Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

That's the hardest Paul has ever worked on a column.

#yougotrussed

Most of his articles on WGR read as if he's putting to paper a legible description of his notes from the day. He was always a beat reporter to me, he spent some time and put together as nice read.  I like the positive in this.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a bit of a wee-wee contest today on Twitter involving Harrington and this guy:  https://twitter.com/MikeStrawMedia, and IMHO Harrington comes across like a bozo -- including an outright lie about what Straw reported about Lehner.

Well, then he's coming through crystal clear.

Harrington punctuated the disagreement in his article today.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/27/sabres-notebook-e-rod-bullish-on-oregan-lehner-rebukes-blogger-frantic-kane-makes-sharks-debut/

Goalie Robin Lehner laughed off a report Monday that he had asked to be traded. A local blogger who does not cover the Sabres or professional sports suddenly emerged on deadline day with an unsourced tweet that Lehner had "made it known" to management he wanted to be dealt prior to the deadline.

"That was fake news," Lehner said. "It's funny how it works. Some blogger puts something out and I don't even know who that guy is and people seem to jump on it. A bunch of Swedish websites, serious websites, quoted that one. It's hilarious in this day and age you don't have to put a source on it. It's not true. I'm happy. I'm still a Sabre."

He didn't have to vent on Twitter, but I think he closed the issue. Journalists earn and keep access. Even in today's twittersphere, non-journalists should still be vetted before being relied on.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Harrington punctuated the disagreement in his article today.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/27/sabres-notebook-e-rod-bullish-on-oregan-lehner-rebukes-blogger-frantic-kane-makes-sharks-debut/

He didn't have to vent on Twitter, but I think he closed the issue. Journalists earn and keep access. Even in today's twittersphere, non-journalists should still be vetted before being relied on.

Harrington made some childish comments on Twitter akin to the blogger and mommy's basement. Not professional at all but also not surprising.

I also would not be surprised if Lehner actually did say something off the cuff about getting traded as he probably realizes he's not part of the plan going forward. 

It's so lazy, so self-serving, and so self-promoting for Harrington to have done this.

There's a blogger out there who claims he has sources within the organization that have heard that Lehner asked to be traded.

MSM reporters -- not just Harrington, Wawrow piled on too -- chirp the guy repeatedly on Twitter. Call him a fraud and a pretender ("this isn't a Halloween party" said Harrington).

Then the MSM reporters go to Lehner and ask him it it's true what the blogger said. 

"Of course not!" says Lehner.

BAH HAHAHAHA. LOSER BLOGGER. YOU *SUCK*. YOU'RE NOT *HERE*. IN THE *ROOM*. YOU DON'T WORK ON DEADLINES. FOR A NEWSPAPER. 

Of course, anyone with a few brain cells popping can observe that Harrington's lil' faux Alpha dog flexing did nothing to eliminate the possibility that Lehner *did* request a trade and that the blogger *did* have sources in the organization, who, UNLIKE LEHNER, would have no reason to hide or obscure the truth of what Lehner may have said.

*JUST* when I thought I could not despise that chinless derp any more.

It's so lazy, so self-serving, and so self-promoting for Harrington to have done this.

There's a blogger out there who claims he has sources within the organization that have heard that Lehner asked to be traded.

MSM reporters -- not just Harrington, Wawrow piled on too -- chirp the guy repeatedly on Twitter. Call him a fraud and a pretender ("this isn't a Halloween party" said Harrington).

Then the MSM reporters go to Lehner and ask him it it's true what the blogger said. 

BAH HAHAHAHA. LOSER BLOGGER. YOU *SUCK*. YOU'RE NOT *HERE*. IN THE *ROOM*. YOU DON'T WORK ON DEADLINES. FOR A NEWSPAPER. 

Of course, anyone with a few brain cells popping can observe that Harrington's lil' faux Alpha dog flexing did nothing to eliminate the possibility that Lehner *did* request a trade and that the blogger *did* have sources in the organization, who, UNLIKE LEHNER, would have no reason to hide or obscure the truth of what Lehner may have said.

This.

I'm convinced, now more than ever, that the blogger actually did have a scoop and Lehner did ask for a trade.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that's the truth.

But what of it? He's no great shakes.

I'd also bet dollars to donuts that the blogger has more sources in the organization than Harrington. (If he has 1 -- that's more than zero.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

Do the Sabres still give bloggers press passes?

