Phil Housley's Future as Sabres Head Coach

Kruppstahl

Will Phil Housley Be the Coach When This Team Returns From the Upcoming West Coast Trip?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phil Housley still be the coach when this team returns from the upcoming western road trip?

• Yes, for sure. His leash is much longer than that.
    • No way, he isn't getting it done and Jason Botterill will have to nip this in the bud before another season is lost before Thanksgiving.
    • Maybe. He is in jeopardy of losing his job if the next several games don't go the right way.

I'm not saying there aren't problems.  I'm not saying there are.  What I am saying is that there are TOO MANY threads talking about them.  Each person thinks their thread is special and insightful, but they're all pretty much the same and don't need to be discussed separately.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m thinking he just bought himself more time with back to back wins - assuming there was some sort of cloud over him after the first game to begin with. 

They need to keep playing like this even against bad teams if he wants to stick around.   

Today it looked like they were ready to play from the drop off the puck, which is unusual, albeit a sight for sore eyes.   

That has to become the norm.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hot seat, such as it is, gets cooler with each win and with each good effort.

...and likewise, the seat get's hotter and hotter which each slow start and lackluster effort.     

The good efforts needs to significantly outnumber the bad efforts.   

• Like (+1) 2

....and I'll add this...  IMO Carter Hutton is having a bigger impact on how this team plays than anything that Housley is doing.     

Hutton's presence alone has appeared to straightened out whatever negativity was plaguing the locker room.... not Housley. 

Just now, nfreeman said:

Why don't we see what happens vs Colorado (who are off to a very strong start btw, and are playing Columbus tonight) on Thursday and then on the roadie before we come to any solid conclusions about anything.

then what are we supposed to argue about in the meantime?

Just now, pi2000 said:

then what are we supposed to argue about in the meantime? 

- Whether KO is as bad as Flagg thinks -- and if so, why he's getting so much ice time.

- Whether ERod should be moved higher in the lineup -- or whether it's better to leave his current line alone, since it's been pretty effective.

- Who the right linemates for Skinner are.

- Whether TT has been effective -- or whether he is squandering his opportunity.

- Whether Beaulieu and/or Nelson can continue to look like respectable 5/6 NHL defensemen -- or whether they will revert to dumpster fire status.

Just now, nfreeman said:

- Whether KO is as bad as Flagg thinks -- and if so, why he's getting so much ice time.

- Whether ERod should be moved higher in the lineup -- or whether it's better to leave his current line alone, since it's been pretty effective.

- Whether TT has been effective -- or whether he is squandering his opportunity.

- Whether Beaulieu and/or Nelson can continue to look like respectable 5/6 NHL defensemen -- or whether they will revert to dumpster fire status.

1 - He looks the same as last season, disappointing.

2 - No, leave him where he is.

3 - Skinner generates his own chances, leave him with Berglund who can cover for him defensively.

4 - He's where he should be.    Shows flashes of skill, just needs to make better decisions with the puck.    Leave him where he is for now, he's close to breaking through offensively IMO.

5 - Limit their ice time, they're not NHL players.     

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

- Even I'm holding off on making any judgments like that for at least another 7-10 games. I would encourage not arguing about whether players are, in a broad brush, good this year or not, and rather arguing about the particular game they've had last night, or something.

- One could argue this would be a good idea, but I'd sooner keep lines 1,4 the same and try to find the right combos in the middle two to get them both running smoothly. 

- That is part of the previous bullet! His current line isn't my favorite combo and Casey and Tage are struggling a bit, so maybe Jeff could help them, or maybe that line gets tanked. 

- Not so much, but yesterday was his best game. I'm kinda sad how similar he looks so far compared to the games I saw in St. Louis last year versus the glimpses we saw in the preseason, but it's not unusual at his age

- I think they'll fall apart sooner or later. The real question is what month Bogosian will be ready to supposedly improve on their play after his 3 games and practices in the last 10000 days 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.