Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Its his 4th time in 12 months, its at least 10 games maybe even 20.       Last pre-season he hit two ST louis blues, got a 2 game and a 4 game (also last game).

In the playoffs he hit a penguin badly only got one game I think for it.    repeat offender status, so wouldn't be surprised to see at least 20 games.

This is the rub of Tom Wilson. He's developed his own reputation as a guy who delivers body checks not just with intent to dislodge the puck carrier from the puck, but also with intent to injure the puck carrier. One of these things is acceptable, the other is not. A lot of players will avoid making hits that could injure their opponents, it happens dozens of times a game every night.

Some would argue that trying not to hurt other players with hits makes you a bad player, or weak. I think it makes you a good sporting fellow. 

Tom Wilson is not a sporting fellow. 

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Let me ask you this... do you think Campbell's hit on Umberger was clean?

They're different hits, different angles. IMO and IIRC, Campbell did not come in from Umberger's blindside (Umberger was going due north-south at the time). The Wilson hit is much closer to Neil on Drury than Campbell on Umberger.

7 hours ago, N S said:

Lucic is not really a cheap shot artist, IMO.  Sabre fans are clouded by the Miller incident.  

As for Marchand, IMO he is a real pest who can score.  He is also pretty dirty at times, but he is stealty in it and very rarely gets called on it.  That said, he is one of the most dastardly of those dastardly Bruins, so we have to hate him.  That said, again, I would gladly take him on the Sabres and then all would be forgiven.

Didn't lucic skewer some dudes junk?

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

What if he doesn't pass it? The defending team is supposed to just let a guy skate to the slot and take a shot? He's got to hit him there. That hit could have been way worse.

Yea, I mean he could have just elbowed him in the head.  What he's supposed to do is establish his position laterally or to the front of the player before hitting him.  I don't know if he just made a line change or what the reason was for his approach angle but it was from behind the player.  That's all there is to it.  You can't hit him there, period.

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I think the thing here is that because he passes it the resulting hit ends up looking a lot worse. If he's skating and Wilson hits him with his shoulders square that hit ends up being fine. But Wilson catches Sundquist on the follow through of his pass and his right shoulder is dropped. So Wilson ends up catching him on the right shoulder, almost kinda from behind, and it spins Sundquist around like a top since Sundquist is already off balance from the passing motion. 

If Wilson wasn't a known quantity I don't think he'd be getting an in-person hearing. 

I agree that Sundqvist's motion makes it worse.  Even if he hadn't released the puck the hit from Wilson would have been from a blindsiding angle unless Sundqvist turned back towards the blue line more.  He didn't and probably would not have and in this case is hypothetical because it didn't happen.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Quite the career for Hartnell. 

Definitely. A unique player and guy. I kind of always liked him. Certainly made some dirty mistakes but it often felt like a guy on the edge vs a guy purposely going over it.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Yea, I mean he could have just elbowed him in the head.  What he's supposed to do is establish his position laterally or to the front of the player before hitting him.  I don't know if he just made a line change or what the reason was for his approach angle but it was from behind the player.  That's all there is to it.  You can't hit him there, period.

I agree that Sundqvist's motion makes it worse.  Even if he hadn't released the puck the hit from Wilson would have been from a blindsiding angle unless Sundqvist turned back towards the blue line more.  He didn't and probably would not have and in this case is hypothetical because it didn't happen.

I just disagree with this take.

Here's a grab. How could whatever comes next be considered a blindside angle?

317205155_ScreenShot2018-10-01at9_26_05PM.thumb.png.280b24b6d592c5d815aaf5a4e01d8a4b.png

• Like (+1) 2

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of this or if it’s similar to a hit from over ten years ago. Over the last couple seasons, the NHL has made it very clear that these type of hits need to go. They have been very consistent with it. If Wilson continues to ignore that, he will find himself out of the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Since when was Chara a cheap shot artist? He was mean as hell with cross checks around the crease, but I don't remember him concussing people on the regular. He's also a HoF player and one of the best defensemen of his generation, so yea, I'd take him on my team. Similar with Lucic, I don't recall him regularly destroying skulls with bad hits. And once again, he was at least twice the player Wilson is. Matt Martin? No thanks. Kadri? I'd really rather not.

I'm still waiting for any kind of decent evidence that enforcers prevented bad hits.

Yea, I think Chara is the perfect example of how you can be vicious without being especially dirty. 

Where did I say Chara was a cheap shot artist? 

