Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

19 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, there was all the reporting around ROR before the trade about the role the bonus played in his market. Maybe it's a bunch of nonsense, but I'd imagine owners in smaller markets aren't a big fan. I don't think they're super common overall, but it seems they're becoming more frequent with newer contracts. 

Can't blame them either. Signing deals like that allow guys to:

A) Get paid up front

B) Protect themselves against being bought out

C) Avoid escrow

D) Avoid state income taxes (in states with no income tax)

Just now, Alkoholist said:

A) Get paid up front

C) Avoid escrow

Bonuses aren't subject to escrow? Really? Mind. Blown. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Callahan to a third team is very likely but that team would not be giving value to Ottawa, they’d be receiving value in the deal. The Rangers have been mentioned a lot in getting Callahan back.

Just kind of winging what the deal might look like:

Tampa gets: Erik Karlsson

Rangers get: Callahan, Tampa 2020 1st, maybe a mid-level prospect

Ottawa gets: Anthony Cirelli, Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, Tampa 2019 first

That’s probably not the package Ottawa gets because I think they’ll demand one of Point/Sergachev (and Tampa should be willing if that’s what gets the deal done). If it’s Point then take out Cirelli and Raddysh, if it’s Sergachev then take out Foote. I also imagine Ottawa will want a bigger pick haul than that.

I would also think that the Rangers would not be a team Callahan wants to go back to.  They aren't going to win anything while he's under contract.  If he's providing 16 teams they would most likely be playoff favorites wouldn't you think?

19 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

A) Get paid up front

C) Avoid escrow

18 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Bonuses aren't subject to escrow? Really? Mind. Blown. 

Signing bonuses are most certainly subject to escrow withholding.

50.4.d

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

I would also think that the Rangers would not be a team Callahan wants to go back to.  They aren't going to win anything while he's under contract.  If he's providing 16 teams they would most likely be playoff favorites wouldn't you think?

Player lists rarely reflect the standings.

21 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I just can't believe Yzerman keeps getting his stars to sign for amounts obviously less than their market value. And we're not talking about $500k hometown discounts either. Hedman could have gotten Subban money on the open market, and Kucherov would have been around Tavares money. Unreal. Yzerman should win every executive of the year award until these contracts expire. 

Really makes me wonder how much Matthews will get.    Either Kucherov is a steal , or McDavid really got to much.

But Toronto with JT at 11 mil.    Matthews will ask for 13 mil, Nylander should get 7 and Marner around 8.   And they still need to fix their Defense.

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

If there was ever a time to test pi's theory on Matthews, it's when we find out just how much he gets for his contract. If he gets any more than Tavares, pi might be right

I'll be shocked if he signs for <11m, and don't see a deal getting done this summer.... my guess is it drags on into the season and becomes a distraction (Toronto media), ultimately they buckle and give in to his contract demands before he reaches RFA status.      Expectations will be raised because of the large salary, which he'll find impossible to live up to... ultimately getting run out of town and landing in his home state where he'll be welcomed with open arms.

Edited by pi2000

26 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'll be shocked if he signs for <11m, and don't see a deal getting done this summer.... my guess is it drags on into the season and becomes a distraction (Toronto media), ultimately they buckle and give in to his contract demands before he reaches RFA status.      Expectations will be raised because of the large salary, which he'll find impossible to live up to... ultimately getting run out of town and landing in his home state where he'll be welcomed with open arms.

It's already started. They've been asking him questions about Tavares and the C a ton ever since the signing. To the point where, for some reason, Bobby Orr went off about it 

https://www.nhl.com/news/bobby-orr-says-auston-matthews-has-no-issues-with-john-tavares-possible-captaincy/c-299455102?tid=277548856

Edit: Orr's agency has Matthews, so that's why

Edited by WildCard