Jump to content
Samson's Flow

Playoffs! Do you think we make it?

Do the Sabres make the playoffs?  

76 members have voted

  1. 1. Do the Sabres make the playoffs?

    • Yes
      16
    • No
      60


Recommended Posts

Historically the playoff cutoff line has been around the 97 point mark. So far the Sabres have played 56 games for 63 points and sit two points behind Pittsburgh for the final wild card spot. There are a few teams to jump to make it, and about 1/3 rd of the season left to play.

 image.png.c352bbf5f091a2c4a63b22c0c099ffa0.png

Doing some quick math, the Sabres will need to up their PPG from ~1.125 to ~1.308, which equates to getting 4 points for every 3 games played (i.e. 2-1-0, 1-0-2, etc.). Essentially we need to play better than what we have YTD, and that includes the 10 game winning streak which boosted our points dramatically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add - here is the current standings as of 2/13/19. We would need to jump both Carolina and Pittsburgh to get the last spot.

image.thumb.png.525047bf8b25f6b8ff1b3e346c02dce6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we end up with 84-88 points this year, we just can't compete when the playoff hunt really kicks into high gear and the physical play starts, we've seen it and we just don't have the players or actual structure now to play at that pace 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, Flow and that other flow guy.

Not reading the historic stuff ... I voted ...

YES!!

DAMN IT!!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm voting yes with my heart, even if the math tells me head we probably won't. Either way, I'm just happy to be thinking about if we'll make the playoffs this late in the season..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You build a team with fancystats.  You make the playoffs by winning games.

 

JUST WIN, BABY!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sorry, Flow and that other flow guy.

Not reading the historic stuff ... I voted ...

YES!!

DAMN IT!!

Hey, he has like a buzz cut, I think we should call him full metal jacket flow and I can be Thor..... Mithout muscles 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Negative. It didn't go in. Just impacted outside the playoffs.

I'm sticking by my preseason prediction of very good season, in the playoff conversation until the very end, but ultimately coming up short. I said 4th in the Atlantic, but Montreal has been strong... and we might go 5th instead, even with a similar amount of estimated points.

But -- just like those first few trench runs -- there will be one upcoming soon that is going to light up the sky with Sabres joy.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can pass Carolina (and right now we're only 1 point behind with a game in hand), but ultimately, we will likely fall just short.  The team is better than it has been, but still lacks in a few areas and the competition is too strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes.

Because I want to believe.

I want to watch till mid April games that really matter, and not for draft position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack mans up and wills the team into the playoffs.

  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.

I expect JBot to move some contracts before the deadline and make the team much younger as a result. 

This season is about the future. That 10 game winning streak skewed the curve and got people giddy with anticipation of the playoffs. If it happens, that's great, but not at all likely from my point of view.

I hope they stay healthy, show improvement and strengthen the core that makes deep playoff runs for the next 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no, and at that point, 68% said no. I think that's a good representation- I'd put our chances at making them around 32%

Meaning, I will be far less surprised if we make the playoffs than I was when we landed the #1 draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My rule of thumb in the “Sabres are X points out of the last playoff spot” is that to take that last spot, 2  straight wins are required for each point they are behind.  So if they are 2 points behind, they need 4 straight wins to supplant the current holder of the spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My rule of thumb in the “Sabres are X points out of the last playoff spot” is that to take that last spot, 2  straight wins are required for each point they are behind.  So if they are 2 points behind, they need 4 straight wins to supplant the current holder of the spot.  

Especially if we are 4 wons behind in the ROW.

The biggest problem facing Jbot is what move to make to get this team over the hump.  I was sure we needed a 2nd line center, but then the offense kicked in. Then the D fell apart. Then the team showed they can play defense against for the last 3 games.  

So I’m really not sure what to do.  I’d like to see a 2nd line RHD pushing Bogo to the 3rd pair.  I’d also wouldn’t mind another center who can win a draw pushing Sobotka to the bench.  That said, I have been hoping Jbot would do something to support this team, but am becoming convinced that his something will be next to nothing at least at the deadline.

It’s funny, but I trust Jbot’s decision making overall. However, I worry that he is to timid at the deadline.  He is very analytical and the deadline seems mor e about feel then analysis.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not this year or probably not next either.  After that we should be in for good times hopefully.  JBot is going to build it slow and steady it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s possible.  I voted yes. The best is yet to come.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Not this year or probably not next either.  After that we should be in for good times hopefully.  JBot is going to build it slow and steady it seems.

I think we will just miss this year but will make it next year for sure (assuming Skinner is signed, we add at least one good FA and one or more "rookies" are added to the lineup, all of which is realistic).

I think next year Boston (how much longer can their older vets hang on?) drops off and Columbus misses, maybe Pittsburgh and Montreal also drop. We will not only make the playoffs, we will finish third and meet the Laughs in round 1. Next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×