2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

I don't see that, he'd be rather dumb to do so and I just don't see Botts being that stupid barring Chia handing over the equivalent of his 1st born

You could be right. My belief is based on:

1.) Botts calling Risto "just a top 4D" instead of a top-pairing D BEFORE it was cool, last offseason

2.) Botts not mentioning him in a recent interview when talking about his core

3.) Botts' general need to shake up the core and acknowledgement that he needs to do so, coupled with reaffirming his desire to keep ROR and mentioning Reinhart in his core

4.) Rumors that Risto is a locker room/coaching problem

1.) Botts calling Risto "just a top 4D" instead of a top-pairing D BEFORE it was cool, last offseason  (He's likely a 2-3, so that makes sense)

2.) Botts not mentioning him in a recent interview when talking about his core (GMs rarely mention every player, remember the time before that he mentioned Risto and forgot ROR which had people up in arms)

3.) Botts' general need to shake up the core and acknowledgement that he needs to do so, coupled with reaffirming his desire to keep ROR and mentioning Reinhart in his core. (I actually doubt he does with the Dahlin pick, before he was likely prepping us for trading ROR/Reinhart to get another Dman) 

4.) Rumors that Risto is a locker room/coaching problem (Aside from Paul Hamilton, has anyone else actually said meep about this?)

And again, if he trades Risto; Botterill better get a king's ransom and then some. Not prospects or picks but Taylor Hall-esc, so not RNH. 

Edited by dewookieen

Eccentric offseason: Offer sheet Trouba at ~8 million, creating cap problems for Winnipeg, where they ultimately accept a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2019. 

Trade Ristolainen and O'Reilly for Pesce, Teravainen, and Rask. 

Add Riley Nash, Mark Letestu, and Matt Calvert for a "finally not pile of trash" fourth line. 

McCabe, Mittelstadt, Nylander, and a 2nd for Holtby, Orpik, Orlov, and Wilson. 

Get ready to make a run at Panarin in the following offseason

Teravainen - Eichel - Wilson

Competition - Reinhart - Baptiste 

Rodrigues - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Orlov - Trouba

Dahlin - Pesce

Scandella - Nelson/Bogosian

Holtby 

Ullmark

The following season:

Panarin - Eichel - Wilson

Teravainen - Reinhart - Baptiste

Erod - Rask - Okposo

Nash - Letestu - Calvert

Dahlin - Trouba

Scandella  - Pesce

Orlov - Nelson

Holtby

Ullmark

*Flagg endorses none of this. He is simply bored and throwing ###### at the wall. Be nice to him. 

That defense is absolutely ludicrous, that team probably doesn't fit under the cap, but imagine a defense with Dahlin and Trouba, and 3 more 3D behind them, WITH Eichel/Panarin/Teravainen/Reinhart as forwards 

My eye still twitches at seeing Wilson that far up the lineup.

1.) Botts calling Risto "just a top 4D" instead of a top-pairing D BEFORE it was cool, last offseason

2.) Botts not mentioning him in a recent interview when talking about his core

3.) Botts' general need to shake up the core and acknowledgement that he needs to do so, coupled with reaffirming his desire to keep ROR and mentioning Reinhart in his core

4.) Rumors that Risto is a locker room/coaching problem

So if it’s Edmonton what’s the return?

They’re dangling 10 but I sure don’t want to give up Risto for that.

Klefbom and what?

Risto and what for Klefbom and 10?

So if it’s Edmonton what’s the return?

They’re dangling 10 but I sure don’t want to give up Risto for that.

Klefbom and what?

Risto and what for Klefbom and 10?

Klefbom probably, with other pieces being added on both sides to fix value depending on how the two GMs see Risto and Oscar. I haven't watched enough Oilers this year to really know how good Klefbom is but Jason and Peter sure have ideas I'd imagine. 

The bare minimum for Risto to EDM for me would be

Yamamoto, Klefbom, and #10 for Risto and our 4th.

The biggest problem wit trading Risto is the lack of grit and ice munching we'd have on the back end.

That's a helluva haul. 

Let's hope Chia views Risto that highly. 

I would need to do actual research, but I wouldn't be surprised if I wound up deciding that Risto-Klefbom straight up was fair :P 

What we haven’t made much of is that the Sabres have cost certainty on most of their key pieces and are rife with cheap young players that are NHL ready or close to it - Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Pilut, Nelson, Rodrigues, Guhle, Ullmark and all those Amerk wingers.

Assuming the majority of RFAs sign for about their qualifying offers, which they should, and that we buy nobody out, we will have about $19 million to spend this summer, including on Sam Reinhart and Robin Lehner/his replacement.

That’s enough to acquire at least two significant pieces, especially since Bogo, Scandella, Pominville Beaulieu and Moulson’s more than $20 million are off the books before we need to buck up for Casey and Rasmus Junior.

