2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

Sooo I'm confused.....

The locker room is an issue? No?

If so, then we need to move out a lot.... But we all went from trading everyone but eichel to.... No Dont get rid of reino, ror, risto,etc etc.

So it's one or the other, we can't just add Dahlin and some kids and expect much better than this year (even with goaltending) and sure we need to shore up our 3rd and 4th lines and depth, but that isn't going to put us where we need to.

We need a major shake up, 1 or 2 of those guys will need to go, the deals need to make sense, but what we have is not working at all, and we will still have eichel, mitts, and Dahlin to build around. We can pull off some trades to make the team "competitive" next year

Sooo I'm confused.....

The locker room is an issue? No?

If so, then we need to move out a lot.... But we all went from trading everyone but eichel to.... No Dont get rid of reino, ror, risto,etc etc.

So it's one or the other, we can't just add Dahlin and some kids and expect much better than this year (even with goaltending) and sure we need to shore up our 3rd and 4th lines and depth, but that isn't going to put us where we need to.

We need a major shake up, 1 or 2 of those guys will need to go, the deals need to make sense, but what we have is not working at all, and we will still have eichel, mitts, and Dahlin to build around. We can pull off some trades to make the team "competitive" next year

I think you may be confusing "shake up" with "core dismantling." 

There maybe nothing we can do with KO, Bogo and Pommers this season because of their bad contracts and in Bogo's case injury which may prevent a buyout.  However, it looks to me that Jbot is going to replace the 2 goalies, 2-4 D from last year, and as many as 7 or 8 forwards that were on this season's opening day roster.  Changing over 14 players from this season opening days roster is a pretty extreme shakeup IMHO. 

I've said this many times, but the issue with this team is lack of talent outside a few players.  From this season's roster only ROR, Jack, Sam and Risto are really core players.  Add Scandella and you have the holdover foundation for next season.  Now kids Casey and Dahlin are added to raise the talent level immediately, but they are still raw and will need time to adjust and grow.  That is this team's foundation.  There is almost no way to remove any of those pieces except maybe Scandella and get close to equal or better return to propel the team forward.  

Jbot's goal this season is to find Jack some wingers and build out the depth at Forward and D.  Recent signees like Pilut and Olofsson may help that cause.

Bottomline:  This is the last transition year IMHO.  I'd like us to improve enough to be over NHL 500 next season.  Then with the growth of kids here and in Roch I think we can push into the playoffs in 2019/20.

I think you may be confusing "shake up" with "core dismantling." 

There maybe nothing we can do with KO, Bogo and Pommers this season because of their bad contracts and in Bogo's case injury which may prevent a buyout.  However, it looks to me that Jbot is going to replace the 2 goalies, 2-4 D from last year, and as many as 7 or 8 forwards that were on this season's opening day roster.  Changing over 14 players from this season opening days roster is a pretty extreme shakeup IMHO. 

I've said this many times, but the issue with this team is lack of talent outside a few players.  From this season's roster only ROR, Jack, Sam and Risto are really core players.  Add Scandella and you have the holdover foundation for next season.  Now kids Casey and Dahlin are added to raise the talent level immediately, but they are still raw and will need time to adjust and grow.  That is this team's foundation.  There is almost no way to remove any of those pieces except maybe Scandella and get close to equal or better return to propel the team forward.  

Jbot's goal this season is to find Jack some wingers and build out the depth at Forward and D.  Recent signees like Pilut and Olofsson may help that cause.

Bottomline:  This is the last transition year IMHO.  I'd like us to improve enough to be over NHL 500 next season.  Then with the growth of kids here and in Roch I think we can push into the playoffs in 2019/20.

Agree, this is how i also see things panning out, another step forward.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/schopp-and-bulldogs-sabre-draft

I'm not exactly sure what they were trying to accomplish.  However some of their late picks are in line with others ideas like Bernier and Fabbri.

Fabbri came from a trade idea that Scott Cullen had, ROR to the Blues for Robby Fabbri and Klim Kostin. Fabbri is fast, but really doesn’t have production and has missed the past season and a half with a knee injury.

Bernier would be a nice signing.

