Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

I wish I could find it, but I seem to recall an article where the writer interviewed the all-time greats about the selections for an all-time great team and, IIRC, there was some solid (funny) give and take between and among the top 3 forwards -- maybe Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby? -- about who gets to play center on that top line. The idea being: They'd stay on the top line rather than drop down to center a 2nd line. Just amusing.

Well, when Gretzky & Lemieux WERE on a line together, the Great One was the C. Just sayin'.

I hope I never get to the point of fandom where I can't be over the moon with my expectations about a prospect as universally revered as Dahlin. Maybe he doesn't get there. So what? Why let disappointment 5 years down the road ruin the experience for me now?

This is how I feel.

I feel this. I only like to step in when I see things that I think are crazy. Which hasn't happened here as far as I've seen. 

But on hfboards, I got into an argument with a couple of people spouting that his absolute floor is Erik Karlsson. As if it's a guarantee that he can be no worse than a top 5 offensive defenseman to ever play the game. They're out of their minds and we should be thrilled if Dahlin becomes 10% worse than EK, because that would still mean that he's become an amazing defenseman and exactly what we needed. In the same thread where nothing outstanding had been said about Dahlin for a year of draft coverage. Normal conversation about a good #1 prospect in a good draft. And now all of a sudden people are going over the top over there.

That said, his skillset is just sublime and I can't wait for October already.

And this is completely fair too. But it’s going both ways on here. The more outlandish takes are probably weighted to the negative side. I’m thinking the mention of Shea Theodore. Come on.

That's the thing, I've literally had that thread (and Jack Hughes's, and Lafreniere's, and Matthews, and McDavid etc) bookmarked since it was created, I keep up on those threads right from the beginning. I've read it all as its happened. It wasn't nearly as full of hype and hyperbole as McD's and Matthews, and often had discussions putting his prospect status in line with Hedman and Doughty (amazing company), but now on Sabres hf it's literally being said that Karlsson would be a disappointment because Craig Button and Ray Ferraro (guys they trash all the time whenever else it suits them) use over the top comparisons because it's what they do.

For comparison, I'm positive that Eichel's thread was on at least part 5 by this time. McDavid's might have been 10. I'll go look actually.

Hell, just the McDavid versus Eichel prospect thread had 5 editions.

Matthews was on part 7 by the summer.

Nico Hischier's thread on that forum is Dahlin's closest comparable in terms of length, for recent top prospects.

Part of the reason I don't read HF anymore: all prospects are talked about as if they are already at their ceiling. I couldn't take it anymore.

But with Dahlin? Give me all of the irrational exuberance you can. I want it all! If this kid were Canadian and playing in the OHL, I firmly believe his hype (even if the substance isn't quite there) would be at McDavid levels.

Kris Baker did say he thought the hype for Dahlin would be at McDavid level if Dahlin were Canadian, for what it’s worth. Also, those other guys being scoring forwards contributes to the extra message board chatter as well. The high scoring forwards are always the “sexier” topic.

It’s probably tied to age, but mostly it’s about one’s ability to allow themselves hope.

Dahlin gives me hope.

It’s been a long cold, lonely winter.

It seems like years since it’s been here...

That’s how I see it, and it feels reasonable given the nice list of prospects reaching expectations you laid out in that other post.

Edited by Thorny

I just watched a gif of Dahlin flipping a tire. I will be very curious to see what his weight is at the combine. He's already training.

I’ll let you know.

Also in the Ok Captain Obvious, No Sherlock, In Other News Water Is Wet Category, per Jeremy White Twitter Source The Lineup on the Whiteboard in Botterill’s Office/Conference Room has Dahlin’s Name on it under Defenseman.

Shocking I Know.

The only 2 defenders who had more points than Dahlin at the WJC20 this past January were Libor Hajek (20yr old, 2016 draft) and Cale Makar (19yr old, 2017 draft). This will make Pi happy, Dahlin was tied for 6th in the tournament with a +7.  He was 4th among defenders. 

The only 2 defenders who had more points than Dahlin at the WJC20 this past January were Libor Hajek (20yr old, 2016 draft) and Cale Makar (19yr old, 2017 draft). This will make Pi happy, Dahlin was tied for 6th in the tournament with a +7.  He was 4th among defenders. 

ilFsT33.gif

Cover story on Dahlin in the latest Hockey News did nothing to kill the hype.

Biggest takeaway: don’t think Lidstrom or Karlsson, think what Peter Forsberg would be like as a defenceman.

“A combination of dazzling puck skills and ornery intensity.”

“He gets really mean. He doesn’t lose his head but he competes. He’s going to have more dirty tricks than people think and he’s going to battle for everything.”

I’m sorry, I need a moment.

Cover story on Dahlin in the latest Hockey News did nothing to kill the hype.

Biggest takeaway: don’t think Lidstrom or Karlsson, think what Peter Forsberg would be like as a defenceman.

“A combination of dazzling puck skills and ornery intensity.”

“He gets really mean. He doesn’t lose his head but he competes. He’s going to have more dirty tricks than people think and he’s going to battle for everything.”

I’m sorry, I need a moment.

So, they interviewed our MODO for the article? :huh:

:thumbsup: :beer:

Look,

Obviously its impossible to deny the hype over Rasmus Dahlin, the kid knows the expectations is going trough the roof and everythinig around him

keeps reminding him of that, if the experts are right he will handle it like a true sportsman, it feels like his mind is a couple of years older than his actuall age and that will help alot.

It will be hard on the kid for sure and its very important that this organisation nurture him well which im sure they will, i just hope they find someone that really can take care of him in a way that he feels home, home is so important in this matter.

So you guys can copy paste this to Buffalo Sabres, hire "MODO" and the phat panny will once again prove such success.

Look,

Obviously its impossible to deny the hype over Rasmus Dahlin, the kid knows the expectations is going trough the roof and everythinig around him

keeps reminding him of that, if the experts are right he will handle it like a true sportsman, it feels like his mind is a couple of years older than his actuall age and that will help alot.

It will be hard on the kid for sure and its very important that this organisation nurture him well which im sure they will, i just hope they find someone that really can take care of him in a way that he feels home, home is so important in this matter.

So you guys can copy paste this to Buffalo Sabres, hire "MODO" and the phat panny will once again prove such success.

I assume that Ullmark, Pilut, and Dahlin might all live near each other. Ullmark can be the guy for Dahlin. Considering Ullmark is an awesome human, I hope Dahlin lives with him and his family.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.