Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Since when was Chara a cheap shot artist? He was mean as hell with cross checks around the crease, but I don't remember him concussing people on the regular. He's also a HoF player and one of the best defensemen of his generation, so yea, I'd take him on my team. Similar with Lucic, I don't recall him regularly destroying skulls with bad hits. And once again, he was at least twice the player Wilson is. Matt Martin? No thanks. Kadri? I'd really rather not.

I'm still waiting for any kind of decent evidence that enforcers prevented bad hits.

Yea, I think Chara is the perfect example of how you can be vicious without being especially dirty. 

Ask Max Pacioretty how he feels about this assessment.

The Tom Wilson hit is extraordinarily borderline.  What should get him in trouble is where is point of attack comes from on the hit regardless of the head contact.  His angle is from behind the player and as the shot is taken he is pretty much hitting the backside of the shooter's shoulder.  The shooter is moving parallel to the blue line and Wilson came from the neutral zone, thus creating the angle from behind.

I've defended Wilson hits in the past, but this one should warrant a pretty good suspension.

Went and searched... this video should seal it.

Look at the overhead at about :13-:14 seconds in.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Lucic was 100% a cheap shot artist. 

Always amuses me that when we make these lists too, nobody includes Marchand. That dude is the dirtiest player

I think people leave him out because he’s so hated that it’s hard to make the “you’d want him in Buffalo argument” lol. Which shows you how terrible of a dude he is because he’s the best of that group.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I think people leave him out because he’s so hated that it’s hard to make the “you’d want him in Buffalo argument” lol. Which shows you how terrible of a dude he is because he’s the best of that group.

I can definitely see that. He also isn't dirty in the traditional blind side hits. He'll just make sure you can never have kids again

Also, not a great start for Galchenyuk

@craigsmorgan
Per the NHL media site, the Coyotes have placed C Alex Galchenyuk and F Josh Archibald on IR. Archibald is week to week with an upper-body injury. No determination yet on C Christian Dvorak and D Jakob Chychrun. NHL rosters are due Tuesday.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Lucic was 100% a cheap shot artist. 

Always amuses me that when we make these lists too, nobody includes Marchand. That dude is the dirtiest player

Lucic is not really a cheap shot artist, IMO.  Sabre fans are clouded by the Miller incident.  

As for Marchand, IMO he is a real pest who can score.  He is also pretty dirty at times, but he is stealty in it and very rarely gets called on it.  That said, he is one of the most dastardly of those dastardly Bruins, so we have to hate him.  That said, again, I would gladly take him on the Sabres and then all would be forgiven.

2 minutes ago, N S said:

Lucic is not really a cheap shot artist, IMO.  Sabre fans are clouded by the Miller incident.  

As for Marchand, IMO he is a real pest who can score.  He is also pretty dirty at times, but he is stealty in it and very rarely gets called on it.  That said, he is one of the most dastardly of those dastardly Bruins, so we have to hate him.  That said, again, I would gladly take him on the Sabres and then all would be forgiven.

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

Wilson didn't target the head or hit him from behind. It looked like good back checking to me, I have no problem with the hit. 

Yep, he even backs off at the last second to avoid head contact.   Good. Clean. Hit.

46 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That's exactly Chris Neil on Chris Drury.

Not even close.   The Neil hit was very very late and to the head.     Wilson initiates contact while the puck is still on Sundqvist's stick and he doesn't target or hit the head.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Since when was Chara a cheap shot artist? He was mean as hell with cross checks around the crease, but I don't remember him concussing people on the regular. He's also a HoF player and one of the best defensemen of his generation, so yea, I'd take him on my team. Similar with Lucic, I don't recall him regularly destroying skulls with bad hits. And once again, he was at least twice the player Wilson is. Matt Martin? No thanks. Kadri? I'd really rather not.

When it comes to Chara, it seems like most of the time when he gets into a scrum with other players, his hands immediately go up into their face.  It may very well be a product of his height, but I've definitely seen it a lot from him.  I won't label that as a cheap shot, but I can see how it might cloud people's image of him.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

lol what? You want to argue he wasn't aiming at his head fine but "he backs off at the last second" is just false. 

WIlson almost falls over leaning back.    If he wanted to, he could've followed through on it and really do some serious harm.    

Let me ask you this... do you think Campbell's hit on Umberger was clean?

28 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yep, he even backs off at the last second to avoid head contact.   Good. Clean. Hit.

Not even close.   The Neil hit was very very late and to the head.     Wilson initiates contact while the puck is still on Sundqvist's stick and he doesn't target or hit the head.

I slowed it down and the puck is not on Sundqvist stick although it recently has left it. 