That may well be how it plays out, but I'm definitely hoping we finally get an unexpected hit or two on our prospects and the Sabres make the playoffs this coming season.  The team has underperformed for so long that it's become the default expectation.  This year maybe they'll overperform for a change.  Asplund or Pilut will surprise and contribute right out of the gate or something.  Ullmark will be solid.  Anything.  Surprise me, Sabres.

That may well be how it plays out, but I'm definitely hoping we finally get an unexpected hit or two on our prospects and the Sabres make the playoffs this coming season.  The team has underperformed for so long that it's become the default expectation.  This year maybe they'll overperform for a change.  Asplund or Pilut will surprise and contribute right out of the gate or something.  Ullmark will be solid.  Anything.  Surprise me, Sabres.

That would be great. I think ERod continues to blossom and maybe two of Guhle, Pilut, Olofsson, Smith and O’Regan make a an impact with the Sabres next season. If that happens then we could become a playoff contender and we’d all be thrilled. Call me cautiously optimistic.

That would be great. I think ERod continues to blossom and maybe two of Guhle, Pilut, Olofsson, Smith and O’Regan make a an impact with the Sabres next season. If that happens then we could become a playoff contender and we’d all be thrilled. Call me cautiously optimistic.

We don't need anyone, ever again...we have Dahlin

According to reports out of Sweden and Sweden Federation Lawrence Pilut has been informed he won’t play for Sweden in the World Championships with Swedes from Nashville joining the team. He’s now free to sign with the #Sabres at any time.

Per Chad Domincis

I have a feeling, probably based on wish fulfillment, that they simply let Lehner walk after failing in trying to trade him. Khudobin SEEMS like an underrated goalie but I wonder if he might fall apart and his weaknesses exposed if he wasn't behind that solid D that Boston puts in front of him. Bernier might be a good stop gap guy but I doubt we sign him, he will probably resign where he is. 

That's not just ur feeling. At this point I would be surprised if he isn't allowed to walk. No was Sabres pay that qualify offer and no way a team trades for him and then has to pay him that either.

Only way is if the writing is so on the wall that nobody pays his qualifying offer than maybe he agrees to a two year deal for a lesser amount. Even then it's very unlikely the Sabres want to go down that road.

No, this is definitely not how you fix the locker room/culture. I do not see him as a good influence on our kids. Likely the opposite. 

Could you expand on that?  Vanek never had any kind of rep that I'm aware of that would want you to keep him away from developing superstars.  Other than a gambling habit, maybe?  Did he have a rep regarding poor work habits and late nights at the bars/clubs?

Could you expand on that?  Vanek never had any kind of rep that I'm aware of that would want you to keep him away from developing superstars.  Other than a gambling habit, maybe?  Did he have a rep regarding poor work habits and late nights at the bars/clubs?

Vanek Face.  Isn't that enough?

thomas-vanek-drew-stafford-2009-10-2-10-

The only super alarming thing about Vanek to me is one that nfreeman has voiced concern over - not one team of the ~8 that have added Vanek to their roster at a trade deadline or July 1 in the last few years has decided to keep him past the following trade deadline/July 1, essentially.

Also, slow and defense. But goals. 

Eccentric offseason: Offer sheet Trouba at ~8 million, creating cap problems for Winnipeg, where they ultimately accept a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2019. 

Trade Ristolainen and O'Reilly for Pesce, Teravainen, and Rask. 

Add Riley Nash, Mark Letestu, and Matt Calvert for a "finally not pile of trash" fourth line. 

McCabe, Mittelstadt, Nylander, and a 2nd for Holtby, Orpik, Orlov, and Wilson. 

Get ready to make a run at Panarin in the following offseason

Teravainen - Eichel - Wilson

Competition - Reinhart - Baptiste 

Rodrigues - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Orlov - Trouba

Dahlin - Pesce

Scandella - Nelson/Bogosian

Holtby 

Ullmark

The following season:

Panarin - Eichel - Wilson

Teravainen - Reinhart - Baptiste

Erod - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Dahlin - Trouba

Scandella  - Pesce

Orlov - Nelson

Holtby

Ullmark

*Flagg endorses none of this. He is simply bored and throwing at the wall. Be nice to him. 

That defense is absolutely ludicrous, that team probably doesn't fit under the cap, but imagine a defense with Dahlin and Trouba, and 3 more 3D behind them, WITH Eichel/Panarin/Teravainen/Reinhart as forwards 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.