Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not saying I think the Sabres should fire Phil and hire Joel. I don't think Phil deserves to be fired right now. 

It would be so Sabres, though, to wind up needing to fire Phil in the next 2 years, and continually missing out on big names being available because of unfortunate timing, between Babs (well not that), Trotz, Quenneville. 

Yup. 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not saying I think the Sabres should fire Phil and hire Joel. I don't think Phil deserves to be fired right now. 

It would be so Sabres, though, to wind up needing to fire Phil in the next 2 years, and continually missing out on big names being available because of unfortunate timing, between Babs (well not that), Trotz, Quenneville. 

How about putting him on a retainer?  Give him a contract to do nothing but "wait and see".

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2018 at 11:18 AM, Randall Flagg said:
On 9/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, pi2000 said:

If Eichel wanted more money he could've played out the year and gone from there. 

But he chose to sign and give the team some certainty.   

AM only cares about maxing out the dollars, which is why he hasn't signed yet and likely will drag on throughout the season.

This will only be logically consistent 4 weeks from now, as Eichel didn't sign until early October. But your conclusion was made when Matthews didn't do what you did, even though his path had him prepared enough to finish 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring during his rookie season.

Well, it's been 8 weeks... and here we are.   

Anybody think he'll sign an extension in the near future?

I've always predicted AM would have short term success.    He has.    He choose the path of least resistance (getting paid to play in Europe) instead of putting in the effort to get a high school diploma and attend college.     Money motivates him (not winning, not developing his character, not growing as a person)... once he's financially secure he'll no longer have any motivation to succeed.

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Well, it's been 8 weeks... and here we are.   

Anybody think he'll sign an extension in the near future?

I've always predicted AM would have short term success.    He has.    He choose the path of least resistance (getting paid to play in Europe) instead of putting in the effort to get a high school diploma and attend college.     Money motivates him (not winning, not developing his character, not growing as a person)... once he's financially secure he'll no longer have any motivation to succeed.

As predicted, you outrageously paint Matthews' stunning success as a 100% victory in your bizarre and phony character assassination attempt that has zero basis in reality outside of "he played his predraft season in Europe as opposed to the NCAA." 

And just like you would expect, it makes you look even more foolish than you did along the way. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

As predicted, you outrageously paint Matthews' stunning success as a 100% victory in your bizarre and phony character assassination attempt that has zero basis in reality outside of "he played his predraft season in Europe as opposed to the NCAA." 

And just like you would expect, it makes you look even more foolish than you did along the way. 

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
- Euripides

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If the Sabres get 40+ shots on goal tomorrow night, it will be the 2nd time in team histry (and 1st since 1975) we have hit that mark in 4 consecutive games

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-pumping-loads-of-shots-on-net/

I don't know why but that stat really makes me happy

What is their record in the 3 games ...

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

If the Sabres get 40+ shots on goal tomorrow night, it will be the 2nd time in team histry (and 1st since 1975) we have hit that mark in 4 consecutive games

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-pumping-loads-of-shots-on-net/

I don't know why but that stat really makes me happy

The Sabres, honest to goodness, have decent underlying metrics. I think we've rejoined the NHL and just have the normal roster issues to deal with like everyone else, there's no longer a "we need to find a way to be playing competitive NHL hockey" thing going on.

• Like (+1) 1