36 minutes ago, shrader said:

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of this or if it’s similar to a hit from over ten years ago. Over the last couple seasons, the NHL has made it very clear that these type of hits need to go. They have been very consistent with it. If Wilson continues to ignore that, he will find himself out of the league. 

I don't know. I know I would rather see a big hit like that than a weak ass stick check when a guy with the puck skates to prime ice and a backchecker works his ass of to get there.

I'm starting to think there should be parallel lines the length of the rink the width of the crease, where, like behind the net, it is and area "where you should expect to be hit." (I was going to ALL CAPS that but it seemed to loud.)

I enjoy big clean hits (which I thought that was) just as much as some fancy dipsydoodling. Sorry, I just do.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just disagree with this take.

Here's a grab. How could whatever comes next be considered a blindside angle?

317205155_ScreenShot2018-10-01at9_26_05PM.thumb.png.280b24b6d592c5d815aaf5a4e01d8a4b.png

I understand why looking at this screen grab would indicate the oncoming collision.  Wilson is a minimum of 1/3 of the ice width away from the puck carrier.  This is like skating in from the inside edge of the face-off circle towards a guy on the boards where if he turns you have to hold up from the hit.  The standard is no different just because it's the middle of the ice.  

image.thumb.png.cf1fb130aa99c00d9468a2327549e395.png

Here's a few frames later.  This is the point where Wilson is no longer lateral to his opponent. I could frame grab a few more shots leading up to this, but Wilson could have taken an approach a few more feet inside the zone and turned and made the same hit cleanly.  Instead he took a straight line angle which increases the odds that the player he is trying to hit will be turned away from him (most players are going to turn up the ice towards goal).

This is why Tom Wilson is Tom Wilson.  At this point he's more worried about hitting the guy than playing defense. This is the point where we will likely continue to disagree as I feel that these kinds of hits are completely unnecessary as they serve only to try and injure and add no defensive value.

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

I understand why looking at this screen grab would indicate the oncoming collision.  Wilson is a minimum of 1/3 of the ice width away from the puck carrier.  This is like skating in from the inside edge of the face-off circle towards a guy on the boards where if he turns you have to hold up from the hit.  The standard is no different just because it's the middle of the ice.  

image.thumb.png.cf1fb130aa99c00d9468a2327549e395.png

Here's a few frames later.  This is the point where Wilson is no longer lateral to his opponent. I could frame grab a few more shots leading up to this, but Wilson could have taken an approach a few more feet inside the zone and turned and made the same hit cleanly.  Instead he took a straight line angle which increases the odds that the player he is trying to hit will be turned away from him (most players are going to turn up the ice towards goal).

This is why Tom Wilson is Tom Wilson.  At this point he's more worried about hitting the guy than playing defense. This is the point where we will likely continue to disagree as I feel that these kinds of hits are completely unnecessary as they serve only to try and injure and add no defensive value.

I don't agree with either of these.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don't know. I know I would rather see a big hit like that than a weak ass stick check when a guy with the puck skates to prime ice and a backchecker works his ass of to get there.

I'm starting to think there should be parallel lines the length of the rink the width of the crease, where, like behind the net, it is and area "where you should expect to be hit." (I was going to ALL CAPS that but it seemed to loud.)

I enjoy big clean hits (which I thought that was) just as much as some fancy dipsydoodling. Sorry, I just do.

You thought it was, and it was at one point.  But those days are gone.  As I've said, they've been very clear about it.  In this day where they're so aware of what head injuries can lead to, there is no way they can let it happen anymore.  Games evolve.  I know where you're coming from, but I suggest that you get used to it because these types of calls/suspensions are not going away.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

You thought it was, and it was at one point.  But those days are gone.  As I've said, they've been very clear about it.  In this day where they're so aware of what head injuries can lead to, there is no way they can let it happen anymore.  Games evolve.  I know where you're coming from, but I suggest that you get used to it because these types of calls/suspensions are not going away.

Yeah, I get it. I just think it sucks. I'm liking the game less and less as they change it. All these guys want to stickhandle like Gretzky, Crosby, and McDavid without any of their vision.

Hockey is skilled and beautiful. It is also violent and brutal. Everyone on the ice is trying to get what they have to get done in the tiny amount of time they have to get it done before someone tries to crush them. That's the game and it's awesome.

I don't like that we are getting to a place where it will be up to the discretion of a ref on how big of a hit is too big. Just take hitting out of it then. We can watch bag skates where teams just trade losing the puck at each end, Maybe a puck bounces into the net. Kinda where we are already.