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

WIlson almost falls over leaning back.    If he wanted to, he could've followed through on it and really do some serious harm.    

He doesn't lean back at all until he makes contact. He leans back from the contact. I just watched it 20 times at .25 speed, there's no pulling up. 

I stopped it at the exact point of contact. Wilson is not leaning back. From that angle it is hard to tell if the head was the principle point of contact. I put the puck in yellow to show it had left the stick but only recently. Depends on if the principle point of contact is the head. 

WilsonHit.thumb.PNG.4c0ccd10d2f6588497331492aae15382.PNG

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I stopped it at the exact point of contact. Wilson is not leaning back. From that angle it is hard to tell if the head was the principle point of contact. I put the puck in yellow to show it had left the stick but only recently. Depends on if the principle point of contact is the head. 

WilsonHit.thumb.PNG.4c0ccd10d2f6588497331492aae15382.PNG

Wilson's weight is on his right side, he's not leaning into the hit.    His elbow is down, leading with his shoulder and his feet are on the ice.    Looks clean to me.

Edited by pi2000

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Wilson's weight is on his right side, he's not leaning into the hit.    His elbow is down, leading with his shoulder and his feet are on the ice.    Looks clean to me.

Did not argue its cleanliness just your statement that he was leaning back away from the hit. I see no evidence of that. 

WilsonHit2.PNG.cf18e472bd1eed41447aaa7109427e03.PNG

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Wilson's weight should be on his right side.  As he makes the hit you would normally transition that from your right to your left to drive the check into the opponent.  His elbow isn't relevant to the conversation.  His angle is much more relevant.  He's not coming from a lateral or forward position to hit, he is coming from a rear angle to make contact.  Moreover, every time I watch it, it's not 100% clear his shoulder doesn't make head contact at the time his elbow makes body contact.

The bottom line is, that's a hit that easily does not have to be thrown at all and could 100% be avoided.

Appears he's getting an in-person hearing for it.

• Like (+1) 1

You know when you are coming in high on a guy, intentional or not it is likely to result in a slobberknocker of a hit because the other guy is unaware of you or not expecting it.  Now if Wilson dropped his shoulder lower... I’d say clean hit, bit him keeping high to me is the damning evidence, to me that screams cheap shot and he knew exactly what he was doing.

PS, I’ve made similar hits but always aimed my shoulder for the rib cage.  No interesting in hitting someone’s head.

20 minutes ago, LTS said:

Wilson's weight should be on his right side.  As he makes the hit you would normally transition that from your right to your left to drive the check into the opponent.  His elbow isn't relevant to the conversation.  His angle is much more relevant.  He's not coming from a lateral or forward position to hit, he is coming from a rear angle to make contact.  Moreover, every time I watch it, it's not 100% clear his shoulder doesn't make head contact at the time his elbow makes body contact.

The bottom line is, that's a hit that easily does not have to be thrown at all and could 100% be avoided.

Appears he's getting an in-person hearing for it.

What if he doesn't pass it? The defending team is supposed to just let a guy skate to the slot and take a shot? He's got to hit him there. That hit could have been way worse.

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What if he doesn't pass it? The defending team is supposed to just let a guy skate to the slot and take a shot? He's got to hit him there. That hit could have been way worse.

I think the thing here is that because he passes it the resulting hit ends up looking a lot worse. If he's skating and Wilson hits him with his shoulders square that hit ends up being fine. But Wilson catches Sundquist on the follow through of his pass and his right shoulder is dropped. So Wilson ends up catching him on the right shoulder, almost kinda from behind, and it spins Sundquist around like a top since Sundquist is already off balance from the passing motion. 

If Wilson wasn't a known quantity I don't think he'd be getting an in-person hearing. 

Its his 4th time in 12 months, its at least 10 games maybe even 20.       Last pre-season he hit two ST louis blues, got a 2 game and a 4 game (also last game).

In the playoffs he hit a penguin badly only got one game I think for it.    repeat offender status, so wouldn't be surprised to see at least 20 games.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

He's not coming from a lateral or forward position to hit, he is coming from a rear angle to make contact.  Moreover, every time I watch it, it's not 100% clear his shoulder doesn't make head contact at the time his elbow makes body contact.

That's what I saw -- he's coming in from behind. At the point of impact, he's essentially level with the opposing player, but that's just where the collision occurs. It's a blindside approach. I don't have any use for or need for this sort of hit.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Now if Wilson dropped his shoulder lower... I’d say clean hit, bit him keeping high to me is the damning evidence, to me that screams cheap shot and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Yep - he knew perfectly well what he was doing.