Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, 4 am on New Year's Day and they're talking hockey. It was two years ago and I think they made it to the conference finals that year.

Just thought some context was needed.

It really was last week.  The players apologized:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25190772/ottawa-senators-players-apologize-criticizing-assistant-coach-uber-ride-recording

Bag skates daily for November?

47 minutes ago, inkman said:

Uber made the driver take the video down, he may face possible legal action. 

Good luck with that.  Arizona is a one-party consent state, so there's no crime.  As far as a civil suit goes, I doubt the guy is collectible.

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm getting sick of people thinking they can record anything and just throw it online, I get you got a cam for security reasons.  Or if you need it to back up your claims whenever something happens.    But don't just throw any personal stuff online.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm getting sick of people thinking they can record anything and just throw it online, I get you got a cam for security reasons.  Or if you need it to back up your claims whenever something happens.    But don't just throw any personal stuff online.

These days there is no assumption of privacy, ever.  Sad, really.  Even sadder is the fact that many are actually after their own 15 minutes of fame, for good, or bad.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I remember when I first read 1984 and thinking, "C'mon, Big Brother is always listening?! Seems a little ridiculous, but still a good story, though."

I now think the only things that Orwell got wrong were that He's also watching,… and that "He" is "Us."

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I remember when I first read 1984 and thinking, "C'mon, Big Brother is always listening?! Seems a little ridiculous, but still a good story, though."

I now think the only things that Orwell got wrong were that He's also watching,… and that "He" is "Us."

Ever been talking about something aloud with someone and then go to Google it and you type 2 letters and the whole thing comes up? Yeah, "he is"

Oh and that driver is a smarmy *****.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Take it down? I guess, but a bunch of other people have posted it. Like my ill-advised mascot sex tape of the mid to late 90s, that one's gonna live forever.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Good luck with that.  Arizona is a one-party consent state, so there's no crime.  As far as a civil suit goes, I doubt the guy is collectible.

The guy isn't, but is uber?  Not that it really matters though.  I can't imagine it being worth any of these players' time to pursue it.

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Chicago fired the wrong guy. I don't think Quenneville traded Panarin for Saad, gave Seabrook a retirement contract, cap dumped Hjalmarsson, etc etc etc. 

Bowman has been a joke for the last couple of years. It's well known him and Q have been at major odds lately because of these moves and some other issues, and it looks like Bowman won. Now Quennenville will go to Edmonton and win another Cup

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Chicago fired the wrong guy. I don't think Quenneville traded Panarin for Saad, gave Seabrook a retirement contract, cap dumped Hjalmarsson, etc etc etc. 

Their new head coach is the same age as Seabrook. Seabrook has this season then five more seasons left on his contract at a $6.875M cap hit.

Edited by Hoss

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I have a huge privacy issue with this

A huge one? I dunno, man. They were public figures in a ride share vehicle. Be governed accordingly.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Setting aside state-specific statutes that might afford some right to your own personage for publicity's sake (NY's got something like that in the Civil Rights Law, yeah?), what would the cause of action be here? They were in his car.

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

The guy isn't, but is uber?  Not that it really matters though.  I can't imagine it being worth any of these players' time to pursue it.

That was my thought. I know the ride share companies try to carry on with the independent contractor approach, but I trust plaintiffs' lawyers are trying to make them answerable for stuff like this.

31 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

24 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Bowman has been a joke for the last couple of years. It's well known him and Q have been at major odds lately because of these moves and some other issues, and it looks like Bowman won. Now Quennenville will go to Edmonton and win another Cup

A lot of this is just inevitable life cycle, innit? It's a shame for the franchise to lose such an obviously great coach.

Bowman missed on some stuff, for sure, as things got dicey with the cap, but he also won a few Cups and went to some conference finals during his run. 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Setting aside state-specific statutes that might afford some right to your own personage for publicity's sake (NY's got something like that in the Civil Rights Law, yeah?), what would the cause of action be here? They were in his car.

And even Civil Rights L § 51 requires that the offended person be a NYS resident and that the offender used the personage for monetary gain.

As for suing Uber, what did it do wrong?

Oh and as for Quenneville, big mistake (even though I don't regard him as highly as many do).  Hoss is right; they fired the wrong guy.

Edited by Eleven

Just now, Eleven said:

And even Civil Rights L § 51 requires that the offended person be a NYS resident and that the offender used the personage for monetary gain.

Oh and as for Quenneville, big mistake (even though I don't regard him as highly as many do).  Hoss is right; they fired the wrong guy.

Thought you had to give consent to be filmed with audio enabled

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

A huge one? I dunno, man. They were public figures in a ride share vehicle. Be governed accordingly.

Hockey players from Ottawa in Arizona?  I'm not so sure that counts as public figures.  More people out there probably know who I am and I've never even set foot in that state.

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Thought you had to give consent to be filmed with audio enabled

Not if you're in the same place as the person filming you, in a one-party consent state, as far as I know.  I won't pretend to know Arizona's nuances, though.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They connected the players to the driver.  With all the crazy things that people sue over in this country, you'd have to believe anyone considering going after an Uber driver would also go after Uber itself.