2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

So you want to gut our center depth... no. Nothing like having a bunch of wingers and Jack to make the team suck.

*Flagg endorses none of this. 

A little bigger for ya

FTR, I think that team 

a.) doesn't fit under the cap

b.) would win at least 2 playoff rounds

Edited by Randall Flagg

that team won't make the playoffs.

You're out of your mind. 

Trouba is the best defender on the Jets and is still young enough to get better. Coupled with Dahlin, Pesce, who is a 2D, and Scandella, and Orlov, who is another top 3 D, with Holtby in net, and upgrading our forward points scored by a sizable amount, doesn't make the playoffs?

That team is a cup contender.

Edited by Randall Flagg

You aren't upgrading the forward talent. You're trading center depth for wing depth.

By wing depth, you mean adding 164 points to the top lines in exchange for ROR and his 60, right? 

Look, I said it was a wild thing just because I was bored and that I woudln't even do the moves myself, so I was expecting heat because even though we ###### suck and are by far the worst franchise in the NHL over the last 5 years people are still overprotective towards our roster, but calling a team with

5 defensemen considered 3D or better, and 4 that play top pairing roles well, 2 of them likely bona-fide Norris-contending 1D (Dahlin, Trouba)

an 82 point winger, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, and a 64 point winger bolstered by an average 3rd line and perhaps the best 4th line in the league 

Brayden Holtby in net 

not a playoff team, is patently absurd 

Edited by Randall Flagg

From Jim Toth Winnipeg Radio Host

Source tells me #NHLJets Jacob Trouba has informed his agent he wants to remain a Jet & sign long term. Agent Kurt Overhardt has declined to comment. Won't play out till this summer & does not mean a deal will get done but have been told the desire & wish is to stay in #Winnipeg

It's not a playoffs team. I'll roll my best defensive unit against your top line and attack the rest of the time. Reinhart isn't a great center. Rask won't be as good as Mittelstadt in another year. The rest of your wings are meh.

I like Trouba but doubt he'll ever win the Norris. You're sacrificing center depth and depth overall for defense. That team might win of they play a 1-3-1 trap. Sounds boring to me.

Also I can have 4 defenders considered top 3 at the start of next year... Dahlin, Risto, Scandella and one of Pilut, McCabe, or Guhle.

Why am I even arguing this. Have at it.

Buffalo in 2017-18

EROD (25 in 48) - Eichel (64 in 67) - Okposo (44)

Pouliot (19) - ROR (61) - Reinhart (50)

Baptiste (6 in 33) - Larsson (17) Pominville (34)

Wilson (14) - Girgensons (15) - Nolan (8)

Scandella (22) - Ristolainen (41)

McCabe (12 in 53) - Falk (2 in 46)

Antipin (10 in 47) - Beaulieu (9 in 59)

Nelson (8 in 37)

Guhle (5 in 18)

Lehner

Johnson 

Winnipeg Jets 2017-18

Wheeler (91) - Scheifele (60 in 60) - Connor (57)

Ehlers (60) - Little (43) - Laine (70)

Armia (29) - Perreault (39) - Copp (28)

Tanev (18) - Lowry (21) - Roslovic (14)

Morrissey (26) - Trouba (24 in 55)

Enstrom (9) - Byfuglien (45) 

Kulikov (11 in 62) - Myers (36)

Hellebyuck

Flagg's Roster

Panarin (82) - Eichel (64 in 67) - Wilson (35)

Teravainen (64) - Reinhart (50) - Baptiste (weak link) 

EROD (25 in 48) - Rask (31 in 71) - Okposo (44) 

Nash (41) - Letestu (23) - Calvert (24)

Dahlin (100 Pts, Norris, Hart) - Trouba (24 in 55) 

Scandella (22) - Pesce (19 in 65)

Orlov (31) - Nelson (8 in 37)

Holtby 

You gotta give to get, and it's not fun to lose ROR, but 157 points from our centers rises to 168, so I don't think I've actually hurt our center depth that badly, I've downgraded ROR to Sam but significantly upgraded the area of our forward group that is the weakness in the first place, depth scoring at C AND on the wings. And instead of playing with Pominville in Girgensons, Eich daddy gets a premiere superstar and an effective space-maker that has helped another line of superstars click all season long (Kuzy and Ovie), while building the best defense in the NHL (Scandella-Pesce would easily be a top 3 shutdown pair, and nobody has Dahlin-Trouba on top of that, much less a 2/3D on their 3rd pairing behind it all)

So upon further reflection, I wholeheartedly endorse this offseason plan (and know it's impossible, because there's no way we can improve our team this much in one or even three offseasons IMO)

Get it done Botterill!!!

It's not a playoffs team. I'll roll my best defensive unit against your top line and attack the rest of the time. Reinhart isn't a great center. Rask won't be as good as Mittelstadt in another year. The rest of your wings are meh.

I like Trouba but doubt he'll ever win the Norris. You're sacrificing center depth and depth overall for defense. That team might win of they play a 1-3-1 trap. Sounds boring to me.

Also I can have 4 defenders considered top 3 at the start of next year... Dahlin, Risto, Scandella and one of Pilut, McCabe, or Guhle.

Further analysis makes this even more laughable! 

Edited by Randall Flagg

You made depth scoring worse. This literally assumes Mittelstadt doesn't exist this season except as a trade piece. It gives the toughest defensive minutes to Rask and Reinhart. It guts the depth of the team. That team is a one pump chump. You either win it all in year one or you're .

You made depth scoring worse. This literally assumes Mittelstadt doesn't exist this season except as a trade piece. It gives the toughest defensive minutes to Rask and Reinhart. It guts the depth of the team. That team is a one pump chump. You either win it all in year one or you're ######.

