2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

so who do we keep? you want to gut the best players? ROR, Okposo, Risto? wtf

I believe that our core needs to be changed.  I chose Risto because I think he is the player that our HC and GM are talking about when they refer to players not listening to what they're being told.  I also chose ROR because of the comments that he made at the end of the year.  Losing has a way of really working on the psyche of a player.  I think these two players would bring us 2 things that are vital to moving forward:  a change in the locker room and new players that would be acquired via trades.

JBOTs was on Wyshinski’s ESPN podcast today. I shall paraphrase salient points:

1. Dahlin is good.

2. Team was awful and needs to improve 5v5. See #1. (Though gave the standard phony nothing’s ever 100% when asked if he was definitely picking him).

3. Goaltending was nowhere good enough last season. This season it’ll be Ullmark and.... somebody else.

4. ROR was just telling the truth in the moment when he gave “those quotes”. Still counting on him going forward.

5. Rattled off the young talent on the team he’s looking to build around. Risto’s name was nowhere near his lips. Make of that what you will.

Linky: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/espn-on-ice-with-wyshynski-and-kaplan/id205946918?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fespnradio%2Fpodcast%3Fid%3D23383918

Sure, give them all another year or two, maybe then we can win some more draft lotteries. 

I didn't say that at all, and didn't infer it either. I'm not trying to imply that we should be happy with the status quo by any means. Okposo had a down year with a mixture of injury/health issues and sub par production for his contract and he is signed to a long term deal for more money than he's worth. Unless you want to pay a really steep price (like adding Mittelstadt or next year's 1st rounder with him in a package) no team is going to be interested in trading for him. It sucks but that's the way it goes.

They can easily shed Gorges, Pouliot, Nolan, Josefson, and Chad Johnson with no effort at all (just don't resign them). The next guys on the list to ship off are Moulson and Pominville who will only have a year remaining and we should also be trying to rid ourselves of Bogosian and his 2 remaining years. If Okposo gets healthy and returns to form we'll have lucked out and if he doesn't he'll have one or two less years remaining on his contract making it easier/less expensive to move him in a year or two. Despite his regression and contract he's still the second most productive winger on this roster after Reinhart so there's bigger fish to fry at the moment but not even a tanking team is going to want him while he still has 5 years left on his contract.

Sure, give them all another year or two, maybe then we can win some more draft lotteries. 

winning next year would be huge.

I believe that our core needs to be changed.  I chose Risto because I think he is the player that our HC and GM are talking about when they refer to players not listening to what they're being told.  I also chose ROR because of the comments that he made at the end of the year.  Losing has a way of really working on the psyche of a player.  I think these two players would bring us 2 things that are vital to moving forward:  a change in the locker room and new players that would be acquired via trades.

I have a hard time believing they were talking about him. why do you say that?

Would they really play a guy 30 mins a night if he wasn't listening to the coach?

winning next year would be huge.

I have a hard time believing they were talking about him. why do you say that?

Would they really play a guy 30 mins a night if he wasn't listening to the coach?

No coach is playing a guy 30 minutes who isn't listening. He might bench him a shift or two for stupid mistake. We aren’t trading ROR either. Tell me how we replace them. I also don't think we are making a major trade acquisition. We don't have the assets to trade.

Dahlin and Casey makes the chips fall into place even without a major acquisition.

ERod Eichel Okposo - Toronto uses Connor Brown and Hyman with Matthews

Olofsson ROR Reinhart

Smith Mittelstadt Baptiste

Wilson O’Regan Pominville/Bailey

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Dahlin

Pilut Bogo/Nelson

Baloo Guhle (starts in Roch)

Grubauer Ullmark

SJ first for Grubauer after SJ re-signs Kane.

No coach is playing a guy 30 minutes who isn't listening. He might bench him a shift or two for stupid mistake. We aren’t trading ROR either. Tell me how we replace them. I also don't think we are making a major trade acquisition. We don't have the assets to trade.

Dahlin and Casey makes the chips fall into place even without a major acquisition.

Olofsson ROR Reinhart

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Dahlin

Pilut Bogo/Nelson

Grubauer Ullmark

Like the look of this, hopefully Oloffson comes in and makes an impact. Also like that 3rd line.

Olofsson ROR Reinhart

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Dahlin

Pilut Bogo/Nelson

Grubauer Ullmark

That's A LOT of hope in that lineup in which O'Regan, Smith, Baptiste, and Olofsson are ready for full time NHL minutes.

Trade another 1st for a goalie?  Sabres fans would lose their minds at another Lehner(ish) like trade.

That's A LOT of hope in that lineup in which O'Regan, Smith, Baptiste, and Olofsson are ready for full time NHL minutes.

Trade another 1st for a goalie?  Sabres fans would lose their minds at another Lehner(ish) like trade.

To paraphrase the kids game, ready or not here they come.

