Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Rumor has it Lou may put an offer in for one of Toronto’s RFA’s.  Was on the radio this am with the Fan according to one of our docs.  He wasn’t sure who but said Lou still pissed at Toronto over Tavares.

the only guy is nylander and I don't think the Islanders have enough pics to offer sheet him

On 7/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

Non-bonus money gets paid by game, so the players pay the state income tax in the state that they play the game, regardless of which team they play for. So really, playing in a tax-free state impacts 41 games plus bonuses, not the entire contract value. Plus, that's not counting escrow in a given year and how much that impacts take home pay. And, of course, we all know that nearly  nobody pays the top percentage because of deductions. 

As far as I can tell, all the Fourth Period did was compare state/Provincial tax and shave it off total contract value. So they put out a totally inaccurate number which exaggerates the differences. 

Exaggerate, yes, but isn't the difference still measured in millions? That's what they were saying on TSN, and it does seem a distinct advantage. 

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Rumor has it Lou may put an offer in for one of Toronto’s RFA’s.  Was on the radio this am with the Fan according to one of our docs.  He wasn’t sure who but said Lou still pissed at Toronto over Tavares.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

the only guy is nylander and I don't think the Islanders have enough pics to offer sheet him

The original rumor was Lou was planning the offer sheet for NEXT season.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Exaggerate, yes, but isn't the difference still measured in millions? That's what they were saying on TSN, and it does seem a distinct advantage. 

It's an advantage, sure. But it's also worth considering non-contract income. Tavares will almost certainly take in more in endorsements playing in Toronto than he would playing in Tampa. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe Lou offer sheets Matthews next year.

He'll get signed to an extension this offseason, and I don't imagine there's any offer sheet that wouldn't just be in the range he'll get in Toronto anyways.

The Isles cannot offer sheet anyone this offseason without going way too low or cripplingly high (for themselves). They could next offseason, but the Leafs will have extensions done by then.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He'll get signed to an extension this offseason, and I don't imagine there's any offer sheet that wouldn't just be in the range he'll get in Toronto anyways.

The Isles cannot offer sheet anyone this offseason without going way too low or cripplingly high (for themselves). They could next offseason, but the Leafs will have extensions done by then.

Yeah, there is a minuscule chance he isn't extended. But as Jim Carey said " so there is a chance".

If Matthews pouts about not getting the C he could get to RFA status. He's different, went to Switzerlnd in his draft year.

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe Lou offer sheets Matthews next year.

They’re already going to unload the brinks truck in Matthews’ front yard. It’s a waste of time both for the player and for any team to even bother with negotiations. You’re not going to land him and you’re not going to alter the cap hit in any realistic way. 

11 hours ago, shrader said:

They’re already going to unload the brinks truck in Matthews’ front yard. It’s a waste of time both for the player and for any team to even bother with negotiations. You’re not going to land him and you’re not going to alter the cap hit in any realistic way. 

Still, if Matthews gets to RFA status and Lou is still pissed he can still screw Toronto by offering him a 4 year deal at huge money. If he signs, Toronto only has the option to match it or take the compensation and that would put Matthews into UFA status at 25 years of age.

1 minute ago, Alkoholist said:

Still, if Matthews gets to RFA status and Lou is still pissed he can still screw Toronto by offering him a 4 year deal at huge money. If he signs, Toronto only has the option to match it or take the compensation and that would put Matthews into UFA status at 25 years of age.

But Matthews still has very little reason to sign that deal.  Passing on 3-4 years of guaranteed money is a huge gamble.  On top of that, he has a whole other world of potential money to be made in Toronto compared to what would be available on Long Island.  This is one huge part of offer sheets that it feels like people tend to overlook each year, the player has to actually agree to it as well.

Just now, Falstaff said:

This is true, but if you are truly trying to maximize your earnings potential you need to take some risks.  Hitting UFA as a 25 year old has the potential to be huge.  I also like how we are talking about the lesser side dollars available in the NYC market compared to Toronto.  NYC, the small market that it is.

It's tough to gauge exactly what the difference would be given that it's 5 years down the road, but how much extra would he really stand to add on for those 3-4 years, $3 million or so?  Risking $30-$40 million for the chance of adding on an additional $9-$12 million, so maybe an additional 30%, I'm not so sure it's worth it.  But then again, we're talking about numbers that have a few extra zeros compared to what I'm used to, so it's very tough to relate.  Up to this point, can we name any top level players who have opted for the bridge contract when facing this situation?  We can point to plenty who played out the one year gamble, but not many multi-year gambles come to mind.

As for the markets, remember, we're talking about hockey in Toronto vs. playing for the red-headed stepchild team for the red-headed stepchild sport* in the red-headed stepchild portion of the New York market.  I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Toronto would have far more money options available it this specific moment.

*Are they even the second biggest hockey draw for that market?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Devils

Nassau County has a way more passionate hockey fan-base than Newark

I've been on the Long Island RR before Islander games. They love hockey on the Island

The Devils would definitely deserve the "red-headed stepchild" designation

Edited by erickompositör72

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's tough to gauge exactly what the difference would be given that it's 5 years down the road, but how much extra would he really stand to add on for those 3-4 years, $3 million or so?  Risking $30-$40 million for the chance of adding on an additional $9-$12 million, so maybe an additional 30%, I'm not so sure it's worth it.  But then again, we're talking about numbers that have a few extra zeros compared to what I'm used to, so it's very tough to relate.  Up to this point, can we name any top level players who have opted for the bridge contract when facing this situation?  We can point to plenty who played out the one year gamble, but not many multi-year gambles come to mind.

As for the markets, remember, we're talking about hockey in Toronto vs. playing for the red-headed stepchild team for the red-headed stepchild sport* in the red-headed stepchild portion of the New York market.  I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Toronto would have far more money options available it this specific moment.

*Are they even the second biggest hockey draw for that market?

This in a nutshell is why the Island lost JT to The Great Satan.  The fact that JT is from there helped a bit.