TRADE: Matt Hunwick and Conor Sheary to Buffalo per Friedman

Brawndo

Here's what a Pens fan says:

Little breakdown of Sheary

Pros:
Great speed
Can play both sides , playing on the RW sometimes give him issues clearing the zone but offensively he seems to put up points on either side.
Knows how to play with good players
Good on the cycle for someone his size
Produces at ES, might be some PP upside
While he's not great at any one offensive talent, he's a good enough shooter, playmaker, stickhandler to make things work.

Cons:
Very Streaky, when he gets cold he gets ice cold
His size means he gets bullied in the defensive zone. He backchecks but doesn't bring much else defensively
Prone to brainfarts in the offensive zone, whether that be the wrong decision or over complicating things.
Wont create much on his own, but put him with other talented offensive players and he should produce.

If he's in the top 6 consistently then I definitely think 20 goals 40 points is achievable. Ideally he should be in the top 6, or the 3rd line if your 3rd line isn't tasked with doing heavy lifting defensively.

Sounds like we have a temporary fix for Jack's LW problem. 

If not there, then he probably helps out with ROR & Sam.

Here's what a Pens fan says:

Little breakdown of Sheary

Pros:

Great speed

Can play both sides , playing on the RW sometimes give him issues clearing the zone but offensively he seems to put up points on either side.

Knows how to play with good players

Good on the cycle for someone his size

Produces at ES, might be some PP upside

While he's not great at any one offensive talent, he's a good enough shooter, playmaker, stickhandler to make things work.

Cons:

Very Streaky, when he gets cold he gets ice cold

His size means he gets bullied in the defensive zone. He backchecks but doesn't bring much else defensively

Prone to brainfarts in the offensive zone, whether that be the wrong decision or over complicating things.

Wont create much on his own, but put him with other talented offensive players and he should produce.

If he's in the top 6 consistently then I definitely think 20 goals 40 points is achievable. Ideally he should be in the top 6, or the 3rd line if your 3rd line isn't tasked with doing heavy lifting defensively.

Sounds like we have a temporary fix for Jack's LW problem. 

If not there, then he probably helps out with ROR & Sam.

Sounds like a real NHL LW that can play in a scoring role. We desperately need those.

Keeping everything else the same, he replaces who, Jordan Nolan?

We just upgraded Nolan to Sheary for a 4th, maybe a 3rd. Hunwick is immaterial. 

Good way to look at this.

ES goals, last two seasons combined:

Sheary: 37 in 140 games         .26 ES -GPG

Eichel: 36 in 128 games          .28 ES -GPG

ROR: 20 in 153 games            .13 ES -GPG

Reinhart: 21 in 161 games     .13 ES -GPG

Okposo:  21 in 141 games      .15 ES -GPG

Just for reference.

Cool. Now if they decide to try to stack a 1st & 2nd line (w/ Mittelstadt on LW rather than C after he's got 20-30 more games under his belt) they can actually use 6 top 6 players rather than sliding a Wilson or Girgensons up there.

(Yes, Randy, that includes Okposo as a top 6. :p)

Trade looks like a win-win.  Pens dump some salary to clear out needed cap space and the Sabres add a much-needed quality NHL winger.  As a throw in and as part of the salary dump, the Sabres also got an overpaid veteran D.  He can be the 7th guy who sits in the press box and jumps in when there are injuries.  They have the cap room to absorb the salary.  The Sabres only give up a 4th or 3rd round pick, which, in the NHL, isn't worth that much to begin with.  The percentage of hits in the 3rd and 4th round is pretty low.  I like it.

Edited by msw2112

What if they're not?  Read the Penguins board I linked above.  Hunwick sucks in their opinion, and Sheary is more or less JAG.

The alternative view is that Hunwick had a rough season after injury (thinking Antipin here), and Sheary is a good complementary piece to a high skill scoring line who went through a late slump last season.  Plus Sheary has a motor that doesn't stop, so kind of like a Baptiste who scores.

which means it doesn't matter which teams we acquire players from....that was the point in my response...

ES goals, last two seasons combined:

Sheary: 37 in 140 games

Eichel: 36 in 128 games

ROR: 20 in 153 games

Reinhart: 21 in 161 games

Okposo: 21 in 141 games

TBH, I have a hard time comparing four guys’ numbers from a last placed half-assing it team to one guy from a playoff team. It’s like apples to oranges for me.

It moved

You’re young. Everything makes it move. Give it another 20-25 yrs. It’ll still move, but.....you may be too tired to want it too....you’ll see.

There really was no need for Hunwick, Don't think we have space for him.    Sheary is a nice middle 6 LW.

Its a nice deal, but we'll need to trade some of our LHD, preferably Beaulieu 

He's an improvement just in the standpoint of playing in his own zone over  Boo loo. 

Well, well, well shopping in my neighborhood. 

I really like the first part of the Trade(Sheary).

The 2nd part, meh, they did say they wanted more competition so I can accept it as that.

Although something or should I say someone will have to go before the season opener because right now two many passengers on board the d train.  

Well, well, well shopping in my neighborhood. 

I really like the first part of the Trade(Sheary).

The 2nd part, meh, they did say they wanted more competition so I can accept it as that.

Although something or should I say someone will have to go before the season opener because right now two many passengers on board the d train.  

I doubt we use Hunwick for anything other than competition for the 8D spot, but taking his salary is what helped us get Sheary for only a 4th.

Shrewd move by JB. We took advantage of another team's cap issues and got a pretty nice player for a 3rd or 4th. Plus, both contracts expire in two years so they won't have really any effect in us while we have them.

Between this and the Brandon Hickey pickup, I'm really liking the low risk, high reward approach JB is taking. That said, things could get dicey real quick if ROR is being moved soon.

I doubt we use Hunwick for anything other than competition for the 8D spot, but taking his salary is what helped us get Sheary for only a 4th.

Oh I totally get that.

Living here its known the Pens were in salary cap jail and their farm pipeline is not in great shape either so don't underestimate the value of the 4th or 3rd rd pick to them.   

The Penguins on Wednesday evening used some of their newfound cap space to re-sign forward Riley Sheahan to a $2.1 million, one-year contract.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23925583/buffalo-sabres-acquire-conor-sheary-matt-hunwick-pittsburgh-penguins

I just realized that former Sabres Chad Ruhwedel essentially beat out Hunwick for the 6th spot on the Pitt D for the playoffs.

Yeah.  Ironical, idn't it?

Salary dump for Pens, we give up basically nothing for 2 players who are better than some players we had last year so what's not to like? Hunwick was obviously a guy we had to take for the deal to happen, but he is (while not great) better than Beaulieu, Gorges or even Antipin. Depth player until the kids are ready. 

I'm going to predict that Hunwick is the bigger acquisition here. He was injured last season and I bet he fits in well here and is a solid guy shoring up the lower part of the order. Sheary will be beat out by Baptiste for the spot next to Eichel eventually and Sheary won't take to his role as bottom six.

I'm going to predict that Hunwick is the bigger acquisition here. He was injured last season and I bet he fits in well here and is a solid guy shoring up the lower part of the order. Sheary will be beat out by Baptiste for the spot next to Eichel eventually and Sheary won't take to his role as bottom six.

He's definitely a cap dump throw in, but that doesn't mean he can't be useful.  I hate mentioning this deal for obvious reasons, but just look at David Legwand.  He was nothing special, but he was definitely a useful player in his short time here.  That and wasn't he the one who scored a goal from the bench?  That alone was worth taking on his salary.  Now let's just ignore every other part of that trade, ok?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.