Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Folks have been anticipating the demise of the Knights since their first win last season, myself included. 

I think they'll be good again next season.

I think they'll be competitive, but I don't think they're a lock for the playoffs. I wouldn't have a hard time leaving them out in current projections.

Apparently Bobby Hull is a probable racist and woman abuser? This is just one article I read, but man some of the stories out there about him...Bobby Hull seems like a real piece of scum; there are a few other ex-NHLer's with this kind of past too that I was not aware of

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2018/5/13/17349058/the-nhl-needs-to-stop-celebrating-bobby-hull-winnipeg-jets-chicago-blackhawks-domestic-violence

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Apparently Bobby Hull is a probable racist and woman abuser? This is just one article I read, but man some of the stories out there about him...Bobby Hull seems like a real piece of scum; there are a few other ex-NHLer's with this kind of past too that I was not aware of

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2018/5/13/17349058/the-nhl-needs-to-stop-celebrating-bobby-hull-winnipeg-jets-chicago-blackhawks-domestic-violence

Geez. I had no idea. I looked at the comments to see if there was anybody supporting the claims or refuting them. Several say that there’s an extensive record of his abuse in Winnipeg, but then a few Hull supporters started going on some pro-Hitler rants and boy does it not make him look any better.

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think we had a discussion here about this recently. Yeah, he's a scumbag. 

There was definitely a thread about Bobby Hull a little while back. 

The Knights as a team had pretty sustainable underlying numbers, so I don't think there's too much advanced-and not-advanced evidence out there that they're going to fall back hard,. Karlsson won't shoot 23% again but the rest of their team outside of him and maybe Haula were at sustainable percentages, and any given team can have a couple players shooting above average any given year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Knights as a team had pretty sustainable underlying numbers, so I don't think there's too much advanced-and not-advanced evidence out there that they're going to fall back hard,. Karlsson won't shoot 23% again but the rest of their team outside of him and maybe Haula were at sustainable percentages, and any given team can have a couple players shooting above average any given year. 

I had learned of it a couple of months ago and started this thread in which there were some informative responses:  

Edited by Eleven

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Oof, my mistake. Must not have ever read that thread, I don't remember it

No mistake. Might be lots of people who weren't aware of it, who are now.  The more this scumbag's activities are made known, the better. I never want to see him on an NHL broadcast again.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No mistake. Might be lots of people who weren't aware of it, who are now.  The more this scumbag's activities are made known, the better. I never want to see him on an NHL broadcast again.

"[Bobby's Wife] I looked the worst after that Hawaii incident. I took a real beating there. [Bobby] just picked me up, threw me over his shoulder, threw me in the room, and just proceeded to knock the heck out of me. He took my shoe -- with a steel heel -- and proceeded to hit me in the head. I was covered with blood. And I can remember him holding me over the balcony and I thought this is the end, I'm going.”

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/1/2/14147236/bobby-hull-blackhawks-ambassador-domestic-abuse-hitler-winter-classic-2017

I mean, Jesus Christ

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He shot at roughly 3 times his career average. Fleury's sv% was at its highest point in his entire career. There's going to be a correction. Do I think Fleury will suddenly drop like a stone, no. DO I think Karlsson will drop probably 7-10%, yes but he will still put up good numbers. They lost a couple guys which is normal. I think they will make the playoffs but I don't think they are a cup final team. 

Barzal with some fun handles... 

Isles are in good hands with him. Still can’t believe the Bruins passed on him three times. I was screaming his whole draft year that he was the number three guy in the class behind Eichel and McDavid. 

If we could get Reinhart on anything close to that Lindholm deal, I would be thrilled.

i still think the Douin deal of last summer 6/$5.5 is the best comparable.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He shot at roughly 3 times his career average. Fleury's sv% was at its highest point in his entire career. There's going to be a correction. Do I think Fleury will suddenly drop like a stone, no. DO I think Karlsson will drop probably 7-10%, yes but he will still put up good numbers. They lost a couple guys which is normal. I think they will make the playoffs but I don't think they are a cup final team. 

I agree that guys performing above average will come down, but there are also guys that will get better, like any NHL team. Their save percentage as a whole team was basically bang on league average, as was their shooting percentage, and their underlying metrics suggest no overall team-wide regression is coming. Unlike, say, Ottawa suggested just before this past season, or Colorado suggests for next year.

