Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

2 hours ago, shrader said:

But Matthews still has very little reason to sign that deal.  Passing on 3-4 years of guaranteed money is a huge gamble.  On top of that, he has a whole other world of potential money to be made in Toronto compared to what would be available on Long Island.  This is one huge part of offer sheets that it feels like people tend to overlook each year, the player has to actually agree to it as well.

You're right but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Especially if Toronto wants to cap him at $11 million AAV to match Tavares and Lou decides to pay him more than McDavid's $12.5 million. If he prefers a longer deal, Lou could still offer him up to 7 years. Either way, not a bad way to exact some revenge if Lou is still feeling bitter and Matthews makes it to RFA status.

Edited by Alkoholist

15 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

You're right but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Especially if Toronto wants to cap him at $11 million AAV to match Tavares and Lou decides to pay him more than McDavid's $12.5 million. If he prefers a longer deal, Lou could still offer him up to 7 years. Either way, not a bad way to exact some revenge if Lou is still feeling bitter and Matthews makes it to RFA status.

If Lou decides to pay him more than a player who won a Hart Trophy in his second season and is already the best player in his league than Lou is an idiot.

42 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If Lou decides to pay him more than a player who won a Hart Trophy in his second season and is already the best player in his league than Lou is an idiot.

Have you seen the players Lou is signing long term? I don't think overpaying Matthews would signal anything we don't already know. 

Edit: Put a little differently, overpaying Matthews would be a lot smarter than some things he's already done on Long Island. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The cap continues to rise though. Eventually someone will make more than McDavid. If he thinks Toronto will match it no matter what it may not even matter. From the reports he's not even necessarily expecting to get Matthews, maybe he just wants to screw over his old team for signing Tavares.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

It's tough to gauge exactly what the difference would be given that it's 5 years down the road, but how much extra would he really stand to add on for those 3-4 years, $3 million or so?  Risking $30-$40 million for the chance of adding on an additional $9-$12 million, so maybe an additional 30%, I'm not so sure it's worth it.  But then again, we're talking about numbers that have a few extra zeros compared to what I'm used to, so it's very tough to relate.  Up to this point, can we name any top level players who have opted for the bridge contract when facing this situation?  We can point to plenty who played out the one year gamble, but not many multi-year gambles come to mind.

As for the markets, remember, we're talking about hockey in Toronto vs. playing for the red-headed stepchild team for the red-headed stepchild sport* in the red-headed stepchild portion of the New York market.  I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Toronto would have far more money options available it this specific moment.

*Are they even the second biggest hockey draw for that market?

Not now but once they get their new stadium... next to Belmont with direct train routes may out do Strangers.  Isles have a very loyal following and their AHL affiliate is in Bridgeport and easy trainnride to Belmont. 

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Cap floor here we (almost) come!!!!

Seriously, that's enough, Arizona.

It's not about the cap floor. They've already got that covered. This is about them getting assets. For the record, I think they did a poor job of doing that. I have zero interest in any of what they acquired.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It's not about the cap floor. They've already got that covered. This is about them getting assets. For the record, I think they did a poor job of doing that. I have zero interest in any of what they acquired.

I've thought this for awhile, but I think Chayka is in over his head. Reminds me a lot of Murray/Doug Whaley. I'm very interested to see if Dubas pans out the same way

Edited by WildCard

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I've thought this for awhile, but I think Chayka is in over his head. Reminds me a lot of Murray/Doug Whaley. I'm very interested to see if Dubas pans out the same way

Yea, I'm not high on Chayka and haven't been since he started actually doing things. He got way less than he should've for taking on Datsyuk and now this. Datsyuk works out because he got Chychrun from the deal which has been a good pick.

Maybe he's good at drafting but nothing else.

18 minutes ago, dewookieen said:

Arizona got a couple good young players for taking Hossa’s contract. Looks like a lot but really isnt

Hinastroza is a stud.   Have you seen him play?

CHI unloads Hossa's contract.....  too bad JBOT isn't creative enough to unload bad contracts.

Just now, pi2000 said:

Hinastroza is a stud.   Have you seen him play?

CHI unloads Hossa's contract.....  too bad JBOT isn't creative enough to unload bad contracts.

If it cost us unloading a prospect equal to Hinostroza to get rid of Okposo's contract, which in all honesty is really the only worrisome one, then I wouldn't want to do that deal anyways

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yea, I'm not high on Chayka and haven't been since he started actually doing things. He got way less than he should've for taking on Datsyuk and now this. Datsyuk works out because he got Chychrun from the deal which has been a good pick.

Maybe he's good at drafting but nothing else.

Didn't he get Galchenyuk for Domi?

I guess he's not as bad as Bergeron.. but he's still bad?

I'm higher on him than both of you apparently.  I think Coyotes are going to be a good team.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Didn't he get Galchenyuk for Domi?

I guess he's not as bad as Bergeron.. but he's still bad?

I'm higher on him than both of you apparently.  I think Coyotes are going to be a good team.

He added Hjalmersson, and Goligoski, which I liked. Drafting Keller and Chyrchun were good moves, and so was getting rid of Domi. He's also been decently patient with Strome too. 

I don't know, it just seems anytime the Coyotes make a move, they're looking only at the numbers, and not at building a team. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Hmmmmmm. I could be out to lunch but I remember thinking they needed to add a ton of money at the end of last season to hit the floor perhaps they had a bunch of RFA's I dunno.  They have indeed well hit the floor.  Of course, almost $11 million of that is now Hossa and Bolland...

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

To get this straight too, the Coyotes got a better prospect for taking on a cap dump than the Sabres did for a top 30 center in the league...

Hinostroza is a 24-year-old sixth round pick who has yet to make an impact in the NHL. Stop it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Hinostroza is a 24-year-old sixth round pick who has yet to make an impact in the NHL. Stop it.

Well he scored 25 pts in 50 games last year so yeah I'd say he made an impact

He also scored 51 pts in 66gp last year, and 7pts in 15 gp this year in the AHL.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He's not nothing either, like you suggested upthread, though. 40 point pace in the NHL, PPG in AHL at 24 is a better depth piece than plenty which will see the ice for us this year.