Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

1) Scandella and Bogosian?  Oh boy.   I like Scandella, but he hasn't exactly been around the block a few times.   Bogo?  I'm talking about "on-ice" direction, not in the trainers room.  

2) If he's truly generational.....

3-5) Good points.

If that happens I'll burn my avatar. 

Noice.

"He can control the game from the back end. He controls the rhythm over the puck. He knows when to slow it down and when to speed it up. He's so skilled over the puck so he can also be the difference maker scoring by himself or making guys score. He's on the same level as the best quarterbacks in the National Hockey League today.”

“He has the edge that the best players have. He's a true winner. He wants to win in everything he participates in. We were practicing today and it was like a war out there and he was in the middle of it. Every practice, every sitation he is there stepping up for his team and he wants to win the game for them. He has the character the best Swedish players have had and I coached Peter Forsberg.”

Roger Ronnberg, Frolunda coach.

"He can control the game from the back end. He controls the rhythm over the puck. He knows when to slow it down and when to speed it up. He's so skilled over the puck so he can also be the difference maker scoring by himself or making guys score. He's on the same level as the best quarterbacks in the National Hockey League today.”

“He has the edge that the best players have. He's a true winner. He wants to win in everything he participates in. We were practicing today and it was like a war out there and he was in the middle of it. Every practice, every sitation he is there stepping up for his team and he wants to win the game for them. He has the character the best Swedish players have had and I coached Peter Forsberg.”

Roger Ronnberg, Frolunda coach.

Good God.  Jack had better not slouch off while Dahlin is on this ice.  Dahlin will kill him.

I also like the idea that he practices with intensity.  If he can bring some of that urgency to our other high talent guys, that alone may vault the Sabres into the playoffs.

Good God. Jack had better not slouch off while Dahlin is on this ice. Dahlin will kill him.

I also like the idea that he practices with intensity. If he can bring some of that urgency to our other high talent guys, that alone may vault the Sabres into the playoffs.

Don't worry, the "leaders" on this team will make sure Dahlin tones down the compete level in practice.

I hope I never get to the point of fandom where I can't be over the moon with my expectations about a prospect as universally revered as Dahlin. Maybe he doesn't get there. So what? Why let disappointment 5 years down the road ruin the experience for me now?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I hope I never get to the point of fandom where I can't be over the moon with my expectations about a prospect as universally revered as Dahlin. Maybe he doesn't get there. So what? Why let disappointment 5 years down the road ruin the experience for me now?

I feel this. I only like to step in when I see things that I think are crazy. Which hasn't happened here as far as I've seen. 

But on hfboards, I got into an argument with a couple of people spouting that his absolute floor is Erik Karlsson. As if it's a guarantee that he can be no worse than a top 5 offensive defenseman to ever play the game. They're out of their minds and we should be thrilled if Dahlin becomes 10% worse than EK, because that would still mean that he's become an amazing defenseman and exactly what we needed. In the same thread where nothing outstanding had been said about Dahlin for a year of draft coverage. Normal conversation about a good #1 prospect in a good draft. And now all of a sudden people are going over the top over there.

That said, his skillset is just sublime and I can't wait for October already.

We live in a day and age where hyperbole in the media is the norm.    It's become a contest between media outlets for clicks, and whoever has the most outrageous headline will garner the most visits (ad revenue).    

That said, we would all be wise to temper our expectations for Dahlin.     The enjoyment will come if he exceeds expectations, not just meets them.

However, I'm thrilled that we're even having this discussion.... we live in a universe (only 1 in 5) where BUF won the lottery.    Let's enjoy it.  

Edited by pi2000

I am so with this.

There have been so many reasons to be down about the Sabres, bask in the sun while it shines.

It is entirely possible he peaks as a Brian Campbell.

It is equally possible he rivals Dom as the greatest Sabre of all time.

I’m not saying it’s likely, but how many prospects could you honestly say that about?

Of course only time and his performance on the ice will show which is closer to the truth.

But only Perreault, Turgeon, Mogilny and Eichel rival his resume as a prospect.

Even if he only equals the worst of those, it is reason to celebrate.

Edited by dudacek

Oh my God this. A million times this.

I feel this. I only like to step in when I see things that I think are crazy. Which hasn't happened here as far as I've seen.

But on hfboards, I got into an argument with a couple of people spouting that his absolute floor is Erik Karlsson. As if it's a guarantee that he can be no worse than a top 5 offensive defenseman to ever play the game. They're out of their minds and we should be thrilled if Dahlin becomes 10% worse than EK, because that would still mean that he's become an amazing defenseman and exactly what we needed. In the same thread where nothing outstanding had been said about Dahlin for a year of draft coverage. Normal conversation about a good #1 prospect in a good draft. And now all of a sudden people are going over the top over there.