I'm almost positive that any good team has players vastly outperforming career paces any given year, but they have a bedrock underneath that lets them compete the following year when players x and y come back to earth, to some degree, and I think that's the case with Vegas - and I agree with your point, Liger, I see a playoff team that won't make the finals, may win a series, but might not even do that.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Barzal with some fun handles... 

Isles are in good hands with him. Still can’t believe the Bruins passed on him three times. I was screaming his whole draft year that he was the number three guy in the class behind Eichel and McDavid. 

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think he was better than Tavares last year and will be better for the Islanders going forward than Tavares was. 

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If you're looking for where the Kings fall off, it's goaltending. Also, I don't think it's a given they just replace Neal and Perron's production internally. Stastny was a nice get, but he doesn't do it alone. I also think their blue line as a whole probably played above their talent level. I don't think they tank it, but I think they're more of a bubble team than top seed. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

If we could get Reinhart on anything close to that Lindholm deal, I would be thrilled.

i still think the Douin deal of last summer 6/$5.5 is the best comparable.

I've been firmly on the "Give Reinhart a bridge" train...but if we could lock him up for sub-5 I do it without hesitation. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think he was better than Tavares last year and will be better for the Islanders going forward than Tavares was. 

It'll be interesting to see how he performs with his line being the only one opposing teams have to care about. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If you're looking for where the Kings fall off, it's goaltending. Also, I don't think it's a given they just replace Neal and Perron's production internally. Stastny was a nice get, but he doesn't do it alone. I also think their blue line as a whole probably played above their talent level. I don't think they tank it, but I think they're more of a bubble team than top seed. 

I've been firmly on the "Give Reinhart a bridge" train...but if we could lock him up for sub-5 I do it without hesitation. 

Their team save percentage was .913, no? Flower's 33, not 38, and has only posted below that once since 09-10. He might not be as good but it's also unlikely their backup role produces as poorly as it did. That team percentage on a whole is one thousandth better than league average. 

The forward production is a valid point, I wonder if Glass is ready. I could also see Tuch rocketing forward with an increased role. 

I'm pretty much with you though overall. I think they're in a weak conference and am slightly more confident in you that they'll make the playoffs but would hold off on betting anything more than that.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It'll be interesting to see how he performs with his line being the only one opposing teams have to care about. 

True, but in my experience, stars are stars. They figure it out.

I said the same thing about Barzal and playing NHL hockey in general like 9 months ago. 

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

True, but in my experience, stars are stars. They figure it out.

I said the same thing about Barzal and playing NHL hockey in general like 9 months ago. 

I don't expect him to fall off a cliff. But I also don't expect him to finish 13th in scoring again with 85 points. 

Barzal was on the ice with JT for 22 of his ~1,000 even strength minutes. 

His most-faced opposing forward skaters are, by minutes, in order:
Alex Ovechkin
Travis Konecny
Evgeni Malkin
Nicklas Backstrom
Carl Hagelin
Taylor Hall

And then a few scrubs like Zajac who played with Hall...
and then some Stamkos, Matthews, Kuznetsov rounding out the top 18 or so forwards he faced on the ice by minutes played. 

Despite not playing in his division, he faced Karlsson 4th most of any defenseman in the league by ice time. 

Barzal will do it again without JT 

Repeating this analysis with Jack makes me pissed at Housley btw 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Barzal was on the ice with JT for 22 of his ~1,000 even strength minutes. 

His most-faced opposing forward skaters are, by minutes, in order:
Alex Ovechkin
Travis Konecny
Evgeni Malkin
Nicklas Backstrom
Carl Hagelin
Taylor Hall

And then a few scrubs like Zajac who played with Hall...
and then some Stamkos, Matthews, Kuznetsov rounding out the top 18 or so forwards he faced on the ice by minutes played. 

Despite not playing in his division, he faced Karlsson 4th most of any defenseman in the league by ice time. 

Barzal will do it again without JT 

Repeating this analysis with Jack makes me pissed at Housley btw 

Those guys are obviously good, but they aren’t exactly defensively focused though, no?

i haven’t looked at the breakdowns, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t picture him seeing much of Bergeron or Barkov, or Point, or O’Reilly, or Kadri, or the top D pairings. Those guys were all out against Johnny.

I may be selling Barzal short, because I strongly didn’t like him as an extremely selfish junior, and - as True will tell you - I tend to carry that baggage a while. ?

I didn’t see many complete games from him and he certainly looked good on the highlights.