Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

If I never see them in the goatheads again, it will be too soon.

That was my favorite Buffalo sports team of all time so there is no way I could hate on that one.....and that's coming from someone who has been banging the royal blue drum forever.

Caps sign Orpik, 1 year, 1 million.  https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-sign-brooks-orpik/c-299573574

Article on the front page proposed that the Sabres should have signed him for 3M or less, also for one year.  Of course, with the Caps, he gets the opportunity for another Cup, but I do wonder whether Botterill kicked the tires on him.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Caps sign Orpik, 1 year, 1 million.  https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-sign-brooks-orpik/c-299573574

Article on the front page proposed that the Sabres should have signed him for 3M or less, also for one year.  Of course, with the Caps, he gets the opportunity for another Cup, but I do wonder whether Botterill kicked the tires on him.

Happy Post Number 31,000 to you ...

I think he would have been a good mentor to our young Dmen.  And a good one to have in our back pocket for when Bogo eventually gets hurt.

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Such a money grab these days....   Constant tinkering and adjustments.   It's not like ownership doesn't know what the fans want.     They do something every year to get folks to buy new merchandise....  Eichel switching to #9 the latest greedy move by the organization.

These days? From '70-'96 the sabres changed their uniforms 7 times.

10 hours ago, N S said:

Happy Post Number 31,000 to you ...

I think he would have been a good mentor to our young Dmen.  And a good one to have in our back pocket for when Bogo eventually gets hurt.

Nah, its time for the kids to get playing time, don't need Orpik to get in the way of that.    We got 10 D better than him.

Edited by Huckleberry

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Brock Nelson, 1 year, $4.25 million after a 35 point season.

This is a top-six wing in today’s NHL?

$4.25 million isn’t “too-six” money anymore. Nelson is a really versatile guy who can get physical and play some D. He’s worth that.

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

Probably not, doesnt seem to fit the current mold. Not Sweedish and not in his 20s....

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's about time.  I didn't realize he was still playing.

Was he playing in Colorado last year?

Between Linden and Benning it took them 3 or 4 years to decide if they were tanking , rebuilding/fast re-tooling , or a good team ( delusional ) and in the meantime they let a Sedin trade slip through their fingers and lost the haul they would have reaped had they traded them when they should have. Linden has been a bust beloved son or not.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Between Linden and Benning it took them 3 or 4 years to decide if they were tanking , rebuilding/fast re-tooling , or a good team ( delusional ) and in the meantime they let a Sedin trade slip through their fingers and lost the haul they would have reaped had they traded them when they should have. Linden has been a bust beloved son or not.

Yup. It's almost like having been "in the game" means zilch for ability as an executive. 

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yup. It's almost like having been "in the game" means zilch for ability as an executive. 

Having been a star is nearly always a bad thing when it comes to front office &/or coaching abilities.  Yzerman being the exception that proves the rule.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Having been a star is nearly always a bad thing when it comes to front office &/or coaching abilities.  Yzerman being the exception that proves the rule.

While not necessarily being stars other former players have done alright in GM and / or coaching roles.

What's his name in Chicago.  And what's his name in Florida, well kind of.

14 minutes ago, N S said:

While not necessarily being stars other former players have done alright in GM and / or coaching roles.

What's his name in Chicago.  And what's his name in Florida, well kind of.

Many former players, particularly grinders/journeymen, have very good post-playing careers in management roles.  Our own Lindy Ruff being a prime example.

Linden was a star (at least he was considered one in Vancouver).  Not surprised he didn't do much in the front office.

15 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Some of the stuff I've been reading indicates he wanted a longer developmental approach while ownership wants to speed up the process.

If that's the case, ownership  is in for a big disappointment. That team is going to be in the gutter for a long time.