Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don't agree with either of these.

As I said you would... that's fine.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Yeah, I get it. I just think it sucks. I'm liking the game less and less as they change it. All these guys want to stickhandle like Gretzky, Crosby, and McDavid without any of their vision.

Hockey is skilled and beautiful. It is also violent and brutal. Everyone on the ice is trying to get what they have to get done in the tiny amount of time they have to get it done before someone tries to crush them. That's the game and it's awesome.

I don't like that we are getting to a place where it will be up to the discretion of a ref on how big of a hit is too big. Just take hitting out of it then. We can watch bag skates where teams just trade losing the puck at each end, Maybe a puck bounces into the net. Kinda where we are already.

Unless it's a fighting sport you will see less "violent and brutal" in sports that feature contact.  The increased understanding around head trauma and its long term impacts are going to force that change.  Football players retiring (and many more not even starting to play the game).  Hockey is less repetitive collision but the dangers are there and the hits like the one Wilson delivered will be removed from the game.

What's making this worse is that there was no penalty for checking from behind, charging, or an illegal check to the head.  This was straight up a match penalty for deliberately attempting to injure an opponent. This pretty much signals that the hit was deemed 100% unnecessary and was delivered in such a way that it's only intent was to injure the opponent. 

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

As I said you would... that's fine.

Unless it's a fighting sport you will see less "violent and brutal" in sports that feature contact.  The increased understanding around head trauma and its long term impacts are going to force that change.  Football players retiring (and many more not even starting to play the game).  Hockey is less repetitive collision but the dangers are there and the hits like the one Wilson delivered will be removed from the game.

What's making this worse is that there was no penalty for checking from behind, charging, or an illegal check to the head.  This was straight up a match penalty for deliberately attempting to injure an opponent. This pretty much signals that the hit was deemed 100% unnecessary and was delivered in such a way that it's only intent was to injure the opponent. 

Yet fighting remains. Curious.

I'd rather see hits than fighting.

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres will face Jaro Halak in the Home Opener per Bruins. 

This has 8-1 Sabres loss written all over it. Facing the backup goalie of a team on the second night of a back to back at home against a well rested Sabres squad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pickard to flyers and McElhinney to canes.

Both make sense , flyers have their future goalie hart in the AHL.   And canes really can't rely much on last years goalies.

So who are the Marlies' tendies now?   Sparks?

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

So who are the Marlies' tendies now?   Sparks?

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

nope, Sparks has the NHL back up job.

Would guess whoever Filly & Carolina send down now that they each presumably have 3 rostered goalies.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Yet fighting remains. Curious.

I'd rather see hits than fighting.

And so do big hits... legal ones.

Fighting is trending out... just like the hits.  It's not an abrupt change, but it's changing.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

And so do big hits... legal ones.

Fighting is trending out... just like the hits.  It's not an abrupt change, but it's changing.

Remember after the lockout when they clamped down on clutch and grab hockey, smaller faster teams excelled.... then LA/CHI came along, playing a heavy game they won 5 Cups.   IMO the league is about to go back to a heavy game as teams are focusing too much on speed vs strength.    It's a cycle, and IMO we're near the end of the speed cycle and it will go back to a big heavy game in the next 2-3 years.   

39 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Remember after the lockout when they clamped down on clutch and grab hockey, smaller faster teams excelled.... then LA/CHI came along, playing a heavy game they won 5 Cups.   IMO the league is about to go back to a heavy game as teams are focusing too much on speed vs strength.    It's a cycle, and IMO we're near the end of the speed cycle and it will go back to a big heavy game in the next 2-3 years.   

Chicago and LA styles were as far apart from each other as NHL teams can get.

I agree with your main point about stylistic cycles

Edited by Randall Flagg

42 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

My problem with your philosophy is you have speed v strength. It completely ignores the concept of speed and strength. The league isn't going back to a slow strong league with mediocre skaters, ever. That's dead. 

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Cool.  Hopefully the Marlies end up w/ beer league rejects.  :lol:

Is dark looking for work?  It would be nice to have a sleeper agent on that team.

I'm surprises to see them lose two.  It's pretty much always going to take injuries for a goalie to be claimed, since they need to stick in the NHL after the claim.  So it's a bit of a rarity to see that sting the same club twice, or to even have three potential backups all on the same roster.

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Halak was the main goalie on the team that allowed the second-most goals of any team since 2005-2006. 

We're totes scoring 1 goal and losing handily 

If I were near you I'd slap you and tell you to get ahold of yourself