Honestly I think many fans were like me. We've lost the lottery several times in the past and the odds of not winning were better than 4 in 5. I wasn't going to start investing hype or interest and be disappointed. I heard the noise. But I refused to look into it and thus end up another bridesmaid.

Search the Rasmus Dahlin prospect thread on hf. Including part 1 (which started when he was 16). The hype has been unreal the past two years but I think many Sabres fans refused to invest time researching a prize that would likely never come....

Oh my God this. A million times this.

Honestly I think many fans were like me. We've lost the lottery several times in the past and the odds of not winning were better than 4 in 5. I wasn't going to start investing hype or interest and be disappointed. I heard the noise. But I refused to look into it and thus end up another bridesmaid.

Search the Rasmus Dahlin prospect thread on hf. Including part 1 (which started when he was 16). The hype has been unreal the past two years but I think many Sabres fans refused to invest time researching a prize that would likely never come....

That's the thing, I've literally had that thread (and Jack Hughes's, and Lafreniere's, and Matthews, and McDavid etc) bookmarked since it was created, I keep up on those threads right from the beginning. I've read it all as its happened. It wasn't nearly as full of hype and hyperbole as McD's and Matthews, and often had discussions putting his prospect status in line with Hedman and Doughty (amazing company), but now on Sabres hf it's literally being said that Karlsson would be a disappointment because Craig Button and Ray Ferraro (guys they trash all the time whenever else it suits them) use over the top comparisons because it's what they do.

That's the thing, I've literally had that thread (and Jack Hughes's, and Lafreniere's, and Matthews, and McDavid etc) bookmarked since it was created, I keep up on those threads right from the beginning. I've read it all as its happened. It wasn't nearly as full of hype and hyperbole as McD's and Matthews, and often had discussions putting his prospect status in line with Hedman and Doughty (amazing company), but now on Sabres hf it's literally being said that Karlsson would be a disappointment because Craig Button and Ray Ferraro (guys they trash all the time whenever else it suits them) use over the top comparisons because it's what they do.

I'm not here to argue with you on EK being his floor. Especially prior to the injury EK was unreal. That's a crazy point.

However, I would dispute the hype not being there until after the lottery. I would never have those prospect threads open as to not lead to disappointment. But I've done f all at work the past week and a half and read every one of the 90 plus pages of Part 1 and 2 on Dahlin and the hype has been incredible and it started in 2016.

I'm not here to argue with you on EK being his floor. Especially prior to the injury EK was unreal. That's a crazy point.

However, I would dispute the hype not being there until after the lottery. I would never have those prospect threads open as to not lead to disappointment. But I've done f all at work the past week and a half and read every one of the 90 plus pages of Part 1 and 2 on Dahlin and the hype has been incredible and it started in 2016.

For comparison, I'm positive that Eichel's thread was on at least part 5 by this time. McDavid's might have been 10. I'll go look actually. 

Hell, just the McDavid versus Eichel prospect thread had 5 editions.

Matthews was on part 7 by the summer.

Nico Hischier's thread on that forum is Dahlin's closest comparable in terms of length, for recent top prospects.

Edited by Randall Flagg

For comparison, I'm positive that Eichel's thread was on at least part 5 by this time. McDavid's might have been 10. I'll go look actually.

Hell, just the McDavid versus Eichel prospect thread had 5 editions.

Matthews was on part 7 by the summer.

Nico Hischier's thread on that forum is Dahlin's closest comparable in terms of length, for recent top prospects.

Fair enough. Only other one I read the whole thing after drafting was Mittlestadt and he only had a part one.

A few Swedish posters who were going on about him from the start said it's because he's from Sweden and nobody in North America ever sees him play. They say if Dahlin was from Toronto or Red Deer, or even Arizona the hype would be out of control. I've heard a couple analysts also saying this. But who knows.

Fair enough. Only other one I read the whole thing after drafting was Mittlestadt and he only had a part one.

A few Swedish posters who were going on about him from the start said it's because he's from Sweden and nobody in North America ever sees him play. They say if Dahlin was from Toronto or Red Deer, or even Arizona the hype would be out of control. I've heard a couple analysts also saying this. But who knows.

Almost certainly true. 

Agree hyperbole can be over the top and yet Dahlin is just one guy. He will help a lot but the Sabres need more. A goalie to step up and some wingers. Hope they can figure a way to sign a FA who can score, but may need to wait for young guys to develop. Here is to hope with tempered expectations.

Edited by North Buffalo

Part of the reason I don't read HF anymore: all prospects are talked about as if they are already at their ceiling. I couldn't take it anymore.

But with Dahlin? Give me all of the irrational exuberance you can. I want it all! If this kid were Canadian and playing in the OHL, I firmly believe his hype (even if the substance isn't quite there) would be at McDavid levels.

Dahlin is a once in a generation player. He's electric with the puck. He's a hard worker and he has a winning attitude. Idk what his ceiling is because he has the ability to redefine the ceiling for all defenders. He's amazing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.