At some point we are going to have to take the training wheels off, stop bringing in the Nolans and Josefsons of the world and let the kids play. Olofsson has speed, was the leading scorer in Sweden and plays around the net. Shouldn’t be to hard for that kind of winger to adjust to NA and we are desperate for scoring. Baptiste has already won a spot and Smith, a Jbot college guy, was the lesding scorer for the Amerks about to be called up until he got hurt. I may be out somewhat out on a limb, but not to far.

Yeah, I hated sending a first in 2015 to Ott for Lehner because of his injury history and taking back a big contract as well. It was and is a huge over payment. Grubauer is a more proven goalie, the first is 2019, another year away, and I kind of look at as Kane for O’Regan, Grubauer and a pick.

At some point we are going to have to take the training wheels off, stop bringing in the Nolans and Josefsons of the world and let the kids play.

If the kids are alright, then yeah.  Remember the stated JBot method for teambuilding:  From the farm team up.  If talent is ready for the NHL (not just to survive, but to excel), expect them up on the big club.  But I don't see JBot rushing the process and stripping the cupboard bare in Rochester.

What we'll probably see is something in between, probably Bailey and Baptiste, maybe one or two others, but there will still be some Josefsons and Pouliots.

Edited by Doohickie

If the kids are alright, then yeah.  Remember the stated JBot method for teambuilding:  From the farm team up.  If talent is ready for the NHL (not just to survive, but to excel), expect them up on the big club.  But I don't see JBot rushing the process and stripping the cupboard bare in Rochester.

What we'll probably see is something in between, probably Bailey and Baptiste, maybe one or two others, but there will still be some Josefsons and Pouliots.

Even adding/bringing up the 4 guys I mentioned doesn't even come close to stripping Roch bare.  First, Olofsson has never played for the Amerks and O'Regan (15 pts in 18 games) only for a few months following the trade deadline.  Roch is adding Pu, Asplund and college FA Oglevie to more then off-set the 3 Amerks I took.  Plus guys like Cornel, Malone, Griffith, Criscuolo, Porter, Nylander, Fasching and Blackwell will all likely still be there.  That's 11 forwards already destined for Roch without O'Regan, Smith and Olofsson. 

Like the look of this, hopefully Oloffson comes in and makes an impact. Also like that 3rd line.

I like the 3rd line as well.  Not a lot of pressure to produce, but lots of talent and speed with Casey's excellent hockey IQ leading the way.  Also I like putting Casey with the still young but more experienced Baptiste and Smith who have fought their way onto the Sabres roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

At some point we are going to have to take the training wheels off, stop bringing in the Nolans and Josefsons of the world and let the kids play. Olofsson has speed, was the leading scorer in Sweden and plays around the net. Shouldn’t be to hard for that kind of winger to adjust to NA and we are desperate for scoring. Baptiste has already won a spot and Smith, a Jbot college guy, was the lesding scorer for the Amerks about to be called up until he got hurt. I may be out somewhat out on a limb, but not to far.

Yeah, I hated sending a first in 2015 to Ott for Lehner because of his injury history and taking back a big contract as well. It was and is a huge over payment. Grubauer is a more proven goalie, the first is 2019, another year away, and I kind of look at as Kane for O’Regan, Grubauer and a pick.

All fair points, I think I am not as positive about some of the youngers guys as you are, that's all, but you're right, might as well give them a shot instead of Nolan + Josefson as you say.  

I'm just worried that Smith, Baptiste, O'Regan are likely to be AAAA, but, they do deserve a shot, hopefully there arent like Luke Adam redux.

Olofsson ROR Reinhart

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Dahlin

Pilut Bogo/Nelson

Grubauer Ullmark

I like your lineup and your rationale here.

There will be at least six rookies/pseudo rookies playing for the Sabres to start next season.

Mittelstadt, Ullmark and Dahlin are givens.

And Baptiste Bailey Smith Nylander O’Reagan Olofsson Fasching Guhle Nelson Pilut and maybe even Criscuolo will all be in the mix for two or three spots left open by the departures of Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, Kane, Gorges and Falk.

Edited by dudacek

There will be at least six rookies/pseudo rookies playing for the Sabres to start next season.

Mittelstadt, Ullmark and Dahlin are givens.

And Baptiste Bailey Smith Nylander O’Reagan Olofsson Fasching Guhle Nelson Pilut and maybe even Criscuolo will all be in the mix for two or three spots left open by the departures of Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, Kane, Gorges and Falk.

I like the infusion of youth onto the roster you proposed. I think the Sabres should give the kids an opportunity, find out who is part of the long term. The summer of 2019/20 can be used to fill any holes with UFA's or trades or vets scandella and or ROR.

Though I do think Bailey will grab the bull by the horns and finally make the jump to full time NHL player.