It's funny that the blogger's sourcing would be criticized. Not naming a source, or even characterizing who the source is? That's what Mike, Hammy and the boys do all the time. I suspect Wawrow is a bit more respectable in that area, given that he works for the AP.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that's the truth.

But what of it? He's no great shakes.

I'd also bet dollars to donuts that the blogger has more sources in the organization than Harrington. (If he has 1 -- that's more than zero.)

Sounds about right.

It's funny that the blogger's sourcing would be criticized. Not naming a source, or even characterizing who the source is? That's what Mike, Hammy and the boys do all the time. I suspect Wawrow is a bit more respectable in that area, given that he works for the AP.

Wawrow never has any scoops though. He has to be on the straight and narrow so if you're a "source" why would you even talk to him? He won't report it until after it's already happened.

Wawrow never has any scoops though. He has to be on the straight and narrow so if you're a "source" why would you even talk to him? He won't report it until after it's already happened.

His “Hmmm’s” on Twitter, though.

Brandon is pretty clearly someone who will speak through Wawrow, at times, right?

I guess that’s different than a source, come to think of it.

The Sabres have no spine and don’t stand up for each other

O’Reilly and Eichel hate each other.

Housley is a purse packer and a snowflake stroker.

Lehner is the worst goalie in the NHL

The Pegulas meddle too much

The NHL hates Buffalo and rigged the lottery

Whatever floats your boat.

For me, it’s “we don’t have enough good players”

Thanks. Soap opera mentality runs rampant around here.

Wawrow actually piled on more, longer, and later at night.  I thought he actually ended up looking worse than Harrington.  Recall back in the day when Drane and Wawrow (mostly Wawrow, mostly late at night) would go at it.  Some of the phrasing Wawrow used was even familiar from those Drane back and forths.  I'm probably in big trouble now.  Wawrow seems to have thin skin  :ph34r:

Wawrow actually piled on more, longer, and later at night.  I thought he actually ended up looking worse than Harrington.  Recall back in the day when Drane and Wawrow (mostly Wawrow, mostly late at night) would go at it.  Some of the phrasing Wawrow used was even familiar from those Drane back and forths.  I'm probably in big trouble now.  Wawrow seems to have thin skin  :ph34r:

If anyone would care to meet John, he shows up at the Two Bills drive season opener tailgate every year. He's a good guy, although I didn't really understand this latest back and forth. I expected that from MH or perhaps TG.

If anyone would care to meet John, he shows up at the Two Bills drive season opener tailgate every year. He's a good guy, although I didn't really understand this latest back and forth. I expected that from MH or perhaps TG.

Interesting, but I'll pass.  I'm not much into the Bills or of Wawrow, considering what I've seen of him on here.

Wawrow actually piled on more, longer, and later at night.  

Did he really? That really is a shame. Disappointing, to say the least.

Good on him for attending that and being a good guy when he does. I had thought he was above or beyond that sort of activity, but the Cheektowaga blogger really seemed to touch a nerve with the local MSM sportswriters. The MSM writers did NOT cover themselves in glory by pillorying the blogger. My visceral reaction to what they were going was the same sort of feeling I've had when I felt prompted to stop bullying behaviour.

Teams are frequently slashing hacking hitting Cindy and Pittsburg rarely if ever responds by starting a big fight or brawl. I do think this team is coming together as time passes and will only get better, which is more then we can say for many other teams in the NHL.

Did he really? That really is a shame. Disappointing, to say the least.

Good on him for attending that and being a good guy when he does. I had thought he was above or beyond that sort of activity, but the Cheektowaga blogger really seemed to touch a nerve with the local MSM sportswriters. The MSM writers did NOT cover themselves in glory by pillorying the blogger. My visceral reaction to what they were going was the same sort of feeling I've had when I felt prompted to stop bullying behaviour.

No idea what happened there. Rob Quinn gets under his skin, so he may have lashed out on a hot-button topic for him. This isn't his usual personality, so I'm not bothered. The others are a different story.

No idea what happened there. Rob Quinn gets under his skin, so he may have lashed out on a hot-button topic for him. This isn't his usual personality, so I'm not bothered. The others are a different story.

It was a guy named Mike Straw. He has a Twitter handle of @MikeStrawMedia

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.