Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Those guys are obviously good, but they aren’t exactly defensively focused though, no?

i haven’t looked at the breakdowns, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t picture him seeing much of Bergeron or Barkov, or Point, or O’Reilly, or Kadri, or the top D pairings. Those guys were all out against Johnny.

I may be selling Barzal short, because I strongly didn’t like him as an extremely selfish junior, and - as True will tell you - I tend to carry that baggage a while. ?

I didn’t see many complete games from him and he certainly looked good on the highlights.

The top 3 forwards he faced from Boston by the same metric are Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak
The center he matched up against by Florida is by far Trocheck, their 75 point checking line center (slightly more offensive zone starts than Barkov, but tougher opponents faced) (Tavares did get Barkov, so he'll have a slightly tougher time there, sure) 
Tampa was Stamkos-Namestnikov-Kucherov, so while he may have a tougher time defensively with Point, I'm not sure that even I can call that an upgrade in competition
Toronto was the Matthews line, he avoided Kadri so that might hurt
Buffalo was bizarre - half was ROR, and half was a conglomeration of trash
Like already mentioned, he faced Washington's top two centers basically equally, the edge to the defensive guru Backstrom

Anywho, with all this in mind, I don't see his minutes getting substantially tougher. He may regress on his own merit, but I don't think Tavares will have much to do with it tangibly, having to be "the guy" could get into his head though. 

The thing that pissed me off about Jack is that, based on where he is and what his skill set is, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect Jack to get out against Deslauriers all night, but I'd at least like to see Hoffmann, a top 6 winger that is bad defensively, in his top 5 forwards like he is for Matthews and Nylander and Kucherov, guys who obviously get used in an offensively-maximized role appropriately with developmental defensive minutes sprinkled in for the Leaf kid. Instead, even though he's not even in our division, there is no forward in the NHL Jack played more minutes against than...Sidney Crosby, and the Couturier-Giroux pairing came in next. Trocheck-Huberdeau, Tavares, rando Nick Foligno, Kadri. Bergeron-Pasta-Marchand by far in Boston. 

I get wanting Jack to be your franchise C, but when your team can't score, you should try to help your primary scoring weapon rather than never giving him a freaking break. Give him some Dadonov-Bjugstad, Moore-Martin, Filppula-Cousins or even just Hoffman-Duchene. Like, for one shift maybe, Phil.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If you're looking for where the Kings fall off $, it's goaltending. Also, I don't think it's a given they just replace Neal and Perron's production internally. Stastny was a nice get, but he doesn't do it alone. I also think their blue line as a whole probably played above their talent level. I don't think they tank it, but I think they're more of a bubble team than top seed. 

I've been firmly on the "Give Reinhart a bridge" train...but if we could lock him up for sub-5 I do it without hesitation.

Really think the likelihood of him significantly exceeding the value of a sub $5MM/yr contract is too great for him to be anything but disgrunted come years 4-6.  Give him $5.5MM/yr for 6 & the contract will look very good towards the end & he can get a bigger deal after it.  (Really could see giving him less than 1/2 what his buddy makes could cause some chafing.  IMHO.)

If he does bust (which would be a real surprise IMHO) the difference between dumping / selling a $5.5/6 or a $4.5/6 won't be enough to significantly change what it takes to get it off the books.

I can’t see Reinhart busting. He’s 22 and has never scored less than 17 goals, or 42 points.

If he averages what he has his first three years over the next five years, he is worth $5 million per in today’s market.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really think the likelihood of him significantly exceeding the value of a sub $5MM/yr contract is too great for him to be anything but disgrunted come years 4-6.  Give him $5.5MM/yr for 6 & the contract will look very good towards the end & he can get a bigger deal after it.  (Really could see giving him less than 1/2 what his buddy makes could cause some chafing.  IMHO.)

If he does bust (which would be a real surprise IMHO) the difference between dumping / selling a $5.5/6 or a $4.5/6 won't be enough to significantly change what it takes to get it off the books.

I can’t get behind paying a guy extra just because you’re afraid he’ll get upset if he outperforms the deal. If you can get him at the lower number you do it. If he really gets pissed off then you’ve got a pissed off bargain or a hell of a trade chip.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can’t see Reinhart busting. He’s 22 and has never scored less than 17 goals, or 42 points.

If he averages what he has his first three years over the next five years, he is worth $5 million per in today’s market.

If he can give you 12ppg and 13 even strength goals every year, I would take that for 5mil per. I expect his assists to go way up when he plays on a team that doesn't shoot 2% below league average. 

It happened earlier in the week, but I just saw the story now.  David Quinn hired former rival BC's associate head coach, Greg Brown (former Sabres draft pick), to the Rags coaching staff.  It's a nice parting shot to your top rival.  Try to picture coach K agreeing to coach in the NBA and then hiring who was potentially supposed to be the next head coach of UNC, even though they've never worked together.  That should make for some interesting banter between the two schools.

Crap, I just used a bouncyball analogy.

Interesting Craig Custance article in the Athletic that probes the reasons that offer sheets aren't being used.  Basically, nine GMs asked think that offering teams would have to way overpay to pry a player out, otherwise the home team would be foolish not to match, because it's thought that the draft compensation is too low (ie only a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a $8M/year star player).

Another detail in that article was really interesting.  Back when O'Reilly was on the Avs and his RFA contract negotiation stalled, he received TWO offer sheets.  The Flames were one, which is the one he signed.  Famously, Flames GM Jay Feaster would get absolutely ROASTED by the hockey sphere because it turned out that if the Avs didn't match the offer ($5M/yr x 2 yrs), O'Reilly would have had to clear waivers to play anywhere else (because of a rule regarding playing in Europe after the NHL season had started).

But according to Pat Morris, O'Reilly's agent, another team made the same mistake that same day.  Morris told Custance, "You'll never know the other team."

I wonder which GM was interested enough in O'Reilly and had enough cap space and draft capital to try to do it...

For NYI, the guy I feel worst for is Bailey who signed his extension with the notion he'd hopefully be playing with JT91 for the foreseeable future.  However, he signed and now will likely slot in with Anders Lee with Barzal.  

1 minute ago, TheCerebral1 said:

For NYI, the guy I feel worst for is Bailey who signed his extension with the notion he'd hopefully be playing with JT91 for the foreseeable future.  However, he signed and now will likely slot in with Anders Lee with Barzal.  

I don’t feel bad at all. He’s getting overpaid at $5 mill for the next five seasons and still has two very good (maybe elite in Barzal) linemates.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Matt Dumba signs a Five Year Extension with the Wild at 6 Million AAV 

6 million a year for a 50 point RH defenseman? Sounds like a good deal for the Wild.

Sign and trade? ?

It looks like the base color is black as opposed to eggplant purple, why? Should have just kept the purple. And the shoulder patch logos look out of place.

Still like the jersey overall, primarily due to the nostalgia factor. Could have been a little better though.