Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@icemancometh
#NHLDucks announce they will retire Paul Kariya's No. 9 jersey on Oct. 21 and Scott Niedermayer's No. 27 on Feb. 17

Ducks writer for the athletic

The team tweeted it:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Nitika Kucherov signs 8 year 9.5 Million AAV Extension with Tampa 

Wow.  I mean... they are going to be up against it in cap space.  How could they possibly land Karlsson at this point?

They don't have the space to add him at the moment... they only have $3.4M open.  They have to move a salary or two.  Unless the players with NTC/NMC waive or don't eliminate Ottawa as a landing spot they only players they can move are:

Miller - $5.25M
Gourde - $1M
Paquette - $1M
Point - $700k
Andreoff - $700k
Conacher - $700k
Koekkoek - $865k
Dotchin - $812k

They would have to get super creative..  they aren't moving Miller after they just signed him are they?  The rest of the players barely clear enough space if you move ALL Of them and then they don't have enough for a team.

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

Wow.  I mean... they are going to be up against it in cap space.  How could they possibly land Karlsson at this point?

They don't have the space to add him at the moment... they only have $3.4M open.  They have to move a salary or two.  Unless the players with NTC/NMC waive or don't eliminate Ottawa as a landing spot they only players they can move are:

Miller - $5.25M
Gourde - $1M
Paquette - $1M
Point - $700k
Andreoff - $700k
Conacher - $700k
Koekkoek - $865k
Dotchin - $812k

They would have to get super creative..  they aren't moving Miller after they just signed him are they?  The rest of the players barely clear enough space if you move ALL Of them and then they don't have enough for a team.

All they’ve got to do is unload Callahan and they’re good for this offseason. It gets a little trickier next offseason, but they’ve got a few UFA defenseman coming off the books that they can replace with cheaper options. They’re working magic over there.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

All they’ve got to do is unload Callahan and they’re good for this offseason. It gets a little trickier next offseason, but they’ve got a few UFA defenseman coming off the books that they can replace with cheaper options. They’re working magic over there.

Callahan has a NMC/NTC - he has to provide 16 teams he's willing to be traded to.  Do you think he's listing Ottawa as one of them?

So, Callahan most likely has to go somewhere else and that team has to move players to Ottawa who are not protected.  So, they've got to get very creative.  At the same time, if they intend on keeping Karlsson they will have to get even more creative after this season.

If they sign Karlsson to even a $10M contract their cap hits for the foreseeable future is about $56M for 11 players.  5 forwards, 4 defense, 2 goalies.  Give them $24M to play with in the following year to sign another 10-12 players.  Could be tough...  not impossible, but it would be interesting.

So, who will be the third party that can help facilitate this trade?  My guess it has to be one or two of Callahan, Palat, Johnson, and Killorn that get moved.  Curious how much overlap their list of teams they are willing to be traded to would be.

34 minutes ago, LTS said:

Miller - $5.25M
Gourde - $1M
Paquette - $1M
Point - $700k
Andreoff - $700k
Conacher - $700k
Koekkoek - $865k
Dotchin - $812k

They'll be fine....they compete for the Cup every year. That's all that matters....we trade our players for draft picks

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

Callahan has a NMC/NTC - he has to provide 16 teams he's willing to be traded to.  Do you think he's listing Ottawa as one of them?

So, Callahan most likely has to go somewhere else and that team has to move players to Ottawa who are not protected.  So, they've got to get very creative.  At the same time, if they intend on keeping Karlsson they will have to get even more creative after this season.

If they sign Karlsson to even a $10M contract their cap hits for the foreseeable future is about $56M for 11 players.  5 forwards, 4 defense, 2 goalies.  Give them $24M to play with in the following year to sign another 10-12 players.  Could be tough...  not impossible, but it would be interesting.

So, who will be the third party that can help facilitate this trade?  My guess it has to be one or two of Callahan, Palat, Johnson, and Killorn that get moved.  Curious how much overlap their list of teams they are willing to be traded to would be.

Callahan to a third team is very likely but that team would not be giving value to Ottawa, they’d be receiving value in the deal. The Rangers have been mentioned a lot in getting Callahan back.

Just kind of winging what the deal might look like:

Tampa gets: Erik Karlsson

Rangers get: Callahan, Tampa 2020 1st, maybe a mid-level prospect

Ottawa gets: Anthony Cirelli, Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, Tampa 2019 first

That’s probably not the package Ottawa gets because I think they’ll demand one of Point/Sergachev (and Tampa should be willing if that’s what gets the deal done). If it’s Point then take out Cirelli and Raddysh, if it’s Sergachev then take out Foote. I also imagine Ottawa will want a bigger pick haul than that.