We are in a great spot to benefit from somebody else’s cap crunch this summer kinda like we benefitted from Minnesota’s squeeze last summer. Who are some good targets?

Assuming we give all our RFAs qualifying offers (Kasdorf won’t get one and Antipin won’t accept his) we have six contract spots available. You have to give one to Dahlin and Id like to see Asplund get another.

$5.0 Moulson $10 Eichel $6.0 Okposo

$1.6 Girgensons $7.5 O’Reilly $5.4 Pominville

$0.7* Wilson $1.5 Larsson $0.9* Reinhart

$0.7 Rodrigues $0.9 Mittelstadt $0.8* Baptiste

$0.9* Smith $0.9* O’Regan $0.9* Fasching

$0.9 Nylander $0.9 Malone $0.8* Bailey

$0.8 Olofsson $0.9 Oglevie $0.8 Pu

$0.7 Karabacek $0.7 Criscuolo $0.7 Cornel

$0.7 Porter (Asplund) $0.7 Griffith

$4.0 Scandella $5.4 Ristolainen

$2.4 Beaulieu $5.1 Bogosian

$1.6 McCabe $0.8 Nelson

$0.9 Pilut $0.9* Antipin

$0.8 Guhle $0.8 Borgen

$0.7 Stephens $0.7 Tennyson

$0.7 Martin $0.7 Fedun

(Budik) (Dahlin)

$4.0 Lehner $0.8 Ullmark $0.8 Johansen $0.6* Kasdorf

*RFA qualifying offer

Edited by dudacek

What we haven’t made much of is that the Sabres have cost certainty on most of their key pieces and are rife with cheap young players that are NHL ready or close to it - Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Pilut, Nelson, Rodrigues, Guhle, Ullmark and all those Amerk wingers.

Assuming the majority of RFAs sign for about their qualifying offers, which they should, and that we buy nobody out, we will have about $19 million to spend this summer, including on Sam Reinhart and Robin Lehner/his replacement.

That’s enough to acquire at least two significant pieces, especially since Bogo, Scandella, Pominville Beaulieu and Moulson’s more than $20 million are off the books before we need to buck up for Casey and Rasmus Junior.

We are in a great spot to benefit from somebody else’s cap crunch this summer kinda like we benefitted from Minnesota’s squeeze last summer. Who are some good targets?

Dumba, or one of Minny's other D should they give Dumba what he probably deserves. 

I would maybe say Pittsburgh but there's not a lot there that I'd want

Not sure how the Jets' cap situation is but Tanev, Lowry, and Armia are very, very good role/depth players that are RFAs and could be sacrificed. Or maybe they free up a guy like Perreault to stabilize our 3rd line and cost little. 

Maybe Washington would like to keep Carlson, and we take Orpik plus a nice piece to help them do so. 

Ottawa perpetually wants to shed money. Stone is set for a big raise. Maybe there's a chance we can grab Pageau's >$3 mil salary. Stay far away from RFA Ceci though. 

I'm almost certain Tampa will try to dump Killorn, as guys like Point and Gourde emerge and will need to be paid soon (Don't forget that Kucherov is going to increase his cap hit by at least 6.5 million as well) I could even see a guy like Palat, who would look freaking amazing next to Jack, be available for less than you might think.

I could see Anisimov moving.

Patrick Berglund

By wing depth, you mean adding 164 points to the top lines in exchange for ROR and his 60, right?

Look, I said it was a wild thing just because I was bored and that I woudln't even do the moves myself, so I was expecting heat because even though we ###### suck and are by far the worst franchise in the NHL over the last 5 years people are still overprotective towards our roster, but calling a team with

5 defensemen considered 3D or better, and 4 that play top pairing roles well, 2 of them likely bona-fide Norris-contending 1D (Dahlin, Trouba)

an 82 point winger, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, and a 64 point winger bolstered by an average 3rd line and perhaps the best 4th line in the league

Brayden Holtby in net

not a playoff team, is patently absurd

I wonder how long it would take Eichel to figure out you're actually GMTM in disguise and fire you.

You lost me at 8 mil for Trouba. I watch lots of Jets games here, he’s not anywhere near that good.

Doubt he comes close.

Exactly what went though my mind, almost didn't read the rest after haha. I wouldn't believe you if you told me he was even nominated. Average 2nd pair d IMO

I wonder how long it would take Eichel to figure out you're actually GMTM in disguise and fire you.

Exactly what went though my mind, almost didn't read the rest after haha. I wouldn't believe you if you told me he was even nominated. Average 2nd pair d IMO

Psh, GMTM didn't acquire any GOOD players. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

duda, another name from Minnesota to watch for is Charlie Coyle, since Zucker needs a new deal and just scored 33 goals. How would HE be for an upgrade to Wilson on the ROR-Reinhart line?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.