2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

Our wingers are atrocious

If we don’t acquire more this offseason capable of playing in a top 6 roll, we really should be looking at moving one of ROR or Mittelstadt to LW for the time being.

Eichel, Reinhart, O’Reilly, Mittelstadt. All natural centres and our 4 best forwards skill wise. Reinhart already shifted to the wing and has benefited.

If we don’t acquire more this offseason capable of playing in a top 6 roll, we really should be looking at moving one of ROR or Mittelstadt to LW for the time being.

Eichel, Reinhart, O’Reilly, Mittelstadt. All natural centres and our 4 best forwards skill wise. Reinhart already shifted to the wing and has benefited.

What we need is a pest. This team distinctly lacks one of those guys who is just a huge pain in the ass. Aggressive on the forecheck, can score, maybe a little dirty.

What we need is a pest. This team distinctly lacks one of those guys who is just a huge pain in the ass. Aggressive on the forecheck, can score, maybe a little dirty.

I wonder if we could attract Evander Kane?

Wait.... wat?

Edited by We've

So, now that we have some roster flexibility, who can we move to get a playoff ready goaltender?  And do we consider that a good option?

I'm down for pulling the trigger on an honest hockey trade to bring in a playoff goalie.

So, now that we have some roster flexibility, who can we move to get a playoff ready goaltender?  And do we consider that a good option?

I'm down for pulling the trigger on an honest hockey trade to bring in a playoff goalie.

I hate not having a quality go to goalie. We never had that this past season. The uncertainty going into games sucks when the tandem isn't sharp.

So, now that we have some roster flexibility, who can we move to get a playoff ready goaltender? And do we consider that a good option?

I don't like trading for goalies. I think you always end up overpaying. Maybe if you can get a deal on a guy that a team has soured on for no good reason? Or a veteran guy on a team that is going to tank?

There aren't many goalies out there that I covet. I know some people think Washington is the obvious place to pick someone up from because of Grubauer and Holtby. I would take either guy.

I might look to Vegas who seems to have a good goalie prospect pool. Do they move on from Fleury and would you want him?

My personal choice is Miller because he'll be cheap and can platoon with Ullmark. But I don't think he fits your "playoff goalie" request.

Would you take Lundqvist from NY if they retained salary or took a bad contract off our hands? I might.

Saros from Nashville could be a target.

Not much else out there that I'm interested in.

I'm taking a break from writing (see: procrastinating), so I perused every roster. The only viable situation I see is Washington. 

I'm taking a break from writing (see: procrastinating), so I perused every roster. The only viable situation I see is Washington. 

What is a fair value trade for one of Washington's goalies?

IMO goalie has just become priority #1.

Edited by We've

Probably picks and prospects. The Caps don't really need much as far as roster players go. They have plenty of cap space to lock down their D free agents which is their only area of need. I could even see them qualifying Grubauer and then trading him during the season if they end up having a need somewhere. But I don't think they have to trade either of their goalies, which makes them a tough trade partner.

Probably picks and prospects. The Caps don't really need much as far as roster players go. They have plenty of cap space to lock down their D free agents which is their only area of need. I could even see them qualifying Grubauer and then trading him during the season if they end up having a need somewhere. But I don't think they have to trade either of their goalies, which makes them a tough trade partner.

Would you be willing to take on Orpik's salary to get Grubauer?

Beaulieu for Hagelin straight up?

Edited by dewookieen

Here's another idea

I tried to find a nice mix of vets and speed, and as for the high cap dumps

2019 Contracts that end of not:

Pominville 5.6mil

Orpik 5.5mil

Moulson 5mil (Granted 1mil was saved during the season)

Hagelin 4 mil

Vanek 3.25mil

Kruger 3.08mil (Granted 1mil was saved during the season)

Hendricks 2mil

I'm attempting to maximize our cap space while we have the opportunity to use it to gain further assets.

I have seen a lot of talk about moving on from RoR (which I support) and Risto (which I do not support, unless some GM is stupid and we get back a Taylor Hall) now that we are going to draft Dahlin.

What would a reasonable trade involving RoR actaully be?  You have to think he carries a lot of weight around the league, defensively responsible, one of the top faceoff guys, sure he had those year end comments, but, I would think most GMs could understand all the losing he has been through.  This morning he was named Alt Capt of Team Canada.  

Assuming we draft Dahlin and do not trade Risto, Scandella, Guhle coming up and McCabe healing from a nagging year long injury, are we set at D or do we try to trade RoR for another 2/3 D-man?

I honeslty have no idea where to begin with a RoR trade, his value, and what we can get in return.  Thoughts?

What about ROR, rights to Lehner, Bogo and 4th rd pick to Islanders for Kiefer Bellows, #12 pick and Brock Nelson.

If you take out Lehner (irrelevant piece) and Bogosian (negative value addition), we might be able to trade ROR for Nelson, and one of the two other pieces.

Nelson is a left shot who could play on Jack’s wing (and has) who is a perennial 20 goal scorer who’s still only 26. Kiefer is an A prospect and so will be the 12th pick. As of typing this out I find myself struggling to believe we could fetch Nelson and Bellows for ROR. I would probably make that trade, so it’s probably short on value from our end. Maybe add a 2nd.

Edited by Thorny

I truly think this is a watershed moment and I hope they don't blow it. If they just tinker now and stand pat on things it'll be a huge mistake. 

I think what you have to do is take this as the reset moment (the one we all hoped we had after the tank but didn't get). You take this as the dawn of a new day and build the entire team around Eichel, Dahlin and youth. Some of it won't work right away, but you have to begin the process and the uphill climb.

so:

1. draft Dahlin.

2. ditch/trade/buy out whatever it takes as many albatross contracts as possible. Marginalize the role of whatever you're stuck with.

3. trade or ditch ANYONE and EVERYONE who they have (presumably) identified as lacking a work ethic or has a so so attitude, quits, etc. No more country club.

4. do not bring in a bunch of money hungry, lazy or has been veterans to fill the gaps, use the kids instead.

5. change the assistant coaches or add more to make sure we have good teachers on staff

6. build a new young line up with fast kids and younger talent.

Sure, they'll make mistakes and they'll need to grow, but hopefully then they do it as a GROUP and they do it by playing the system and with desire and we start to move up in the standings and in a few years are a force to be reckoned with.

If we just swap a few bodies, it'll be same old same old, I'm old enough to have seen it all before. 

Come on Sabres, it's time for a NEW ERA to begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.