@TheFourthPeriod
Kucherov's $9.5M AAV in Florida is almost identical to making $12M in California or $11M in NY  after state tax, or $10.9M in Ontario after provincial tax.

I find this to be such bullsh!t. It feels like it allows Tampa and other teams in similar scenarios to play by a whole different set of rules 

48 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@TheFourthPeriod
Kucherov's $9.5M AAV in Florida is almost identical to making $12M in California or $11M in NY  after state tax, or $10.9M in Ontario after provincial tax.

I find this to be such bullsh!t. It feels like it allows Tampa and other teams in similar scenarios to play by a whole different set of rules 

@TheFourthPeriod does not understand how the CBA treats the State / Provincial Income Tax issue.

Am I doing that right, TrueBlue?

3 minutes ago, N S said:

@TheFourthPeriod does not understand how the CBA treats the State / Provincial Income Tax issue.

Am I doing that right, TrueBlue?

Yea. If they were actually interested in journalism, they'd issue a correction or retract it entirely if they can't put a more accurate estimate out there. 

54 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@TheFourthPeriod

I just can't believe Yzerman keeps getting his stars to sign for amounts obviously less than their market value. And we're not talking about $500k hometown discounts either. Hedman could have gotten Subban money on the open market, and Kucherov would have been around Tavares money. Unreal. Yzerman should win every executive of the year award until these contracts expire. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I just can't believe Yzerman keeps getting his stars to sign for amounts obviously less than their market value. And we're not talking about $500k hometown discounts either. Hedman could have gotten Subban money on the open market, and Kucherov would have been around Tavares money. Unreal. Yzerman should win every executive of the year award until these contracts expire. 

He's gotta be selling them on championships. Which is amazing because, well, they haven't won one yet, and he keeps selling them on it. It's not like these guys all get 3-4 year deals either, they all get long term 'we're here for the long haul' type investments

I think it has less to do with the taxes and more to do with where you are. Tampa. You get to go to the Arena in shorts and flip-flops for practice. 

Just now, WildCard said:

He's gotta be selling them on championships. Which is amazing because, well, they haven't won one yet, and he keeps selling them on it. It's not like these guys all get 3-4 year deals either, they all get long term 'we're here for the long haul' type investments

Also I think this too. 

11 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Don't leave those of us who don't know in the dark- how does the CBA treat local income taxes?

Non-bonus money gets paid by game, so the players pay the state income tax in the state that they play the game, regardless of which team they play for. So really, playing in a tax-free state impacts 41 games plus bonuses, not the entire contract value. Plus, that's not counting escrow in a given year and how much that impacts take home pay. And, of course, we all know that nearly  nobody pays the top percentage because of deductions. 

As far as I can tell, all the Fourth Period did was compare state/Provincial tax and shave it off total contract value. So they put out a totally inaccurate number which exaggerates the differences. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Non-bonus money gets paid by game, so the players pay the state income tax in the state that they play the game, regardless of which team they play for. So really, playing in a tax-free state impacts 41 games plus bonuses, not the entire contract value. Plus, that's not counting escrow in a given year and how much that impacts take home pay. And, of course, we all know that nearly  nobody pays the top percentage because of deductions. 

As far as I can tell, all the Fourth Period did was compare state/Provincial tax and shave it off total contract value. So they put out a totally inaccurate number which exaggerates the differences. 

So then if it's a signing bonus heavy deal, that entire portion would fall under Florida's tax law?

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

So then if it's a signing bonus heavy deal, that entire portion would fall under Florida's tax law?

Yes. 

Edit: As an aside, I bet reigning in bonuses will be a topic during the next lockout. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yes. 

Edit: As an aside, I bet reigning in bonuses will be a topic during the next lockout. 

They will make some rule where no more than 50% of your salary for a year can be paid out in bonuses and then we will have another lockout. 

I'm not so sure either side would have any interest in changing anything.  I don't really see anything that it would do other than balancing the playing field.  Neither side really gains much from changing it.  Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the players actually have these type of bonuses?  If it's a very small number, there's not much sense in messing with it.

Just now, shrader said:

I'm not so sure either side would have any interest in changing anything.  I don't really see anything that it would do other than balancing the playing field.  Neither side really gains much from changing it.  Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the players actually have these type of bonuses?  If it's a very small number, there's not much sense in messing with it.

Well, there was all the reporting around ROR before the trade about the role the bonus played in his market. Maybe it's a bunch of nonsense, but I'd imagine owners in smaller markets aren't a big fan. I don't think they're super common overall, but it seems they're becoming more frequent with newer contracts.