Phil Housley's Future as Sabres Head Coach

Kruppstahl

Will Phil Housley Be the Coach When This Team Returns From the Upcoming West Coast Trip?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phil Housley still be the coach when this team returns from the upcoming western road trip?

• Yes, for sure. His leash is much longer than that.
    • No way, he isn't getting it done and Jason Botterill will have to nip this in the bud before another season is lost before Thanksgiving.
    • Maybe. He is in jeopardy of losing his job if the next several games don't go the right way.

I never liked the hire, didn't like the way the team responded to him from day 1 last season... 

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/25237-phil-housley-your-feelings-after-preseason/?tab=comments#comment-981222

...that said, he's only in his second year and he's JBOTs first hire so I don't see JBOT firing Phil at any point this season.

• Like (+1) 2

I no longer think he is the right guy.  I think he is trying, but I think he is struggling to figure out how guys fit into style he wants to play. I like the uptempo style, but I am not sure he gets the limits and talents of the guys he has and how to fit them together.  Like one of those thousand piece puzzles.  Its there but what is the fastest and best strategy to make them all fall together.  Not sure he has a clue. Suggestion start with end pieces, corners and group pieces with similar backgrounds.  Steve Smith I think is a good start putting D pieces together.  Need a better assistant for the forwards though.

This is the 3rd straight season with a West Coast trip in October.  NHL not doing them any favors with this schedule.  At least this season they have the 4 home games before heading West.

In 2016 they did well to get 4 pts in 4 games out west with only one game prior.  Last year a little worse with 3 pts out West in 4 games.

I think they need to get at least 4 pts in these 4 home games and hopefully the same for the 4-game trip which maybe will provide some team bonding (didn't work the last 2 years).  A record of 2-6 or worse through the trip will again be difficult to overcome and should put Housley on thin ice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Good lord.  Another THE SKY IS FALLING thread.

Because it is. If they get blasted by the Rangers Saturday you'll have your answer. All I'm seeing is excuses from posters here. Many years of excuses, 'we lack talent", they haven't gelled yet because too many new faces", "too many young guys haven't caught up to the NHL level yet". There is some decent talent on this squad. It lies in the coach, honestly. People don't want to believe that because "how can a club screw up coaching hires so many times"? This management/ownership group has. Again, we'll all see it soon enough. No excuses against NYR. If they aren't prepared to start that game with a solid effort, it's on the coach. Here's hoping they come out flying!

1 minute ago, eman said:

Because it is. If they get blasted by the Rangers Saturday you'll have your answer. All I'm seeing is excuses from posters here. Many years of excuses, 'we lack talent", they haven't gelled yet because too many new faces", "too many young guys haven't caught up to the NHL level yet". There is some decent talent on this squad. It lies in the coach, honestly. People don't want to believe that because "how can a club screw up coaching hires so many times"? This management/ownership group has. Again, we'll all see it soon enough. No excuses against NYR. If they aren't prepared to start that game with a solid effort, it's on the coach. Here's hoping they come out flying!

Wait, how is "the coach" any less of "an excuse" than any other reason that any poster might have for a loss?

I think posters are all just saying what they think is wrong with the team. They could all be equally viewed as excuses by people who think different things are problems. 

• Like (+1) 1

He isn’t getting fired anytime soon, but his line combos are a disaster.  

While is one of our best offensive drivers, Erod, centering the 4th line?  Why is the new guy on the 3rd line?  Why put the new guy who adds no offense pn a line with your rookie scoring forward? It doesn’t make any sense.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He isn’t getting fired anytime soon, but his line combos are a disaster.  

While is one of our best offensive drivers, Erod, centering the 4th line?  Why is the new guy on the 3rd line?  Why put the new guy who adds no offense pn a line with your rookie scoring forward? It doesn’t make any sense.

Yup. Putting an offensive passenger on a rookie line forces that rookie to drive play more. He's not ready for that and needs help. 

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Young team, patience is needed. I mean a few years of patience. This is a long term project. 

I hate saying that, but it's just true. 

Obviously the Sabres love it when fans buy into this. Occasionally, in the course of franchise, of course it has to be true. But when it's a constant state of "rebuilding," something is very wrong.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Obviously the Sabres love it when fans buy into this. Occasionally, in the course of franchise, of course it has to be true. But when it's a constant state of "rebuilding," something is very wrong.

I know, but when one rebuild fails, what do you do? Start over. I just hope we don't get trigger happy and trade away assests. Jack might never be Crosby, but in a few years he will be one of the top players in the league. Hopefully surrounded by others that are highly talented. That Boston team was older, they were a team with chemistry and talent. That takes time to get there. 

Me and you you are still here. After all these years of losing.  I hope the team leaders just realize that we are probably never leaving. So they need to realize that and just take a long term approach, slowly keep adding talent and hope that adds up to a great team in four or five years. 

The Sabres have not been and are not in a constant state of rebuilding.  It just seems like it.  Really, it has been about 10 years since their last cusp.  And it did not take very long to go from their last final appearance to that cusp with a pretty much brand new team of players.

Edited by N S
easier comprehension for the reader ... maybe ...

He has a very long leash. JBots is going to give him as much leash as he can, without damaging the team. It will be at least Thanksgiving before any move is made. And if it were to happen,  it will have to be extremely obvious to everyone at the time that the move HAD to be made.

I believe JBots has a long leash as well. Like 5 years long, but he can't be burning through coaches in the process. The Pegula's are trying hard to not be churning through GMs and coaches for both the Bills and the Sabres. They need to show they can endure the hardships and support their hires, not cut and run when things don't go as well as they think they should be going. Both leagues are watching and they have little room for error given the past few years with both teams.

Regardless of the result, i think it's a safe bet he will still be coaching when the team arrives from the west coast trip, but tonights game will tell us a lot i think. If they're flat and offense struggles again, i think he'll be a goner much sooner then most think. Otherwise i think somewhere in January or Feb if they remain in poor form.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.