Erod         Eichel            Bailey

XXX         ROR              Reinhart

Smth    Mittlestand        Okposo

Girgs    Larsson            Baptiste 

Pominville   13th forward     

Scandella         Risto

Dahin                Bogo

Guhle               Nelson

Pilot 7th Dman

McCabe traded for xxx

No matter which way you slice it, still has a ways to go before we can start seriously thinking about Play-offs.

When Frölunda’s HC was on WGR yesterday he mentioned two things about Olofsson,

The First was his wrist shot and how he was the first option on the PP.

The second was how much his play away from the puck has improved and his defensive zone play has improved.

A short stint in the AHL maybe all that is needed

I like the infusion of youth onto the roster you proposed. I think the Sabres should give the kids an opportunity, find out who is part of the long term. The summer of 2019/20 can be used to fill any holes with UFA's or trades or vets scandella and or ROR.

Though I do think Bailey will grab the bull by the horns and finally make the jump to full time NHL player.

Scandella         Risto

Pilot 7th Dman

McCabe traded for xxx

No matter which way you slice it, still has a ways to go before we can start seriously thinking about Play-offs.

Why do you still have Larsson and Girgensons on this team?  If anyone is being traded they should be at the top of the list.  I'd rather have kids with upside playing then these two. 

We have little in the way of trade bait.  All we really have are core players we want to keep, vets on big contracts that no one wants and prospects that we need.  if Jbot finds a wing he likes over the prospects here, why not trade away youngish Larsson and Girgensons for picks that you can package for a winger.  For example; lets says Jbot wants Rust from Pitt or Rieder from LA, maybe trade Larsson to someone for a 3rd or 4th and then package the pick and Girgensons for Reider or Rust (I admit it probably wouldn't be enough for Rust, but you get the idea).  

I like your lineup and your rationale here.

Thanks

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Scandella         Risto

Pilot 7th Dman

McCabe traded for xxx

If that is what Eichel has to deal with on the wings for another year, I give up.

Why do you still have Larsson and Girgensons on this team?  If anyone is being traded they should be at the top of the list.  I'd rather have kids with upside playing then these two. 

We have little in the way of trade bait.  All we really have are core players we want to keep, vets on big contracts that no one wants and prospects that we need.  if Jbot finds a wing he likes over the prospects here, why not trade away youngish Larsson and Girgensons for picks that you can package for a winger.  For example; lets says Jbot wants Rust from Pitt or Rieder from LA, maybe trade Larsson to someone for a 3rd or 4th and then package the pick and Girgensons for Reider or Rust (I admit it probably wouldn't be enough for Rust, but you get the idea).  

Thanks

only because they are still under contract, I won't shed a tear to see either or both being traded / waived. 

If that is what Eichel has to deal with on the wings for another year, I give up.

At this point, I don't see anyone else? any suggestions?

Someone who is not here yet. It is the number 1 priority at this point

In theory thats great but I don`t see a solution. What asset do the Sabres have to trade besides ROR? I think McCabe is a possibility but he isn`t bringing a 1st line winger.

Any UFA`s? I don`t see a great fit.  So you either trade ROR and create a hole at Center or have 2 young speedy wingers for Jack. I would rather Erod and Bailey than Girgensons and KO.

In theory thats great but I don`t see a solution. What asset do the Sabres have to trade besides ROR? I think McCabe is a possibility but he isn`t bringing a 1st line winger.

Any UFA`s? I don`t see a great fit.  So you either trade ROR and create a hole at Center or have 2 young speedy wingers for Jack. I would rather Erod and Bailey than Girgensons and KO.

Risto has value per Friedman, but it’s contigent on bringing in a Defenseman to replace him in a separate deal

Risto has value per Friedman, but it’s contigent on bringing in a Defenseman to replace him in a separate deal

Even if you bring back a capable D, how have you upgraded the team.  The way this team upgrades now is through draft and development or by spending some cap on a FA or two.

I also don't get this desire to move out a young capable D who we have overplayed the last few season simply to "Shake up" the core.  Dahlin has yet to step foot in the NHL (or be drafted for that matter) and we only have half a D group now.  Even with Dahlin we are still short one top 4 D.  So lets trade a young, physical, good skating D who generates offenses and who we have lockup for years to come at a decent salary for what; a lesser D and a mediocre winger?  

Lets trade lesser guys under contract to help our depth and use the resources here like Smith, Olofsson, Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander, O'Regan etc. in the lineup and see what they can do. Maybe just maybe a couple of these guys takes advantage of the opportunity and blossoms into a couple of the pieces we need.  If they don't we aren't worse off then we were with Pouliot, Josefson and Nolan.  The core here isn't the problem.  The depth around them is.  

The lack of depth around them is the problem.

Bingo. Trading RoR or Risto does us nothing. We just need our prospects to make it and JBott to land some depth players. Not the sexiest thing in the world but most correct solutions aren't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.