No I didn't. If you call our bottom two lines "depth scoring", they go from 84 points to 188. 

The top six goes from 263 to 256, so you got me there. *Switches EROD and Baptiste* There! Now we improve the bottom six by 85 points instead of by 104, and improve the top six by 12 as well. 

And sure, losing Mittelstadt's potential, whatever that may be, isn't fun, but also adding a PPG superstar is pretty fun. 

All of that even ignores making our defense from the dreck that it is into the best unit in the NHL. *continues tooting my own horn obnoxiously*

I think I deserve a Nobel prize for this roster, personally. 

No I didn't. If you call our bottom two lines "depth scoring", they go from 84 points to 188.

The top six goes from 263 to 256, so you got me there. *Switches EROD and Baptiste* There! Now we improve the bottom six by 85 points instead of by 104, and improve the top six by 12 as well.

Reinhart just got hurt. Who plays center?

Reinhart can't play center, his production drops low. In turn his line mate production drops.

Rask gets his 31 but in 2 years Mittelstadt is getting 62.

Panarin drops back to 72pts instead of 82. Teams put their best players out against Jack's line.

Your 4th line is another year older, cut their production by 20% because age. Nash sees his ice time go from 16:53 to 12:53. His production drops.

All possible.

And sure, losing Mittelstadt's potential, whatever that may be, isn't fun, but also adding a PPG superstar is pretty fun.

All of that even ignores making our defense from the dreck that it is into the best unit in the NHL. *continues tooting my own horn obnoxiously*

I think I deserve a Nobel prize for this roster, personally.

Ok Donald.

Reinhart just got hurt. Who plays center?

Reinhart can't play center, his production drops low. In turn his line mate production drops.

Rask gets his 31 but in 2 years Mittelstadt is getting 62.

Panarin drops back to 72pts instead of 82. Teams put their best players out against Jack's line.

Your 4th line is another year older, cut their production by 20% because age. Nash sees his ice time go from 16:53 to 12:53. His production drops.

All possible.

Ok Donald.

The same thing is true now - when Eich got hurt, we rolled what, ROR - Rodrigues - Larsson - Girgensons. It happens! 

The peg is one injury away from Scheifele - Copp - Lowry - Dano. Vegas? Nosek - Haula - ...what is left? Washington without backstrom was rolling Eller - Kuznetsov - Stephenson - Beagle. 

I bet Donald gets one. 

But really, you could argue those same theoreticals about any lineup in the NHL, and they'll all have varying strong and weak points. 

My over the top, over the cap lineup is still a cup contender after all of that, because of the beefy defense, shored up depth, and stability in goal. 

Fight me! 

Eccentric offseason: Offer sheet Trouba at ~8 million, creating cap problems for Winnipeg, where they ultimately accept a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2019.

Trade Ristolainen and O'Reilly for Pesce, Teravainen, and Rask.

Add Riley Nash, Mark Letestu, and Matt Calvert for a "finally not pile of trash" fourth line.

McCabe, Mittelstadt, Nylander, and a 2nd for Holtby, Orpik, Orlov, and Wilson.

Get ready to make a run at Panarin in the following offseason

Teravainen - Eichel - Wilson

Competition - Reinhart - Baptiste

Rodrigues - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Orlov - Trouba

Dahlin - Pesce

Scandella - Nelson/Bogosian

Holtby

Ullmark

The following season:

Panarin - Eichel - Wilson

Teravainen - Reinhart - Baptiste

Erod - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Dahlin - Trouba

Scandella - Pesce

Orlov - Nelson

Holtby

Ullmark

*Flagg endorses none of this. He is simply bored and throwing ###### at the wall. Be nice to him.

That defense is absolutely ludicrous, that team probably doesn't fit under the cap, but imagine a defense with Dahlin and Trouba, and 3 more 3D behind them, WITH Eichel/Panarin/Teravainen/Reinhart as forwards

You lost me at 8 mil for Trouba. I watch lots of Jets games here, he’s not anywhere near that good.

Doubt he comes close.

Edited by Thorny

Now I can plug Mittelstadt in or Reinhart if ROR goes down. With you, no option.

I bet after yesterday, peace prize.

Plugging in Mitts doesn't do anything good for us for a few years yet. 

All fun aside, I broadly agree with your inclination towards center depth. It's why I wouldn't actually give up ROR without clear overpayment coming back, that would objectively make us better. 

I'm still looking to move out one core piece even with the fun that this offseason has been so far. 

I don't think we'll get value that we need for ROR. I don't think Reinhart gets us an upgrade now, and I think he has upside that could make a trade sting in the future. 

So I think Risto is going to be the guy. And I think Edmonton might be a target. 

I'm not trading any of our core unless the trade makes us blatantly better.

I'm not trading Risto for anything short of Draisital on EDM. I'm not taking pieces or cap dumps or picks, they either give us a player of similar importance or I'm keeping our young defenseman. 

So I think Risto is going to be the guy. And I think Edmonton might be a target. 

I know you dislike Risto, but that doesn't mean we need to trade him.

Edited by dewookieen

I'm not trading any of our core unless the trade makes us blatantly better.

I'm not trading Risto for anything short of Draisital on EDM. I'm not taking pieces or cap dumps or picks, they either give us a player of similar importance or I'm keeping our young defenseman. 

I know you dislike Risto, but that doesn't mean we need to trade him.

Oh, I'm separating my view of Risto from Botterill's there. I think that HE wants to trade Risto, and I think Edmonton wants to trade for Risto. 

Oh, I'm separating my view of Risto from Botterill's there. I think that HE wants to trade Risto, and I think Edmonton wants to trade for Risto. 

I don't see that, he'd be rather dumb to do so and I just don't see Botts being that stupid barring Chia handing over the equivalent of his 1st born

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.