible guys saying true, one of whom gave details, and one credible guy saying false. Anyone going to dig into it?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
  •  

I guess I'll let @JeremyWGR know, then and ask him for more information? I mean, there's obviously SOMETHING that happened; Lawton and White are too credible and White is too specific.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
2cmmB0k1_bigger.jpgMike HarringtonVerified account @ByMHarrington
FollowingFollowing @ByMHarrington
More

Your assignment of credibility is dubious to say the least.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If JT Miller is the only major piece coming back then it’s a big flop. He’s a solid number three center. I’m not trading Risto for a number three center. Not even if a solid prospect is attached.

This I would be all over.

Miller has had a down season for sure, but I generally think you're underrating him. 

Just now, Eleven said:
  • In addition to my question from Feb 25, this morning, @JeremyWGR reported that there was something in the works with respect to Ristolainen and Tampa. Specifically, he mentioned JT Miller.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
  •  

Problem is, now I have two credible guys saying true, one of whom gave details, and one credible guy saying false. Anyone going to dig into it?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
  •  

I guess I'll let @JeremyWGR know, then and ask him for more information? I mean, there's obviously SOMETHING that happened; Lawton and White are too credible and White is too specific.

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
2cmmB0k1_bigger.jpgMike HarringtonVerified account @ByMHarrington
FollowingFollowing @ByMHarrington
More

Your assignment of credibility is dubious to say the least.

I don't know what to make of this other than Harrington doesn't appear to think much of Brian Lawton or Jeremy White.  (Please, don't make this about Mike.  I just want to get to the bottom of it.)

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Which is why a return of Miller+ would be really good for us. 

I’m still not trading him if it doesn’t bring back a top-six forward.

Just now, Eleven said:

I don't know what to make of this other than Harrington doesn't appear to think much of Brian Lawton or Jeremy White.  (Please, don't make this about Mike.  I just want to get to the bottom of it.)

Well... it kind of has to be made about Mike and the other sources being discussed. For the record, I don’t think Harrington knows a thing but I’m also damn sure White makes ***** up for twitter attention. I’m not convinced Lawton is as well connected as his job would have you believe.

I’m still not trading him if it doesn’t bring back a top-six forward.

Well... it kind of has to be made about Mike and the other sources being discussed. For the record, I don’t think Harrington knows a thing but I’m also damn sure White makes ***** up for twitter attention. I’m not convinced Lawton is as well connected as his job would have you believe.

We just disagree on how good Miller is. He had a run of about 5 season where he was clearly a top-6 forward. This year, not so much, but I'm comfortable banking on it being an outlier given he's only 25.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We just disagree on how good Miller is. He had a run of about 5 season where he was clearly a top-6 forward. This year, not so much, but I'm comfortable banking on it being an outlier given he's only 25.

He’s had a total of three seasons where he played more than 58 games so I think you might be thinking of a different player.

He’s only been a full-time player for four seasons total before this one.

58 GP - 23 PTS

82 GP - 43 PTS

82 GP - 56 PTS

83 GP - 58 PTS (83 games due to trade)

This year he’s on pace for 50 points. I want more than that out of my number two center, and I don’t see any indication he can get much better.

He’s had a total of three seasons where he played more than 58 games so I think you might be thinking of a different player.

He’s only been a full-time player for four seasons total before this one.

58 GP - 23 PTS

82 GP - 43 PTS

82 GP - 56 PTS

83 GP - 58 PTS (83 games due to trade)

This year he’s on pace for 50 points. I want more than that out of my number two center, and I don’t see any indication he can get much better.

I'm not thinking of a different player. How many 3rd liners have 3 (and possibly 4) straight 20-goal season? Miller was 34th among centers last year in scoring, and that's with players who obviously don't play center being counted such as Marner, Forsberg, and Huberdeau. Not sure what else you want from a 2nd line center. Sure, having a second Eichel would be awesome (and we all hope Mitts gets there) or a Backstrom-Kuznetsov combo, but that's really a team having two 1Cs.

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

True

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they overrate him big time. 

Also true.

Risto is very good at some things, and not so good at others and what you think of him tends to depend on what you value.

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

JT Miller is absolutely a top six forward. He's just not a top three forward.

What is good about him is that he is reliable and versatile and you will be able to plug him into the top nine wherever circumstances dictate.

Tampa's need for cap space means we should be able to get him without trading Risto. I'd be open to something much bigger that does include Risto, but only if they are willing to pay a price that values Risto as a 2/3 with the added premium of being right-handed.

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sorry, but the bottom line is the utter arrogance of Harrington. How does he know there weren't Risto discussions?

Is he privy to everything Tampa and the Sabres were discussing? Can he be sure? Even if he got it straight from Botterill's mouth, how can he verify it?

And for the record, in addition to White and Lawton, St. Louis reporter Andy Strickland also reported this. He was actually first

On JT Miller, what would he look like without being on the TB roster?  I think those numbers are barely enough, and would surely drop without the correct cast of characters playing with him, no?  

I mean, if Eichel were on TB's roster, his numbers would be (potentially, of course) amazing.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ... said:

On JT Miller, what would he look like without being on the TB roster?  I think those numbers are barely enough, and would surely drop without the correct cast of characters playing with him, no?  

I mean, if Eichel were on TB's roster, his numbers would be (potentially, of course) amazing.  

Miller put up solid numbers while playing with NYR. He would fit nicely in as the number 2 for a couple of years until Mitts could take over. Miller is very reliable on defense and not afraid to use his body.  

5 minutes ago, ... said:

His first two 20-goal season were with the Rangers; he had 43 points in his first full season (averaging about 15 minutes of ice time per game) and 56 in his second (averaging about 16.5 minutes per game). Before being traded to Tampa the following season, he had 13 goals and 40 points in 63 games with the Rangers. He's not a product of playing in Tampa.

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not thinking of a different player. How many 3rd liners have 3 (and possibly 4) straight 20-goal season? Miller was 34th among centers last year in scoring, and that's with players who obviously don't play center being counted such as Marner, Forsberg, and Huberdeau. Not sure what else you want from a 2nd line center. Sure, having a second Eichel would be awesome (and we all hope Mitts gets there) or a Backstrom-Kuznetsov combo, but that's really a team having two 1Cs.

I would also add that as a 20g scorer and 56/58pt seasons .....isn't that where ROR sits in that 55-65pt range. 

I'm not real familiar with Miller(only by name and he's a decent player)what other tangibles does he bring that could help relieve the ROR thingie?

10 minutes ago, ... said:

Send Sobotka to Tampa. I want to see if this is true.

23 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Compared to the numbers this board overrates him to an absurd degree. 

Which is why you can't *just* look at the numbers.  You also can't *just* look at the TV.  Gotta step out to a game once in a while and see what he's doing off-camera.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.