Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

On 7/25/2018 at 4:39 PM, Hoss said:

That was two years ago. He didn’t play hockey this season.

I forgot about that. Thought he went from Calgary to Boston at the deadline then signed with the Avs for last season. Then I saw yesterday that it was Pittsburgh who got him at the deadline, then Boston, then Colorado. Then I seemed to recall no one signing him last year and he had worked out for the Olympic team because he wasnt in the NHL?

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Did I really just read that Tom #### Wilson just scored a six-year $31 million contract?

The same Tom #### Wilson who has scored 35 career goals?

I like that contract for Washington. I don't think you understand how hard it is to find someone who can score 35 points skating almost exclusively with Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Kuznetsov. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Did I really just read that Tom #### Wilson just scored a six-year $31 million contract?

The same Tom #### Wilson who has scored 35 career goals?

Just this week my eldest daughter is studying for the GRE's and was complaining to me about the vocabulary section. She said "Did you know that the word 'albatross' is not just a bird?"

I know that Washington Capitals fans will know the secondary meaning of that word in 2-3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sakman said:

Just this week my eldest daughter is studying for the GRE's and was complaining to me about the vocabulary section. She said "Did you know that the word 'albatross' is not just a bird?"

I know that Washington Capitals fans will know the secondary meaning of that word in 2-3 years. 

He now makes more than the average first-line winger:  

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yep, the Capitals are realllllly stupid. They should be smarter, like Terry and his braintrust.

I'll bet there was someone on a Caps fan board somewhere who was just as harsh on non-hockey-guy Ted Leonsis for the last two decades who is silent now.

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Wilson was everyone’s darling during the playoffs.  He spent most of the season on the 3rd line IIRC, but spent time with Ovie in the playoffs and everyone raved about him.  Those here that didn’t complain about his questionable hits wanted him or a guy just like him on our team.

Now he’s just another 3rd liner.

Tom Wilson is worth what he is.   He deserves to be paid fairly.   

The Capitals value him more than what we see on the ice, which they have every right to do.   

Value contract?  No.

Bad contract?  Maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Tom Wilson was everyone’s darling during the playoffs.  He spent most of the season on the 3rd line IIRC, but spent time with Ovie in the playoffs and everyone raved about him.  Those here that didn’t complain about his questionable hits wanted him or a guy just like him on our team.

Liking tbing sthat someone does it not complaining about things they do doesn’t mean people want to pay him over $5 mill a year.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I'll bet there was someone on a Caps fan board somewhere who was just as harsh on non-hockey-guy Ted Leonsis for the last two decades who is silent now.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Had never heard of the Pens Wilson.  Was REALLY happy when the Sabres picked him up from Detroit, 'cause thought he was the Caps Wilson.

Those are the guys you need in the trenches.

Loved Varada.

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Had never heard of the Pens Wilson.  Was REALLY happy when the Sabres picked him up from Detroit, 'cause thought he was the Caps Wilson.

Those are the guys you need in the trenches.

Loved Varada.

I loved Varada too, but there's a limit to what I'd pay him.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Sakman said:

It's also a happy term  word in golf and a scary one as a sailor.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Smart teams do stupid things all the time. 

Are they viewed as the smart team now?  They massively underachieved for over a decade and now finally broke through.  I need to see more consistency from them before I hand them that label.  Then again, I guess I did just describe consistency with a one year aberration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Are they viewed as the smart team now?  They massively underachieved for over a decade and now finally broke through.  I need to see more consistency from them before I hand them that label.  Then again, I guess I did just describe consistency with a one year aberration.

Perfectly stated.  Took 'em 16 years with the best goal-scorer we've seen in decades just to get out of the second round.  But they're geniuses now!  They're the model!  Fire Terry and Kim!

On 7/29/2018 at 6:47 PM, pi2000 said:

Tom Wilson is worth what he is.   He deserves to be paid fairly.   

The Capitals value him more than what we see on the ice, which they have every right to do.   

Value contract?  No.

Bad contract?  Maybe.

I think it is a bad contract. His sh% for last year is 4% higher than his average. He got the most playing time of his life which explains his points last year. He got hot during the playoffs which he hadn't really done before. Outlier following an outlier following an outlier, not what you want to pay a guy on. 

Wilson’s young enough for that to be a breakout year as opposed to an outlier. He’s also a useful player and among the best in the league at what he does. And they bought 4 UFA years before he turns 30.

Doesnt change the fact that they will be likely be paying him top six or even first-line money to put up 25 to 30 points a year.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think it is a bad contract. His sh% for last year is 4% higher than his average. He got the most playing time of his life which explains his points last year. He got hot during the playoffs which he hadn't really done before. Outlier following an outlier following an outlier, not what you want to pay a guy on. 

I would like to know what the average (standard?) deviation for a player's shooting percentage is from year to year. I would assume somewhere less than 2%

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I would like to know what the average (standard?) deviation for a player's shooting percentage is from year to year. I would assume somewhere less than 2%

Wilson's is roughly 2.401 for a standard deviation. So 5.2 - 10.0 falls within 1 standard deviation of his average. 11.4% falls well outside that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you think you know more and better than the Washington GM? Others can answer too. It kind of boils down to that. Oddly, our own GMs get the benefit of the doubt almost every time.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Do you think you know more and better than the Washington GM? Others can answer too. It kind of boils down to that. Oddly, our own GMs get the benefit of the doubt almost every time.

I always hate this response. "That person is paid millions, they must know what they're doing!" For someone who continuously questions authoritative figures, it amazes me that you hold this stance PA