TRADE: Matt Hunwick and Conor Sheary to Buffalo per Friedman

Brawndo

Who exactly is he better than, considering you're also the one with the bizarre amount of Beaulieu love? 

Risto, Scandella, Dahlin, McCabe, Bogosian, Beaulieu, Guhle, Nelson, Pilut, other offseason additions

Hunwick is truly terrible, I'm warning you now!

Listening to the Pittsburgh beat guys, they keep speaking to his "leadership" and "good vet for the room" which translates to them not wanting to speak ill of a player and sounds like a repeat of our Josh Gorges role of the past season.

Hunwick is the boat anchor that got us Sheary for free.

Hunwick's been injured too.

But the fact that he slotted in behind Ruhwedel is worrisome.

Why is it worrisome? He was only acquired as a cap dump to allow us to trade a pick as low as the 4th round for a player with more even strength goals over the last two seasons than any current Sabre. 

He's not supposed to be good, or even play.

Listening to the Pittsburgh beat guys, they keep speaking to his "leadership" and "good vet for the room" which translates to them not wanting to speak ill of a player and sounds like a repeat of our Josh Gorges role of the past season.

Yep.  This.

And what did Pittsburgh do without that anchor? They went and signed a bigger one :lol:

Hunwick's been injured too.

But the fact that he slotted in behind Ruhwedel is worrisome.

Hunwick also has two seasons under his belt where he spent the majority of his time in the AHL.  Bogosian has a whole 5 AHL games to his record.  Hunwick has never been projected to be anything beyond a bottom pair blueliner, so of course his games played are going to be lower than most.  I'd say if we're lucky, these two combined will account for 82 games played.

Who exactly is he better than, considering you're also the one with the bizarre amount of Beaulieu love? 

Risto, Scandella, Dahlin, McCabe, Bogosian, Beaulieu, Guhle, Nelson, Pilut, other offseason additions

Hunwick is truly terrible, I'm warning you now!

When Bogo gets hurt, I think Hunwick gets the call.

But this is the guy who got beat out by Reuwedal so, maybe not...

Darren Dreger Retweeted Darren Dreger

Condition on draft pick. If Sheary scores 20 goals or 40 pts or Buf trades Hunwick before the '19 draft, it flips to a 3rd round pick.

Are we sure about the trading Hunwick piece?  It just doesn't make any sense... why would PIT care if BUF trades Hunwick before the '19 draft?   

Is that stipulation even allowed in the CBA?  It seems unfair.   

Life isn't fair.

It's a contract.  Associated with the contract are terms and conditions.  Pittsburgh proposed those Ts & Cs and Buffalo accepted them.  Who knows why that one was included?

It was included because the lower price (4th round pick) is predicated upon the notion that Buffalo won't be able to rid itself of the Hunwick cap hit.  

Nothing unfair about it at all, IMO.

It was included because the lower price (4th round pick) is predicated upon the notion that Buffalo won't be able to rid itself of the Hunwick cap hit.

Nothing unfair about it at all, IMO.

Why would PIT care if BUF is saddled with the contract for 1 year vs another team?

The only thing I can think of is they did it as a favor to Hunwick maybe to keep closer to his family in PIT?

Why would PIT care if BUF is saddled with the contract for 1 year vs another team?

The only thing I can think of is they did it as a favor to Hunwick maybe to keep closer to his family in PIT?

Think of it as PIT giving BUF a discount because BUF asked for it, in the event that BUF can't move Hunwick.  Make sense from that perspective?

That was my thought.  If he has a family in Pittsburgh and they want to stay there, there aren't too many NHL cities as close to Pitt as Buffalo is (Columbus, DC, Philly are roughly the same as Buffalo, distance-wise from Pitt).

Think of it as PIT giving BUF a discount because BUF asked for it, in the event that BUF can't move Hunwick.  Make sense from that perspective?

Yep. And it's reasonable for Buffalo & the Pens to believe shaving a year of wasted actual $'s is worth a bump from the 4th to the 3rd even for a deep pocketed owner like the Pegulas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.